Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Myford Touch / Sync

Haz93

Does anyone know when the MyFord Touch system is going to be released in the UK??

Alot of google search pages say it was meant to be introduced late 2012 but obviously there is still no sign of it.

I ask because I really want to get the new Focus ST but I would really like to have the 8 inch touch screen that is standard in the US. The back up camera and current sat nav look really silly on the standard 4 or 5 inch screen. I think they should offer the bigger screen even if the Sync system isn't up to scratch in the UK yet

this video explains it a bit more

My understanding is that it is USA only and will not be a UK accessory....

In the USA , they have constant problems , and are not fixing them very quickly.But i agree there is no reason why they can offer the larger screen , it's one of the first things that caught my eye when i first saw the new focus and i though wow that looks good. I joked on an American site about swapping my head lights for the MFT , and the answer i got was , they would be getting the much better deal.lol Lots of youtube videos of the problems.

I have seen a very good replacement , approx 700 , which also works with the steering wheel controls.

I have been looking at a larger screen , but they are like hens teeth to find and i would also have to change the face plate.

Plus side is we get much more than on the American models due to their laws over there , some of the tiny things we have are not included over there.

Just found an update on this even though its from august last year :P

http://www.techradar...c-in-uk-1094273

Looks like it will be introduced to the UK with the new electric focus. can't imagine it being great in an electric car as surely it uses more power than the smaller screens, there for shortening the vehicles range. probably not a lot though :S

In the USA , they have constant problems , and are not fixing them very quickly.But i agree there is no reason why they can offer the larger screen , it's one of the first things that caught my eye when i first saw the new focus and i though wow that looks good. I joked on an American site about swapping my head lights for the MFT , and the answer i got was , they would be getting the much better deal.lol Lots of youtube videos of the problems.

I have seen a very good replacement , approx 700 , which also works with the steering wheel controls.

I have been looking at a larger screen , but they are like hens teeth to find and i would also have to change the face plate.

Plus side is we get much more than on the American models due to their laws over there , some of the tiny things we have are not included over there.

Fly audio have there own headunit upgrade out which looks pretty smart :)

http://www.flyaudio....oth-system.html

http://www.car-visio...4-ford-navi-dvd

But yeah I read somewhere that they don't require headlight washers and auto levelling sensors for Xenon headlights in the states which would make them a lot easier to retrofit.

Also noticed on this review (6:50)

that they get a boot mounted subwoofer with the sony headunit. Most Audi's have a similar set up only Bose or Bang and Olufsen, even in the uk models.#

So much for the 'one ford' global policy

Hi,

Last I'd heard from Ford (which was about a week ago):

- Focus Electric is now 'delayed' (maybe June 2013) - and not guaranteed to ship with 'full Sync' system (it was originally billed as available early 2013 with 'new, revised Sync' system

- Sync in the Focus - well, the ST is as 'good as it gets' for now. The 'Emergency Assistance' option etc. - is available for the regular Focus (it's listed as 'Premiere Speaker Pack' or something) - but cannot be combined with SatNav / Rear camera (hopefully 'later in 2013').

As for the full, US style 'Sync' system (i.e. 8" touch screen, satnav etc.) - Ford said this will probably arrive 2014 in what I'd guess will be the 'New, New' Focus.

Having patiently waited since launch and been told 'soon', 'summer', 'next year', 'next summer' - I finally gave up waiting - and ordered. I'd love to have had the full sync system (if only for the bigger screen for the Sat Nav, and to get rid of button-clutter) - but Ford just keep delaying it.

Annoyingly, other manufactures are catching up now - at one point it really was 50/50 on whether I'd still get a Focus having been kept waiting - a lot of other manufactures are adding Sync equivalent setups (and larger LCD's) to their cars.

Anyway - that's what Ford told me when I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago...

-Tacks

Hey thanks for that, sounds like it could be a while then. Might have to think about other options then.

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

Just Ordered a My Ford Touch system from the US and all the cable's etc and I am going to give it a go, Reto fitting it to my MK2 Kuga, Lets see if it's even possible!.

