• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dervtastic

dervtastic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: ford focus 1.8tdci mk2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi everyone i serviced my 56 plate tdci 1.8 focus yesterday and now the car wont start :( I know the problem is the fuel filter, I didnt add any extra diesel when i changed the filter and now there is air in the fuel lines, My question is how will i get it out?

Any help will be appreiciated thanks Adam

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Andy H Dibley

Andy H Dibley

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Keep cranking it over I think is the best way.

Changed a fuel filters on both my old diesel and petrol Mondeos, for a good 2-3 minutes you had to keep cranking it to eventually get fuel to the bay and air lock free.

#3 dervtastic

dervtastic

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Tried for over a hour last night even tried bump starting it to drag the fuel through, Im worried my pump might pack in if i keep cranking it dry,

Theres a nipple on the top and bottom of the fuel filter casing will they be of any use to pump the air out does anyone know?

#4 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,192 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

You need to prime the filter with as much fuel as possible, don't try and start it with no fuel in it - you will never get it going

Last time I done a filter on a 1.8tdci I used a syringe to fill the housing through the nipple on the top till it started to overflow (which does take a few mins as its slow going) but it started quite easily

#5 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

As stated above, it will never start by just cranking over. You could try removing the lid to the filter and filling the housing to the top with fuel, mine worked like this, once running, give it a good old rev, and it should drag any remaining air away. Failing that, you could use a priming bulb,remove the fuel feed pipe, and suck until fuel comes through, replace quickly and crank. Hope this helps.

#6 STEADS

STEADS

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Name: NEIL
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.8 TDCI TITANIUM AND 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Are sure you have not displaced the o rings inside the fuel line had this on a mondeo reseated and fired up in no time .

#7 dervtastic

dervtastic

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Are sure you have not displaced the o rings inside the fuel line had this on a mondeo reseated and fired up in no time .

Do you mean the seal that sits on top of the filter or is there a o-ring on the upside of the cap? Now you meantion this i remember finding a small o-ring under the car im wondering if its fell off will have to check

Im sure theres air in the lines though its not even attempting to fire just turning over.

#8 STEADS

STEADS

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

sounds as if you have displaced the small o ring that sits upside the cap where you lock the fuel line to the top of the filter now you will need patience to reseat this and those small instrument screwdrivers if i remember correctly as you look down the line you will see a yellow spiral thats where it sits if you pull one of the other lines off with the o ring in place you will see what i mean will try and get a pic off a spare line i,ve got tommrow.what happens is these o rings should sit in the line/connector but when you release fuel line off top of filter housing they stay on the nipple if this happens you will have trouble staring after filter change like i said had this on a mondeo and took a bit of sussing to find out why it was sucking air .put it back in situ and within a few cranks should fire up hope this helps

#9 STEADS

STEADS

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

managed to get a pic tonight you can see the yellow seating the o ring site below this

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-02-12 17.53.26.jpg

#10 dervtastic

dervtastic

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks mate gonna have a look for this in the morning.

#11 dervtastic

dervtastic

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help.

#12 STEADS

STEADS

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Any luck getting this started yet

#13 1979Damian

1979Damian

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name: Damian
  • Ford Model: MK2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Ghia (4 door) (05)
  • Year: 2005

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi everyone i serviced my 56 plate tdci 1.8 focus yesterday and now the car wont start sad.png I know the problem is the fuel filter, I didnt add any extra diesel when i changed the filter and now there is air in the fuel lines, My question is how will i get it out?

Any help will be appreiciated thanks Adam

Hi mate, just serviced mine inc. fuel filter. The cylindrical casing that the filter fits back into has a bleed valve on the top. Although I filled my filter with diesel before fitting I still found air inside & the car would turn over then die. Whilst you crank it you need someone to open the bleed valve.  You should hear a hiss as the air escapes & the car should fire up.  I cranked mine 4-5 times & it kept dying until I got the wife to start the car whilst I did the bleed valve.

Keep us all posted mate.

#14 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Personally think you'll be very lucky if the above works. Normally you would need to use something like a priming bulb to suck the fuel through to the filter, and take it from there.

#15 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Lawman

• Super Mod
  • 12,843 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

The bleed valve on the filter housing is for draining water out, not air.

The only proper way to do it and not put undue strain on the fuel pump is with a vacuum pump or priming bulb.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c6361a5cf

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a8faccd9

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users