Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Painting Calipers, On Moondust Silver Focus Mk2 .5

Lenny

Hi all,

Im planning to paint my front calipers in the coming weeks and I'm thinking to paint either

Red

Or

Yellow (dull yellow)

What do you guys suggest?

Here is a side image if anyone wants to photoshop

IMG_20130110_151418.jpg

I'm thinking of doing mine red :)

Would match the S badges nicely on the fenders,

Maybe some silver Brembo high heat resistant vynil decals for on top of the red.

Sounds good mate,

Would match the S badges nicely on the fenders,

Maybe some silver brembo high heat resistant vynil decals for on top of the red.

Sounds good mate,

That sounds like a plan!

Let me know what stuff you buy Lenny :)

I've used foliatec caliper paint twice before,

It comes in two tins along with an aerosol can of cleaner, I recommend going to your local pound shop and buying a pyrex jug with measurements printed on the side of it to use for mixing the paint to the lacquar for best results.

I've also painted the engine block on my first car with the stuff,

Hopfully my local Halfords has got it in stock this Thursday, if they do then hopfully get good weather at the weekend.

Id buy it on eBay but it would be stopped by customs in the uk prior to dispatch due to the can of spray inside,

So I've gotta pay Halfords prices on this one.

Here are some pictures of using it before lol

Picture008.jpg

Picture011.jpg

I would go for the Red as well Lenny , it will match in nice with the Silver

I would go for the Red as well Lenny , it will match in nice with the Silver

Thanks mate,

Just checked Halfords online store for foliatec rosso red caliper paint and its out of stock in both stores that are close to me.

What brand of paint did you use on yours mate?

Think I mentioned to you before that I went for a dark blue on my Machine Silver Mondeo ZS to match the blue in the centre caps. Had thought about red to tie in with the S badges I had on it as well, but given how common red calipers are round these parts I preferred the more subtle dark blue. Really bright pinks, greens and blues seem the choice option around the town hall car park these days though! Wouldn't be too keen on the Brembo decals if I'm honest, but they do look well in that pic of your first car so go for it.

Have done the calipers on my Focus as well with the same tin and love the match with my Jeans Blue paint and the blue in the centre caps. I've had a look through my pics but can't seem to find any of my calipers on either car. Plan on getting a wheel refurb in the next month or two as well so will be giving the calipers a freshen up when I do.

I went for a tin of Hammerite and just brushed it on.

Looks good mate,

Shame I can't get it shipped over though,

Think I'll make the journey to the Halfords store 2hours away that still has the foliatec in stock.

Doesn't look as though the weather will be up to it this weekend for painting them but atleast I'll have the kit ready.

Think I mentioned to you before that I went for a dark blue on my Machine Silver Mondeo ZS to match the blue in the centre caps. Had thought about red to tie in with the S badges I had on it as well, but given how common red calipers are round these parts I preferred the more subtle dark blue. Really bright pinks, greens and blues seem the choice option around the town hall car park these days though! Wouldn't be too keen on the brembo decals if I'm honest, but they do look well in that pic of your first car so go for it.

Have done the calipers on my Focus as well with the same tin and love the match with my Jeans Blue paint and the blue in the centre caps. I've had a look through my pics but can't seem to find any of my calipers on either car. Plan on getting a wheel refurb in the next month or two as well so will be giving the calipers a freshen up when I do.

I went for a tin of Hammerite and just brushed it on.

Sounds good mate,

But tell the truth about the Brembo decals lol loads of people actually thought they were proper Brembo.

I've used hammerite smooth finish silver on the rear drums and worked well.

IMG_20130110_160325.jpg

IMG_20130110_160420.jpg

But tell the truth about the brembo decals lol

Haha! I know you're open to opinions and take them the right way, as they're just that - opinions and nothing more, so I'm happy enough to be up front knowing you won't take offence. Really grates my cheese when people come on to a forum asking opinions, then get ratty if the opinions they've just asked for aren't exactly what they wanted to hear! But I digress...

Luckily enough pal you seem to have a serious knack of making the right choice when it comes to your wagon so I'd be confident whatever you go for will be done to a high standard and ultimately match in with the standards you've already set and complement the look of the rest of the car.

Hammerite smooth is the stuff aye, rear drums looking well. Are you keeping them silver or gonna do them the same colour you do the front calipers?

By the way, I just used the online stock-checker for that paint in my local Halfords and it came up as in stock for a quantity of one, but not for two. If you want to look into the cost of me grabbing it for you and posting it down, as opposed to the 2hr diesel money, just let me know. I go past the store pretty much every day so wouldn't be any hassle.

This is the right stuff isn't it? Nearly half price too! http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_218763_langId_-1_categoryId_212506

Haha! I know you're open to opinions and take them the right way, as they're just that - opinions and nothing more, so I'm happy enough to be up front knowing you won't take offence. Really grates my cheese when people come on to a forum asking opinions, then get ratty if the opinions they've just asked for aren't exactly what they wanted to hear! But I digress...

Luckily enough pal you seem to have a serious knack of making the right choice when it comes to your wagon so I'd be confident whatever you go for will be done to a high standard and ultimately match in with the standards you've already set and complement the look of the rest of the car.

Hammerite smooth is the stuff aye, rear drums looking well. Are you keeping them silver or gonna do them the same colour you do the front calipers?

By the way, I just used the online stock-checker for that paint in my local Halfords and it came up as in stock for a quantity of one, but not for two. If you want to look into the cost of me grabbing it for you and posting it down, as opposed to the 2hr diesel money, just let me know. I go past the store pretty much every day so wouldn't be any hassle.

This is the right stuff isn't it? Nearly half price too! http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_218763_langId_-1_categoryId_212506

I don't take offence to opinions at all, and agree some people can get very ratty when they don't like your input.

