Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Zetec security question

moworm

Hi

I have recently bought a Yr 2000 Focus Zetec Estate that I'm generally very pleased with, however, a couple of days ago it got broken into and I don't think that the alarm went off.

Basically they smashed the front passenger side window and stole the factory fitted stereo. Later that night the police apprehended some people in possession of 16 car stereos, all from Ford Focus'. This suggests that these cars are targeted for some reason. The most plausible suggestion for this seems to be a combination of 2 factors:

1) Ford were a bit stingy at fitting CD players to a lot of vehicles, meaning that there is a market for people wanting to upgrade from cassette to CD.

2) It transpires that my car, and most Focus' don't have internal movement sensors on the alarm, meaning that smashing a window does not trigger the alarm.

It also seems that the removable panel on the stereo is not coded to the unit so even if you take that off, the stereo unit still has value as you can buy the removable panels on eBay very cheaply and they will work with any of these types of stereo.

Anyway, what I am asking, does anyone now of any good, cost effective ways of making this vehicle more secure, making the stereo more secure, or upgrading the alarm to include movement sensors?

Luckily, I should be getting my stereo back from the police, am considering, getting the plastic casing on the front of the stereo unit etched with the reg plate of the car.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

I have recently bought a Yr 2000 Focus Zetec Estate that I'm generally very pleased with, however, a couple of days ago it got broken into and I don't think that the alarm went off.

Basically they smashed the front passenger side window and stole the factory fitted stereo. Later that night the police apprehended some people in possession of 16 car stereos, all from Ford Focus'. This suggests that these cars are targeted for some reason. The most plausible suggestion for this seems to be a combination of 2 factors:

1) Ford were a bit stingy at fitting CD players to a lot of vehicles, meaning that there is a market for people wanting to upgrade from cassette to CD.

2) It transpires that my car, and most Focus' don't have internal movement sensors on the alarm, meaning that smashing a window does not trigger the alarm.

It also seems that the removable panel on the stereo is not coded to the unit so even if you take that off, the stereo unit still has value as you can buy the removable panels on Ebay very cheaply and they will work with any of these types of stereo.

Anyway, what I am asking, does anyone now of any good, cost effective ways of making this vehicle more secure, making the stereo more secure, or upgrading the alarm to include movement sensors?

Luckily, I should be getting my stereo back from the police, am considering, getting the plastic casing on the front of the stereo unit etched with the reg plate of the car.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Are you sure that your car has an alarm fitted as around that year models were only fitted with an alarm as an extra.

Most models have immobiliser only ?

I had the same problem,I did not know it but my car was not fitted with an alarm only immobilised and Ford has told me that later Mk1 models that do not have alarm systems do not flash the indicators

when unlocked,only two flashes when locked on double locking.

You can get an alarm fitted and if a Cat 1 alarm is fitted this will reduce your insurance premium but it does make you wonder if it's worth the instal cost ?

Are you sure that your car has an alarm fitted as around that year models were only fitted with an alarm as an extra.

Most models have immobiliser only ?

I had the same problem,I did not know it but my car was not fitted with an alarm only immobilised and Ford has told me that later Mk1 models that do not have alarm systems do not flash the indicators

when unlocked,only two flashes when locked on double locking.

You can get an alarm fitted and if a Cat 1 alarm is fitted this will reduce your insurance premium but it does make you wonder if it's worth the instal cost ?

This is true, alarms were an option on Mk1's. TBH theres not a lot you can do. For some reason theres a fallacy that Ford stereos contain a chip that can a) bypass sky security or b ) is made of gold and is worth a lot of money. Easiest way to add security is to fit an aftermarket head unit with removable fascia. I fitted an alarm to my Mk1 but before it was garaged, if ever it went off no-one ever bothered looking to see if it was ok. Even recently at my ex g/fs her son told me 3 or 4 times it had gone off in the night but he hadnt got up to check it was ok. As stated is it really worth the cost? I believe some security companies offer a clear film, like a tint film but no darkening effect on it, that sticks to the inside of the side windows. If someone tries to smash a window to get in the film holds the broken glass together and makes it very difficult to do anything other than smash the window. Also any spec above CL comes with double locking doors. Always make sure you double lock the doors so if they do smash a window they still can't open a door or the boot. Personally I got my side and rear windscreen (driver back) limo tinted. As I originally said, theres not a lot you can do really. If they want to get in, they will.

