Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Warranty... Sigh

kalo88uk

My car is a 2011 fiesta, the petrol cap jams and sticks making it difficult to open it and difficult to close and also my steering wheel is starting to peel and has been rubbed almost smooth/shiney.

Ford said.. as the car is over a year old now it isn't covered even though the car has only covered 9000 miles.. It's a joke really, both components are going to be used heavily during the life span of the car yet both have issues and fords stance is 'Your not covered'.

I've spoke to CRC but all they hint at is they 'may' make a 'good will' gesture towards it but they will not guarantee anything.

All they say is.. well the mechanical/electrical components are covered for 3 years.. never mind if the entire Shell of the car around it rattles, bangs, clunks, falls apart.... (as an example of course).

Thanks Ford.

That is poor service and suggests really poor build quality. Why is it you can have cars with 150k miles on (including Fords) that don't suffer from things like this? You would think the quality would be consistent.

That is poor service and suggests really poor build quality. Why is it you can have cars with 150k miles on (including Fords) that don't suffer from things like this? You would think the quality would be consistent.

Fed up with Ford, second car I've had in a number of years that when it's needed something doing I've come up against a brick wall.

Gesture of good will? No it's not.. fix the shoddy job you made in the first place.

...the petrol cap jams and sticks making it difficult to open it and difficult to close...

I've had four Mk7's of various trim levels and all of them suffer from the same issue unfortunately. I got one of them replaced for free however after I went ballistic at the service department one day when very low on petrol and couldn't for love nor money get the cap open so had to snap the lock with a key.

Thankfully on the Mk7.5 they've changed the design to one with a pull lip rather than the silly push to open thing...

My car is a 2011 fiesta, the petrol cap jams and sticks making it difficult to open it and difficult to close and also my steering wheel is starting to peel and has been rubbed almost smooth/shiney.

Ford said.. as the car is over a year old now it isn't covered even though the car has only covered 9000 miles.. It's a joke really, both components are going to be used heavily during the life span of the car yet both have issues and fords stance is 'Your not covered'.

I've spoke to CRC but all they hint at is they 'may' make a 'good will' gesture towards it but they will not guarantee anything.

All they say is.. well the mechanical/electrical components are covered for 3 years.. never mind if the entire shell of the car around it rattles, bangs, clunks, falls apart.... (as an example of course).

Thanks Ford.

What ? "as the car is over a year old now it isn't covered even though the car has only covered 9000 miles" ! What a load of baloney ! You are being fobbed off big time here. Write to Ford Customer Services (phone in advance if you wish) and politely complain and quote the Supply Of Goods Act. Goods should be 'Fit for purpose' which they obviously aren't in this case.

What ? "as the car is over a year old now it isn't covered even though the car has only covered 9000 miles" ! What a load of baloney ! You are being fobbed off big time here. Write to Ford Customer Services (phone in advance if you wish) and politely complain and quote the Supply Of Goods Act. Goods should be 'Fit for purpose' which they obviously aren't in this case.

They were the ones who told me no as well as the dealership lol

If they really want a big !Removed! complaint over a petrol cap/steering wheel I really don't mind doing it, why should I pay for their faults? If my car had done 90,000 miles yeh I'd agree perhaps

All they say is.. well the mechanical/electrical components are covered for 3 years.. never mind if the entire shell of the car around it rattles, bangs, clunks, falls apart.... (as an example of course).

Thanks Ford.

In law all goods must be fit for purpose and 1 year on a multi thousand pound car is not fit for purpose send them an e mail telling them your going to take them to court because the items are not fit for the use they have been manufactured, do Ford expect a new steering wheel to be fitted every year?

You will almost certainly get it replaced or if not take them to the small claims court it's cheap and you will win, I have done it many times for similar things I even won on a caravan that was 6 years old as the judge said it should last longer then 6 years.

Do not back down.

In law all goods must be fit for purpose and 1 year on a multi thousand pound car is not fit for purpose send them an e mail telling them your going to take them to court because the items are not fit for the use they have been manufactured, do Ford expect a new steering wheel to be fitted every year?

You will almost certainly get it replaced or if not take them to the small claims court it's cheap and you will win, I have done it many times for similar things I even won on a caravan that was 6 years old as the judge said it should last longer then 6 years.

Do not back down.

Thanks for that :) I won't be... Ford fob you off everytime there is an issue well, no longer!

i think there are two issues here, the fuel cap and the steering wheel.

After 12m and 9,000 miles I am unsure why your steering wheel has worn like this - mine hasn't and is a 2010 with 14,000 on the clock, so wonder if there is some reason why it has worn, maybe a reaction to something worn?

As for the fuel cap this IS clearly a warranty item, mine stuck and they simply lubricated it and it has been fine.

