#1 kalo88uk

kalo88uk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: AJ
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2011

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

My car is a 2011 fiesta, the petrol cap jams and sticks making it difficult to open it and difficult to close and also my steering wheel is starting to peel and has been rubbed almost smooth/shiney.

Ford said.. as the car is over a year old now it isn't covered even though the car has only covered 9000 miles.. It's a joke really, both components are going to be used heavily during the life span of the car yet both have issues and fords stance is 'Your not covered'.

I've spoke to CRC but all they hint at is they 'may' make a 'good will' gesture towards it but they will not guarantee anything.

All they say is.. well the mechanical/electrical components are covered for 3 years.. never mind if the entire shell of the car around it rattles, bangs, clunks, falls apart.... (as an example of course).

Thanks Ford.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,515 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

That is poor service and suggests really poor build quality. Why is it you can have cars with 150k miles on (including Fords) that don't suffer from things like this? You would think the quality would be consistent.

#3 kalo88uk

kalo88uk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

That is poor service and suggests really poor build quality. Why is it you can have cars with 150k miles on (including Fords) that don't suffer from things like this? You would think the quality would be consistent.

Fed up with Ford, second car I've had in a number of years that when it's needed something doing I've come up against a brick wall.

Gesture of good will? No it's not.. fix the shoddy job you made in the first place.

#4 Electric_Orange

Electric_Orange

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

...the petrol cap jams and sticks making it difficult to open it and difficult to close...

I've had four Mk7's of various trim levels and all of them suffer from the same issue unfortunately. I got one of them replaced for free however after I went ballistic at the service department one day when very low on petrol and couldn't for love nor money get the cap open so had to snap the lock with a key.
Thankfully on the Mk7.5 they've changed the design to one with a pull lip rather than the silly push to open thing...

#5 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Auto - Marello
  • Year: 2009

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

My car is a 2011 fiesta, the petrol cap jams and sticks making it difficult to open it and difficult to close and also my steering wheel is starting to peel and has been rubbed almost smooth/shiney.

Ford said.. as the car is over a year old now it isn't covered even though the car has only covered 9000 miles.. It's a joke really, both components are going to be used heavily during the life span of the car yet both have issues and fords stance is 'Your not covered'.

I've spoke to CRC but all they hint at is they 'may' make a 'good will' gesture towards it but they will not guarantee anything.

All they say is.. well the mechanical/electrical components are covered for 3 years.. never mind if the entire shell of the car around it rattles, bangs, clunks, falls apart.... (as an example of course).

Thanks Ford.

What ? "as the car is over a year old now it isn't covered even though the car has only covered 9000 miles" ! What a load of baloney ! You are being fobbed off big time here. Write to Ford Customer Services (phone in advance if you wish) and politely complain and quote the Supply Of Goods Act. Goods should be 'Fit for purpose' which they obviously aren't in this case.

#6 kalo88uk

kalo88uk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

What ? "as the car is over a year old now it isn't covered even though the car has only covered 9000 miles" ! What a load of baloney ! You are being fobbed off big time here. Write to Ford Customer Services (phone in advance if you wish) and politely complain and quote the Supply Of Goods Act. Goods should be 'Fit for purpose' which they obviously aren't in this case.

They were the ones who told me no as well as the dealership lol

If they really want a big !Removed! complaint over a petrol cap/steering wheel I really don't mind doing it, why should I pay for their faults? If my car had done 90,000 miles yeh I'd agree perhaps

#7 sharalaxy

sharalaxy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: And
  • Ford Model: Galaxy
  • Year: 2009

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thanks Ford.

In law all goods must be fit for purpose and 1 year on a multi thousand pound car is not fit for purpose send them an e mail telling them your going to take them to court because the items are not fit for the use they have been manufactured, do Ford expect a new steering wheel to be fitted every year?
You will almost certainly get it replaced or if not take them to the small claims court it's cheap and you will win, I have done it many times for similar things I even won on a caravan that was 6 years old as the judge said it should last longer then 6 years.
Do not back down.

#8 kalo88uk

kalo88uk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

In law all goods must be fit for purpose and 1 year on a multi thousand pound car is not fit for purpose send them an e mail telling them your going to take them to court because the items are not fit for the use they have been manufactured, do Ford expect a new steering wheel to be fitted every year?
You will almost certainly get it replaced or if not take them to the small claims court it's cheap and you will win, I have done it many times for similar things I even won on a caravan that was 6 years old as the judge said it should last longer then 6 years.
Do not back down.

Thanks for that :) I won't be... Ford fob you off everytime there is an issue well, no longer!

#9 laticsforlife

laticsforlife

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

i think there are two issues here, the fuel cap and the steering wheel.

After 12m and 9,000 miles I am unsure why your steering wheel has worn like this - mine hasn't and is a 2010 with 14,000 on the clock, so wonder if there is some reason why it has worn, maybe a reaction to something worn?

As for the fuel cap this IS clearly a warranty item, mine stuck and they simply lubricated it and it has been fine.

#10 kalo88uk

kalo88uk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

It's just on the right hand side of the wheel the top half, it's not THAT bad on the steering wheel but I know overtime it is going to get far worse and give it a few months to a year it's going to look awful.

The petrol cap thing is a real pain in the behind, pull up to a petrol station and when we had the cold weather I could not open it, now that the weather is a bit better it's still bad and fails to open/close properly

#11 Sam101

Sam101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec Mk7
Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Hi
Just read the original post and not surprised by fords reaction. I have a 59 plate fiesta and over the past three years the many problems I’ve experienced have always resulted in fords trying to wangle their way out of doing the necessary work under warranty

Typically as it’s just out of warranty, yesterday I discovered this problem you speak of
whist filling up (or trying to) the petrol cap door was difficult to open. However, once I’d managed to over come that, worse was to come, the metal flap inside was completely stuck shut, the fuel nozzle just wouldn’t go in! AA man came to my rescue but couldn’t fix it, luckily I had just enough petrol to get home!

Phoned Fords this morning to be told, if it’s what they think it is then it’s a £300 job!

Has anyone else experienced this metal fuel flap problem. Read somewhere that ford were aware of this back in early 2009, yet upon clicking the link to find out more, the whole piece was in German!!

#12 kalo88uk

kalo88uk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I've had problems sometimes with the metal cap inside and trying to push the petrol nozzle in, a bit of 'force' normally works for mine.

It's not very well thought out back there =/

#13 AJ_sXe

AJ_sXe

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

i think there are two issues here, the fuel cap and the steering wheel.

After 12m and 9,000 miles I am unsure why your steering wheel has worn like this - mine hasn't and is a 2010 with 14,000 on the clock, so wonder if there is some reason why it has worn, maybe a reaction to something worn?

As for the fuel cap this IS clearly a warranty item, mine stuck and they simply lubricated it and it has been fine.

I have an 09 Fiesta Diesel that of this week has done almost 32,000 miles with two owners (me and previous, a lady) and my steering wheel looks perfect.

OP must have had a shoddy one.

I have never had issues with either the outer flap or inner fuel cap (lucky maybe?)

But Ford are really fobbing you off, these are items that should survive several years of (normal) use.

#14 kalo88uk

kalo88uk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

The dealership tried to fix the petrol cap but still doesn't work and they said 'Oh the steering wheel is wear and tear so Ford won't pay for that'.

We'll see about that sunshine :)

#15 kalo88uk

kalo88uk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Nope Ford CRC are flat out refusing to sort anything, despite the fact it's not normal for it to happen they are sticking to the 1 year warranty and will not do anything for me... CAB here I come

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users