Interesting, I just assumed that all cars in the last 15 or so years had an alarm of some sort, thats a bit annoying if it hasn't. Unfortunately, I haven't got the key with the buttons on, just the basic keys, is there any way of checking if there is an alarm with just those keys? The car does have a flashing red LED on the dashboard, does that not mean that an alarm is fitted, or is that just there as a deterrent?

I have heard the Sky TV chip theory, sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

The adhesive film that fits to the window sounds like and interesting one, trouble is, if they can't get through one window, they might be likely to try another one.

Was tempted to maybe fit some more flashing LEDs somewhere, maybe on the inside of the doors to give the impression that and extra alarm is fitted.

Thanks for your comments.

Is it possible to 'double lock' the car with just the basic keys (not the one with buttons)?

Its highly unlikely you have an alarm for the reasons stated before. The light above the clock is for Passive Anti Theft System or PATS (immobilisor to you) and it also a diagnostic indicator for supplementary restraint system (airbags and pre-tensioners). You can double lock the doors with just a normal key. Insert the key into the lock, turn it first to the front of the car (clockwise) then back towards the back of the car (anticlockwise). This will double lock the doors indicated by the indicators flashing twice. Also going back to the stereo. Yes the removable keypads are available from time to time on eBay. But should you ever need to get one from Ford they wont sell you one without seeing the V5 document for the vehicle.

My 2001 Mk1 doesn't have an alarm.

There's been a few spates of Focuses being robbed for Ford CD players over the last couple of years. Unfortunately, Ford aren't too fussy about who they hand out replacement 4-button control panels to, and they aren't that expensive either. One size fits all, so from a security standpoint, the whole exercise is pointless.

You can get Toad alarms with internal movement sensors, proximity/tilt sensors, boot/bonnet protection, some even send you a text message if anybody fannies about with your car. They don't come cheap.

This is true, alarms were an option on Mk1's. TBH theres not a lot you can do. For some reason theres a fallacy that Ford stereos contain a chip that can a) bypass sky security or b ) is made of gold and is worth a lot of money. Easiest way to add security is to fit an aftermarket head unit with removable fascia. I fitted an alarm to my Mk1 but before it was garaged, if ever it went off no-one ever bothered looking to see if it was ok. Even recently at my ex g/fs her son told me 3 or 4 times it had gone off in the night but he hadnt got up to check it was ok. As stated is it really worth the cost? I believe some security companies offer a clear film, like a tint film but no darkening effect on it, that sticks to the inside of the side windows. If someone tries to smash a window to get in the film holds the broken glass together and makes it very difficult to do anything other than smash the window. Also any spec above CL comes with double locking doors. Always make sure you double lock the doors so if they do smash a window they still can't open a door or the boot. Personally I got my side and rear windscreen (driver back) limo tinted. As I originally said, theres not a lot you can do really. If they want to get in, they will.

Another interesting fact that I have found is that when a Mk1 Focus is not fitted with an alarm they

do not fit any wire connection to the bonnet catch.

The bonnet button goes up and down but take off the plastic cover and there are no wires.

This is why my bonnet does not give a warning horn blip when the bonnet catch is released under the locks check soundings.

Another way of checking if the car has an alarm.

Interesting, I just assumed that all cars in the last 15 or so years had an alarm of some sort, thats a bit annoying if it hasn't. Unfortunately, I haven't got the key with the buttons on, just the basic keys, is there any way of checking if there is an alarm with just those keys? The car does have a flashing red LED on the dashboard, does that not mean that an alarm is fitted, or is that just there as a deterrent?

I have heard the Sky TV chip theory, sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

The adhesive film that fits to the window sounds like and interesting one, trouble is, if they can't get through one window, they might be likely to try another one.

Was tempted to maybe fit some more flashing LEDs somewhere, maybe on the inside of the doors to give the impression that and extra alarm is fitted.

Thanks for your comments.

Check if the car has an alarm fiited as follows.

Shut all doors on single locking leaving the drivers door window open,lock the car with any key remote or just a standard key like you have,let the system stand for about five minutes return to the car put your hand in the car and open the drivers door the alarm should sound also put the key into the ignition and try to start the car with the car still locked this should also start the alarm.If both ways do not set off alarm then you don't have an alarm just immobiliser which will show by the flashing red light on dash.