It's just on the right hand side of the wheel the top half, it's not THAT bad on the steering wheel but I know overtime it is going to get far worse and give it a few months to a year it's going to look awful.

The petrol cap thing is a real pain in the behind, pull up to a petrol station and when we had the cold weather I could not open it, now that the weather is a bit better it's still bad and fails to open/close properly

Hi

Just read the original post and not surprised by fords reaction. I have a 59 plate fiesta and over the past three years the many problems I’ve experienced have always resulted in fords trying to wangle their way out of doing the necessary work under warranty

Typically as it’s just out of warranty, yesterday I discovered this problem you speak of

whist filling up (or trying to) the petrol cap door was difficult to open. However, once I’d managed to over come that, worse was to come, the metal flap inside was completely stuck shut, the fuel nozzle just wouldn’t go in! AA man came to my rescue but couldn’t fix it, luckily I had just enough petrol to get home!

Phoned Fords this morning to be told, if it’s what they think it is then it’s a £300 job!

Has anyone else experienced this metal fuel flap problem. Read somewhere that ford were aware of this back in early 2009, yet upon clicking the link to find out more, the whole piece was in German!!

I've had problems sometimes with the metal cap inside and trying to push the petrol nozzle in, a bit of 'force' normally works for mine.

It's not very well thought out back there =/

i think there are two issues here, the fuel cap and the steering wheel.

After 12m and 9,000 miles I am unsure why your steering wheel has worn like this - mine hasn't and is a 2010 with 14,000 on the clock, so wonder if there is some reason why it has worn, maybe a reaction to something worn?

As for the fuel cap this IS clearly a warranty item, mine stuck and they simply lubricated it and it has been fine.

I have an 09 Fiesta Diesel that of this week has done almost 32,000 miles with two owners (me and previous, a lady) and my steering wheel looks perfect.

OP must have had a shoddy one.

I have never had issues with either the outer flap or inner fuel cap (lucky maybe?)

But Ford are really fobbing you off, these are items that should survive several years of (normal) use.

The dealership tried to fix the petrol cap but still doesn't work and they said 'Oh the steering wheel is wear and tear so Ford won't pay for that'.

We'll see about that sunshine :)

Nope Ford CRC are flat out refusing to sort anything, despite the fact it's not normal for it to happen they are sticking to the 1 year warranty and will not do anything for me... CAB here I come

Ford will attempt to fix your fuel cap by taking a pair of side cutters to it, something you can do yourself at home ;)

fillercap.jpg

Good luck with the CAB and hope you get your steering wheel sorted. If you're still struggling I can send you a half-leather one, you'd just need to sort out getting it swapped over.

Ford will attempt to fix your fuel cap by taking a pair of side cutters to it, something you can do yourself at home ;)

fillercap.jpg

Good luck with the CAB and hope you get your steering wheel sorted. If you're still struggling I can send you a half-leather one, you'd just need to sort out getting it swapped over.

Thanks, they tried that but it didn't solve the issue.

Just waiting to hear on the steering wheel, I don't really like their attitude of 'NO!'. Thanks mate, may need to take you up on that offer soon... *bleep* ers lol

I've had two Mk 7 Fiestas and the filler cap has been ok on both so far but the flap is a bit reluctant to open first push sometimes. The ' neck' of the filler pipe is also sometimes a bit reluctant to open too sometimes but I just use a bit more force.

Not a good idea on the whole, I don't think.

Warranty-wise, I've got no real complaints. They did replace the battery eventually when the three year warranty had only a few weeks left. I say eventually because they changed the alternator first even though the AA report said 'Replace battery' - twice ! At least I've got a new battery AND alternator now the warranty has expired !

I have heard other reports of Ford trying to wriggle out of their warrant committment which is not a good sign.

Nope had the final response from CRC, they still 100% refuse to do anything.

Time to go further up the food chain, CAB have given me some useful information also.

They were the ones who told me no as well as the dealership lol

If they really want a big !Removed! complaint over a petrol cap/steering wheel I really don't mind doing it, why should I pay for their faults? If my car had done 90,000 miles yeh I'd agree perhaps

As mentioned in previous post by someone else - Ford's warranty will only cover certain items.

I too have an 11 reg Fiesta and have the same problem with my petrol cap, bit of a pain but haven't tried to sort it out yet as it's not too much of an issue!

With regards to the steering wheel - i'm surprised it's doing that so soon!

As mentioned in previous post by someone else - Ford's warranty will only cover certain items.

I too have an 11 reg Fiesta and have the same problem with my petrol cap, bit of a pain but haven't tried to sort it out yet as it's not too much of an issue!

With regards to the steering wheel - i'm surprised it's doing that so soon!

Exactly, so there is clearly a fault that they should rectify, warranty or no.

I get that they only cover certain things but those parts should of been 'engineered' to last far longer than they have.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club