Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2013 - Eco Boost Performance Questions

Paulospanda

Hey Guys

I picked up my new Titanium X 2013 (125 ecoboost) Fiesta last week after a long wait without a car.

I just want to asked other people with the 100/125 Ecoboost engines for their experience so far, because i'm finding it weird to drive and Im not sure if it's me, an engine problem or something I just need to get used to. Because the car wasn't available when I ordered it for a test drive I actually went in a focus and TBH I think they are very different.

- How do you find the engine at low revs? - The car is rapid when you put your foot down but seems to struggle at cruising speed.

- In other cars I drive I usually race to 5th gear but with the Ecoboost I have to stay in lower gears much longer. Is this Normal?

- 3rd seems to struggle(Can hear the engine) with anything below 26mph. Do you find the same?

- 4th after about 40~42 but I can't really get into 5th until around 48/50. While in other cars I'd get into 5th around 40. Do you find the same?

Maybe it's a case of getting used to it. Everything else about the car is awesome so far. Sync, the heated seats and keyless entry are amazing. I've seen a lot of people talk about "Drive the deal" on here and I can confirm they are great. I got a very good price and everything when through smoothly.

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!

• Like 1

Maybe you need to run it in for a few thousand to loosen up.

I had a test drive in a 125ps to compare against my 1.6 TDCi and I was very impressed, low revs brilliant and on the motorway relaxed and quiet against my diesel.

What were you driving before?

An older fiesta 1.4 Mk6 Facelift.

I'm slightly worried about it actually because noone else has commented on the performance I'm seeing with it. I think for the whole time ive driven I tend to race to 5th gear, so having to hold in the lower gears is strange. So yeah, don't know if it's me or an actual problem.

I have the 100ps version in my Zetec

Same as yourself I test drove the engine in the Focus as i ordered at the start of December

The ecoboost engine's although not fully blown econetic do seem to share the same longer gearbox ratio's as the econetic's

I came from Mk7 1.25l Zetec and find the ecoboost happier to sit a gear lower but pulling the same rev's as the 1.25l would have. 30mph in the 1.25l it would have sat in 4th, ecoboost sit's in 3rd better. I now change gear for every 10mph, 1st up to 10mph, 2nd up to 20 etc. suit's the engine better

100ps it lively for it's size, can feel the turbo coming on about 1,800 rpm, no lag. Fair better at crusing than the 1,25, pulling 2,500rpm at 70 compared 3,500

Currently getting 40mpg average, mostly around town

I was impressed with my test drive, it was a new car so I kept the revs down but it drove just like a quiet diesel and the gearing felt very similar to my diesel. I used to have a 1.4 Zetec S petrol and that had to be revved hard to get the performance.

- How do you find the engine at low revs? - The car is rapid when you put your foot down but seems to struggle at cruising speed.

- In other cars I drive I usually race to 5th gear but with the Ecoboost I have to stay in lower gears much longer. Is this Normal?

- 3rd seems to struggle(Can hear the engine) with anything below 26mph. Do you find the same?

- 4th after about 40~42 but I can't really get into 5th until around 48/50. While in other cars I'd get into 5th around 40. Do you find the same?

What do you expect from this size of engine - its not a tractor

The gearbox (and different ratios) are there for a reason - if it was an electric car it might function with 1 gear

Its simply a combination of small engine with relatively low power and torque at low revs, and high gearing, changing up too early is bad practice and not good for the engine, transmission or for economy

Some (very few) cars can pull strongly from 30mph in top, others need to be "revved" in lower gears, even if you are cruising, you may have to drop a gear to climb a hill, use the revs/ gears, keep it in the power - don't let it labor - rev it a bit more in each gear and it will be fine

Cheers for the replies guys, I just wanted to make sure that's how the engine should be. Like I said, when It is in the right place the car is rapid, It's just a big change in the way I drive.