Called up an auto salvage place in the US and ordered the parts cost a total of 350 GBP including shipping. the guys were really helpful.

should be delivered by the 18th March lets see.......If it can be fitted.

Cheers

not bad price, although you will have the hefty fun pricetag of the VAT :p

Hi Guys,

Just Ordered a My Ford Touch system from the US and all the cable's etc and I am going to give it a go, Reto fitting it to my MK2 Kuga, Lets see if it's even possible!.

Called up an auto salvage place in the US and ordered the parts cost a total of 350 GBP including shipping. the guys were really helpful.

should be delivered by the 18th March lets see.......If it can be fitted.

Cheers

Looking forward to the development on this, please remember to let us know how it goes! Im considering the same thing :D

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update after much a searching the internet I would an article on a Ford user group in Russia and someone has already done this, (upgraded to My ford Touch) I used googles chromes translate so it's a little scetchie but you can get the just of the chat.

Link below. scroll down about just over half way User name to look out for is -Rocknrolla-

http://ffclub.ru/topic/309015/jump_2460/#comments

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers

A

• 2 weeks later...

Got word from Parcel Force. The unit is ready for collection at the depot only £30 to pay in vat etc.

not bad. !

Will pick it up tomorrow and have a play.

Hi Guys just a little update.

I have receaved the MFT system from the US I am awaiting the bracket that holds the ACM or as I call it the CD Unit.

I have uploaded the wiring diagrams from the US Escape to my dropbox account if you want them I have also added the sync1 wiring diagrams. This is from a Escape in the US I am guessing the wiring is the same. on the Spreadsheet shows were the pins are for sync 1 and where we need to move them for the Sync 2 system to work.

I have also uploaded the page from the manual that shows where and how to remove the sync 1 module.

Step 1 for me is to unplug the sync module

Step 2 Re- position the sync cable to come all the way upto the head unit.

Step 3 Rewire the plug to match the sync 2 unit. As per the Spreadsheet - Will need to see if anyone can help get a hold of the Wiring Diagram from the 2013 Kuga's sync 1 Module as on the us version shows I-CAN and HS-CAN only and one the sync 2 shows connections for MS-CAN, I would like to check that the uk version is the same or if it has the HS-CAN interface as well

If anyone can help with this I would be greatfull.?

Step 4 Test unit before commencing any modifications to the dash

Pictures to follow.

If you have any questions etc or to where I purchased the items I am more than happy to share.

Cheers

Alan

Hi, the update is as follows

Finally found the Sync Module it's not where the Ford Book say's it's behind the glovebox you will need to remove the glow box to gain access. as it's just above to the the rear of the airbag.

I Cut the tape holding the Sync Module cable and move the plugs location toward the location of the headunit

I moved the pins according to the excel sheet and perhaps found an extra few.

connected the head unit and the controls and the touch screen and powered on the ignition.

And it powered up.

Everything working, Kind of there are a few annoyances that I am in the process of fixing

the volume controls don't work either on the steering wheel or the front controls - I beleave this is just a cable that needs to be moved over, I connected up the 4" screen that came with the car. and the controls sprung to life.

The MFT does not recognise that the car is at a standstill so won't let you add a phone etc to the bluetooth. work around for now. is to add the devices etc while the engine is off and the ignition is on. I beleave this has todo with the interface to the MS-CAN network on the car. as the sync 1 system don't have this function.

The compass on the MFT doesn't display anything just now. possibility due to the MS-CAN again.

and one thing that made me laugh. If I change the heater controls on the car temp for the driver it displays at the passenger side on the MFT but this was to be expected and somthing I can live with.

If your trying to do this on your car prob best to but a screen from a focus or a mondeo in the UK now as the become available..

I haven't removed any of the dash yet to fit the touch screen that will be next once I have ironed out all the issues.

as the controls arn't working you can't use the voice controls yet but thats somthing I am going to resolve tonight.

I have made a few videos I will upload to my dropbox account.