I plan to keep the drums smooth silver, I prefer them to look like discs.

Thanks for the kind words on choice of mods too, I always run any ideas through the forum first just to be sure I'm not about to wreck it lol

The link you have their for foliatec is exactly the stuff mate.

Only Halfords this side of Dublin that has it in stock is waterford,

Very kind of you to offer to purchase and post, if you didn't mind doing it for me I'll pay you 50euro to cover cost of item,postage and your time. I can send you payment on thursday 14th Febuary via PayPal

A Halfords paper bag cut and turned inside out would do for shipping cover,

Bit of selotape on it.

Good call on the drums I reckon, looks a lot cleaner than if you went with red to match the calipers.

Will PM you about the caliper paint.

Good call on the drums I reckon, looks a lot cleaner than if you went with red to match the calipers.

Will PM you about the caliper paint.

Thanks mate,

Don't think I'll be welding on brackets to hold fake calipers like the guys in mighty mods neither lol

Think its this episode:

update on the Calipers and painting.

Gforce has been very helpful in the sourcing of a foliatec rosso red caliper paint kit from Halfords but when reserved at his local store; Halfords phoned to say its no longer in stock,

I too made the trip to Halfords in waterford today having searched halfords website for a store with the kit in stock I made the 2hr trip with my reservation number in hand, only to be told "computer says no"

Its not reserved and wasn't in stock at time of reservation yesterday, so I had to improvise and purchase some halfords kid instead because halfords no longer stock foliatec caliper painting kit.

Here is what I purchased instead of the foliatec kit:

Halfords Brake Caliper Paint (Red)....15.99euro

Halfords Paint Preperation Wipes......03.29euro

Halfords Brake Caliper Cleaner..........13.99euro

Harris Paint brushes...........................05.29euro

Unibond Masking Tape.......................03.75euro

Halfords were asking silly money for paint brush and masking tape so I diverted to Woodies Diy store for those items, saved 5 euro still spent more than I was expecting to just to get some colour on the calipers, but reading the tin of caliper paint it says to use the caliper cleaner and preperation wipes,

Had the foliatec kit been available would have been half the price for the kit that includes caliper cleaner.

IMG_20130214_192508_zps034f035f.jpg

All I need now is the weather, although I now believe good weather is easier to find than a foliatec caliper paint kit in ireland lol

Hopfully the halfords red is a nice shade because their isint any colour decal on the lid, just says red.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes out.

Thanks mate,

If the weather is good tomorrow evening or Sunday I'll make a start on them and upload some images.

update on the calipers,

It was a late start today as I was in work 7-3 but I got started on the drivers side first at 16:02 and put the spare tyre on an 18:05 just encase a drop of red got on the alloy,

I will get the passenger side done tomorrow aswell as some silver on the flat section of the discs.

Halfords red is brighter than I was expecting and although solvent based paint, it goes on very water like, so took two coats to get right.

I also give the caliper a rub with a wire brush to loosen the carbon prior to using the Halfords cleaning products.

Finally I wrapped the front of the steel rim with some plastic bags to protect the caliper from rain or wind (dust) overnight and allow it best drying protection, I left a space to fit the nuts on the hub, then blocked the space with another bag.

Here are some images of the progress;

IMG_20130216_201405_zps8dc8f9ba.jpg

IMG_20130216_201426_zpsbd087435.jpg

IMG_20130216_201343_zps022694e1.jpg

IMG_20130216_201245_zps5168290c.jpg

IMG_20130216_201226_zps55483045.jpg

IMG_20130216_201105_zps10759306.jpg

IMG_20130216_204741_zps8917e51c.jpg

IMG_20130216_205130_zps119a9612.jpg

IMG_20130216_201127_zps645f0340.jpg

Had planned to be painting the passenger side caliper at present,

But thanks to fords fantastic build quality on the wheel nuts; I'm unable to remove two of them on the front passenger side wheel so a trip to the local tyre fitting shop tomorrow morning is required,

Hopfully the weather is still good tomorrow, so as I can finally complete painting.

I had planned to purchase some better quality wheel nuts next month but wasn't expecting to have this trouble today.

Got up this morning,

Straight down to tyre fitters and got the wheel nuts removed then replaced,

Straight home and fitted alloy back on drivers side followed by removing the passenger side alloy and painting the caliper on that side too.

So now both sides are matching and complete,

Drivers side caliper needs a bit of a touch up, but I'll get to in another day as I'm in work tonite at 11pm and gotta get some sleep,

Anyway here is two images of the drivers side with alloy refitted and the rest are images of the passenger side caliper.

IMG_20130218_155820_zps6b8f9bac.jpg

IMG_20130218_155844_zps9e386877.jpg

IMG_20130218_155621_zpsba6c1fa3.jpg

IMG_20130218_155518_zps8c703497.jpg

IMG_20130218_155755_zps676f4508.jpg

IMG_20130218_155728_zpsac16f040.jpg

IMG_20130218_155911_zpsa9b9b28e.jpg

IMG_20130218_160146_zps685f0943.jpg

IMG_20130218_155951_zps71b448a4.jpg

Very nice Lenny looks great , not too bright at all , looks really good m8 , what are you doing with theback , leaving them silver?

Very nice Lenny looks great , not too bright at all , looks really good m8 , what are you doing with theback , leaving them silver?

Thanks Preee,

I haven't got calipers on the rear, just drum brakes, so I had painted them with hammerite smooth silver and seems to be lasting well,

Considering doing the spacer section of the front discs silver too, as it will become more visible when the bigger rims are fitted.

half tempted to paint my calipers a cool blue, something of an electric blue nature... may have to experiment with photoshop and try and talk the missus into letting me do it :P

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club