As stated, although the Ecoboost is a good step forward in engine technology (better than the offerings of the other manufacturers in my eyes), it is still a 3 cylinder engine, although it has the capacity of a 4 cylinder engine perhaps, it's still going to be down because the torque the engine itself produces is lower. Now I know there's a turbo strapped to it, which helps negate this, but it still has the problem.

Not taking anything away from the engine, it's cracking in my mind and but for my mileage I'd have had the 1.0 Ecoboost with 125PS, but it still has those drawbacks. Usually economy comes with performance downsides. Tbh, just wait til' Mountune get round to giving it some treatment!

I will take delivery of a 1litre ecoboost 100 bhp in a Fiesta Titanium on 1st March. I test drove the engine before ordering in a Fiesta Zetec. I am used to diesels but was very impressed with this engine so I bought one. I am hearing conflicting reports as to its fuel consumption - nothing like that claimed by Ford. What are members experiences?

As stated, although the Ecoboost is a good step forward in engine technology (better than the offerings of the other manufacturers in my eyes), it is still a 3 cylinder engine, although it has the capacity of a 4 cylinder engine perhaps, it's still going to be down because the torque the engine itself produces is lower. Now I know there's a turbo strapped to it, which helps negate this, but it still has the problem.

Not taking anything away from the engine, it's cracking in my mind and but for my mileage I'd have had the 1.0 Ecoboost with 125PS, but it still has those drawbacks. Usually economy comes with performance downsides. Tbh, just wait til' Mountune get round to giving it some treatment!

I'd have to agree with bigdave on the subject, even though I'm not a technical person, I imagine its got something to do with it being a 3 cylinder engine. My daughter as a 2010 KA (similar engine without the turbo) and that needs to be rev'd hard to get high speeds. But the wife's Focus Titanium X 1.6 ecoboost, sits quite happy in 6th gear doing 35mph and you can still floor the right hand pedal to make the ca go.

Hey Guys

I picked up my new Titanium X 2013 (125 ecoboost) Fiesta last week after a long wait without a car.

What colour did you go for and have you got plenty of pics? how does the fog lights and lower grill look as they are different to the other models but there is no pics out there. the seats look very comfy too are they? ive had mine on order from Dec and should have it first week in march

Yes, yes, use the gears if you want it to get up and go.

What we want to know is can you really get Diesel mpg? (Just brimmed my 1.6tdci after 505 miles, abit of urban, some cross country and lots of motorway (including 1hr+ sat in post accident hold up.....), 57.5mpg)

Hey Peter

It was annoying for me ordering the car not having seen it, using the limited images from Ford. I've snapped up a few pictures for you of the car which should highlight the differences of the Titanium X. I only really got that trim because of the Power start button (I find it so cool!!).

At the moment the heated seats are so amazing! I also love the little touch on the seatbelts as well. I didnt really care when buying the car lol.

I'm not 100% sure how to attach photos on the forum here so If you pm me your email I can send them over to you. (My car is much dirtier already because of the grit on the road)

As for the MPG question...

I'm trying to drive the car as indicated by the shift arrow and have full green leafs on the eco setting. I'm only currently getting around 41.5MPG (Mostly town driving/a little motorway) But the dealership and pretty much the entire internet has stated that the car will need to run in a little before it will peak.

I have some faith in that it will improve, but for me this is a huge upgrade after my 1.4 mk6 zetec.

I'm not 100% sure how to attach photos on the forum here so If you pm me your email I can send them over to you. (My car is much dirtier already because of the grit on the road)

PM sent with my email it if Thank you

IMG_0627_zps3d95d266.jpg

Here's a picture of my new pride and joy :D

(Thanks to Peter for the photobucket link, very easy to use)

Just my 2 pence worth…

I have had mine over a week now… like I said in my other thread I am really impressed.

The drive adjusts to your driving I have been told so it will show the arrow when to change gear according the person and how you usually drive. I found the arrow used to come up early on the older fiesta and I would just ignore it and stay in gear longer. With the MPG I am currently getting 36mpg and have only done 270 but i don't drive slow, and when I asked my dealer said it will take a long time to bed in and work out the real mpg. Overall, I mean its great can't complain so far. Apart from mine came without aluminium sports pedals but the dealer is fitting them for me. :)

I also love the little touch on the seatbelts as well.