IMAG0141.jpg

• Like 1

It will be worth it! Good luck with your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 2

Ok , just a quickie

Steering controls now working and sync voice commands working just the controls ie power and eject to sort and that's me done.

I did notice that the park assist and the parking sensors don't display on the screen. Not a biggie just now. But something I willl need to fix.

The head unit that came with the mft only supports 6 Speakers I have the Sony 9 speaker system so that's something I need to sort out I tried switching over the head unit and it works but the audio from the phone stopped working. Grrrrrrrrrr! U am sure it will be a cable / pin that will need to be moved.

I can live with 6 just now.

And of course as it's the US mft I loose my dab radio. Small price to pay

Nearly there!

Main controls now working as they should.

Waiting in the CD /acm bracket arriving from the US. But I am going to make a start on making the sync cable longer by cutting a wire at a time and soldering on an long cable between the cuts to ensure a nice fit. I will tie them up securely with cable ties.

So nearly done

Just the really annoying face this headunits amp is pants! no bass and is boom-ey and not load at all. Noticed that the parking distance beeps are very faint and when you pu the Sony dab unit back the sync and audio from the phone is faint . Going to check the pin outs tonight and then test tomorrow. As I really want to keep the Sony unit although the mft unit doesn't support dab.

Receaved the ad card for the nav but the Sync unit can't find the GPSM module. Found this by using forscan to read the error codes again I think this is down to the MS CAN but link not being there but I am going to look into this to see when I can take a link from in order to connect it up.

Anyway pics to follow

Cheers

A

OK, Here we go,

Took the Plunge and cut the dash to accommodate the MFT today. Pictures are below

Also Contacted the Place I got it from as they sold it as having Nav and this is a Non-Nav unit.so I'll prob replace the unit once they have sorted out a replacement unit.

I still have to attach the system to the MS-CAN Bus but I will do this once the new Touch Unit arrives as I also have the reversing camera to attached at the same time..

Cheers

Alan

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

• Like 1

Alan, that looks brilliant mate. Im really jealous! I'd do this if I had the balls to do it!

• Like 1

Looks good when you first said you were going to go ot I thought that's never going to work so hats off to you! Isit nav and what's it like?

• Like 1

how much did that all cost you to do? can you come to my focus lol.....

Hi Guys Cheers for the feed back!,

I have been told I have some set of balls doing this to a new car but hey ho! It was either that for sell it and get a New Mondeo and I wasn't putting the 10K deposit down on a car. House yes car no. lol

There are a few things I would do differently but I took my time with the wiring to make sure I had it working.

the climate controls on the Unit are backwards but I don't really care if you turn off the dual zone then it works fine.

All the voice commands work ie heating etc.

I was at the lights a few days ago and another kuga was next to me and the driver was staring at it was funny. I think I may have the only Kuga in the UK with The My ford Touch.

The parts place in the US that I purchased the system from are sending my out a system that has the Nav as the one they originally sent was without nav. I will be putting this one on eBay for sale or would I be better to offer it to someone here? If they wanted to install it.

I was thinking perhaps to buy a 3D Printer to make the screen mounting brackets so they can be bolted on to the existing structure once it has been cut away would make it easyier to seat the screen as that is the most frustrating part getting it to sit level.

Break Down of costs

s-l140.jpg £50.67 + Shipping

s-l140.jpg £ 314.16 + Shipping (this included the Front Sony Face although it wan't shown in the pic)

a Focus shouldn't be too much to do, Just a case of getting the parts from a US car Breakers.

a few I have been using are below. the Connector that goes into the Sync Unit you need to move and perhaps add a few pins depending on your car. but easy enough to do. Although getting your hands on a head unit with Nav is difficult. would be good once we can get these from a uk car ie the mondeo or a focus. as it will be in a UK format and not US ie you would say "call Mum on Mobile" well on mine now you need to say "Cell" instead of "Mobile" but doesn't take away from the fact its awesome.!

16051443242_9b943d71b4_z.jpg

Veldman's Auto Parts 1-800-888-3821 FREE EXT306 (SEAN)

2012-Ford-Focus-Titanium-Sedan-028.jpg