Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My K&n Induction System On A Ford Focus 1.6Tdci

footfistart

hello all, before i start this is my first thread which involves pics.....

As you are aware i make a topic called green cotton vs kn induction and now i have my kn fitted i thought id show you all hows its done. even though its the same as fitting a green cotton but ive done thing else to the system. To aid the induction i have also removed the snorkel that starts from the right hand side of the car and goes to the air box. i have many pics so please feel free to comment and ask questions.

firstly i gained acces to the airbox.

post-27911-0-88855800-1360345774_thumb.j

next undo the four bolts that hold the airbox lid on to the airbox structure.

post-27911-0-76968600-1360347938_thumb.j

now at this point the lid will pull away and you will have acess to the air filter.

post-27911-0-08969700-1360348129_thumb.j

Now what i did at this stage was I removed the securing securing screws that hold the grill to the car. There is a reason for this and ill show you.

post-27911-0-32611800-1360348230_thumb.j

post-27911-0-93100500-1360348309_thumb.j

To improve futher airflow to the airbox further i removed the snorkel which was the reason why i removed the screws for the grill to gain access. In the next picture you can see that i have unshipped the grill and the top plastic cover which covers the snorkel. i didnt remove the grill i just lossened it as i wasnt too sure on how to remove it. i didnt want to make too much work for a job that take around ten minutes also if you get me......

post-27911-0-57550100-1360348399_thumb.j

once the access was there i removed the snorkel. this is easy but it doesnt come straight out. you have to weave the snorkel out towards the right of the car (left as your looking at it) due to the bonnet lock being in the way but its easy to remove the snorkel. Once removed refit all the securing screws to the body work and now filter fitting time.

post-27911-0-86764200-1360349955_thumb.j

here is the old filter(well new as the car has just been serviced)

post-27911-0-03106600-1360348789_thumb.j

and here is what the standard filter looks inside.

post-27911-0-69185800-1360348820_thumb.j

while the airbox is empty give it a good clean. remove the box if you have to... its held down with two rubber mounts... remember to remove the breather pipe before hand otherwise you may inflict damage to the breahter pipe.

Anyways here is the k&n filter in hand wrapped up. Good eBay bargain. arond 37squids brand new. part number if anyone wants to know is E-2993.

post-27911-0-76101500-1360349176_thumb.j

post-27911-0-87156400-1360349211_thumb.j

they dont come oiled so clean and oil your filter before install. for this purpose i havent oiled it due to showing you peeps how its done.. anyways here below is what it looks like fitted in the engine bay.

post-27911-0-76234800-1360349436_thumb.j

post-27911-0-94628400-1360349483_thumb.j

Here is the k&n filter internals.... looks alot better than the standard filter dont you think?

post-27911-0-66237200-1360349567_thumb.j

here is the difference between the two filters. what i didnt know was that the filter is slightly offset.. dont know if this is the same with the green cotton filters....?

once your filter is installed into the intake pipe make sure you line up the plastic disc at the end of the filter in the grooves otherwise your top filter housing assembly will not fit correctly and will not sit. refit the bolts that you removed on removal and remove all tools from area.

now start your engine up and give it a whirl.

what i found was that there wasnt alot of difference when the engine had know loads apart from the noise. well you can here the turbo spool up abit louder :). but when your out driving there is a good difference. the responce is improved and i think with that snorkel removed there is much more air for the enigne to suck in and with thatshort scoop your left with when you remove the snorkelacts as a ram and it does make a difference.

i also tried it with the snorkel back one. but ive decided that its staying off as its not doing any favours to k&n....

i have written done my fuel consuption and then in a months time ill see if there is any difference and by then that will give the ecu a change to adjust. my MPG is 60.7 and thats with normal driving motoway and town driving....

anyways i hope you have enjoyed this and i hope that this will help you decide to either go for k&n or green cotton.

one last thing remember to look on eBay for bargins..

happy reading

post-27911-0-76551300-1360349818_thumb.j

Problem is with k and n filters is that the oil used on them will eventually contaminate the maf sensor and cause running problems.It happens to most cars with mafs fitted so make sure you clean the mafs on a regular basis.Good job, it looks great.Had one on my honda jazz(don't laugh) sounded awesome.

Problem with removing the snorkel, not so much on diesel with a turbo... but on petrol models without a turbo.

Is it can actually reduce performance, because the purpose of the snorkel is so it sucks in cool air from the outside of the engine bay through the front of the car.

Without the snorkel, its sucking in warm/hot air from inside the engine bay, which is less dense and can effect performance.

BUT, above as I said mostly applies to petrol models without a turbo, doesnt apply so much to diesel models with a turbo because you have the intercooler which cools the air down anyway, but it still will be a few degrees hotter when leaving the intercooler than it would of been because the air entering it is slightly hotter because its not only been heated by the turbo, but the engine bay as well.