Hi, glad your enjoying your new Fiesta.

Just one quick question, what's different about the seat belts?

We have both a Mk7 pre-facelift Fiesta S1600 & a Mk3 Focus Titanium X, but I've not noticed any difference in the seat belts.

Thanks

IMG_0627_zps3d95d266.jpg

Here's a picture of my new pride and joy :D

Looks superb, your making me jealous, I've still not got my delivery date yet for my Panther Black ST2

The seatbelts have small "Midnight grey" strips down them. I didnt pay much attention to them on the trim specs but It looks pretty good.

I love the front of the STs Milko, hope it arrives soon!

I love the front of the STs Milko, hope it arrives soon!

Cheers for comment.

I'm hoping it hurries up too.

My current Fiesta (Mk7 Fiesta PB S1600) currently needs a new bumper after I was involved in minor RTA last week on the M1. Just waiting for the bodyshop to get the parts and then the front end will be repaired and resprayed. Someone will now get themselves a real bargain. The only thing that was wrong with Fiesta was the pitting on the front bumper after doing 1000's of motorway miles.

Sorry it was off topic.

First time posting on the site but I've been an on and off again long time reader (since 2007).

We've just swapped my fiance's 2011 1.25 Zetec for a 100PS Zetec Ecoboost and at first we too were a bit miffed at the driving experience. We both decided that it could do with an extra gear like the Focus instead of the 5 speeder fitted on the Fiesta.

To me it appears that its been geared just a tad too high for economy's sake. Whilst this is beneficial on the motorway as you settle into a 70mph(ish) cruise around 2500rpm, it leaves the engine labouring at town speeds if you try to use 4th.

That said if you get it right and surf the turbo torque beween 1700-3000rpm the engine is mighty fun compared to the 1.25 or 1.4 Duratec of old. Plus the fact that it isn't costing a penny in tax means that even with a few extra £'s at the pump you can have a fun car that doesn't break the bank too much.

I'm currently awaiting a Zetec S 125PS for myself in exchange for my S1600 so I'll be interested to see what the higher output is like in exchange for the 1.6 mouth-breather...

P.S. We've just clocked up 800miles in ours (probably 50/50 urban/motorway) and we're getting 38.5mpg avg since day 1. I might reset the avg trip after 1000 and see what occurs.

I'm glad someoneelse agrees.

I love my car and I can easily adapt to holding out in the lower gears but I was very suprised this wasnt mentioned (Clearly) by any of the reviews, so I started to worry if my engine was broken in some way.

• 1 month later...

IMG_0627_zps3d95d266.jpg

Here's a picture of my new pride and joy biggrin.png

Very nice, any chance you can take pics of the dash/bezel & also some at night as well

Also do you get the heated seat switches on the dash or on the side of the seats like the all leather pack?

Mate has just ordered a black titanium x with leather pack

Edited by leedebs

Got a new White Zetec 100hp version and have to say i am surprised some people talking of lacking power in lower rev's. I have found mine to pull very easily in 4th at 30mph, properly equal to that of old mk3 2.0ltr tdci Mondeo which this car has replaced.

Been very amazed at how well this little car performs, did wonder if id regret getting something so small but so far the engine hasn't disappointed at all.

Pretty much only been town driving in mine, with small 1mile long at best duel carriage way stints and some back roads, ok i havent yet used full throttle or actually rev'd the motor past 4,500rpm as it only has a few hundred miles on the clock, (still on my first tank full) but i havent been granny careful, but i am getting 42mpg, and climbing the more i drive it!. Which is miles better then the 27mpg my tank was doing on the same drive/use.

Question for everyone though what fuel are you putting in?

I noticed when i read on the small print of Fords data that there stated mpg's where with Premium grade fuel, so i filled up with Shell v-power, before seeing that the car needs a min requirement of 95ron.