Good thread though on K&N Filter, I was looking at the kit K&N do which includes a replacement improved airbox cover as well,

http://tinyurl.com/byfeonj

Now all you need is an Airtec Gen 3 to improve the airflow other side of the turbo and cooling the air charge and your car will take off lol

just like to add ram air only works over 100mph

good thread tho

just like to add ram air only works over 100mph

good thread tho

They tested NA (naturally aspirated/ non turbo) F1 cars with massive (ram air) scoops on them, above the drivers head, it was found it gave 3% supercharge at 180mph, but only if there was no air filter , fitting a filter negated the effect

One of the early bikes fitted with a ram- air system (a Ducati - can't remember which one, it was in Performance bikes, years ago) produced LESS power with the ram -air system than with the top of the airbox removed, they could not understand this untill they worked out the ram air purposely restricted the airflow at lower speeds to improve traction, (by reducing power) and increased airflow/ power at higher speeds, (the fuel injection system maintained the correct air- fuel ratio)

On a road car a "ram air" is usually a waste of time, and there is unlikely to be any advantage, it is liable to suck in more flies, dirt, dust etc, contaminating the filter and reducing airflow /power in the long run, on a turbo-diesel the turbo does most of the work so a "ram air" has even less effect

Problem with removing the snorkel, not so much on diesel with a turbo... but on petrol models without a turbo.

Is it can actually reduce performance, because the purpose of the snorkel is so it sucks in cool air from the outside of the engine bay through the front of the car.

Without the snorkel, its sucking in warm/hot air from inside the engine bay, which is less dense and can effect performance.

doesnt apply so much to diesel models with a turbo because you have the intercooler which cools the air down anyway,

but it still will be a few degrees hotter when leaving the intercooler than it would of been because the air entering it is slightly hotter because its not only been heated by the turbo, but the engine bay as well.

Even on a turbo car with a massive intercooler if the air is drawn from under the bonnet (eg - cone air filter) it can significantly reduce performance, especially on a hot day with an un-vented bonnet - the underbonnet temps can "soar" - like an oven, the intercooler can suffer from heatsoak, and because the intercoller is air-air, it relies on the temprature difference to cool the air inside, - altogether this can have a "knock on effect" wich can lead to pinking/ missing/ poor running (specially if the car is sitting around with the engine running - in traffic etc)

Even if the intercooler was capable of reducing the air temps at its output to a sufficient amount,(highly unlikely) the hotter air entering the compressor would have a larger volume, = less oxegen per square inch = less power (for a given intake diameter)

So better off with a good cool- air inlet/ CAIS on any car - NA (naturally asperated) or FI (forced induction/ turbo).

Right snorkel refitted and the car seems to run even better and with abit louder too :)

Hi

How on earth are you noticing a difference in the sound it makes ?

4th gear performance is very noticeably improved it flys from 40 right through to 90 (is this normal)

I think a remap will give me a better gain.

I just wish it would Grunt like a scania 11 litre engine :-(

before u say yes i know the 11 litre is a straight six and is considerably bigger than my ickly tiny foci engine

Jamie

See, its better with the snorkel!

Not only is the snorkel probably designed in such a way to smooth out the airflow, which is why it probably has the hole in the bottom as well at the front, but it's now sucking fresh cold air in from outside rather than warm air from around the engine bay.

the oil does not contaminate the maf we had this with vw claiming this and the mafs were sent to k and n and independantly tested the mafs were in fact fine and even dosed in oil it did not effect the maf at all this is just rubbish the dealers tell you k and n will test any maf a dealer says was faulty caused by there filters

All ram air systems do is give you pub bhp points, kills real bhp. Honestly, don't change your filter unless you're doing a lot of extra power. Just change the panel.

Well each car reacts differently. Like I was reading somewhere had a perfromance package fitting and instead of giving what is should of done which was about 35hp. I gave another 30 on top of that Nd this was tested again on the same car with the same stuff and same map but goes to show each engine reacts differently. But anyways yeah there is more noise and turbo doesn't struggle as much. But I need to give it time for the ecu to settle down to the changes. Yeah snorkel is there for a reason and seems much happier. :) oh really see I thought that was a load of crap. If kn or anything new that oil was going to ruin your maf then they would of came up with some other idea to compact this. They done have a million mule warrenty for not reason. And the reason why I changed was one I can't go to panel as I have a cyclinder type and two is on a long run as I'm keeping the car for as long as I can... Is that it's one less thing to pay for when it's serviced.

Well each car reacts differently. Like I was reading somewhere had a perfromance package fitting and instead of giving what is should of done which was about 35hp. I gave another 30 on top of that Nd this was tested again on the same car with the same stuff and same map but goes to show each engine reacts differently. But anyways yeah there is more noise and turbo doesn't struggle as much. But I need to give it time for the ecu to settle down to the changes. Yeah snorkel is there for a reason and seems much happier. :) oh really see I thought that was a load of crap. If kn or anything new that oil was going to ruin your maf then they would of came up with some other idea to compact this. They done have a million mule warrenty for not reason. And the reason why I changed was one I can't go to panel as I have a cyclinder type and two is on a long run as I'm keeping the car for as long as I can... Is that it's one less thing to pay for when it's serviced.

That technically is a panel filter in my eyes, even though it's not :P it's just a replacement for the original filter. I have a K&N in mine, doesn't seem to have made much difference to me, but then again I'm always the sceptic :P