Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help For A Friend

Peange

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a fiesta mk6 and is having some gearbox/clutch issues I hope someone could shed some light on. From what he's told me changing gears up to 3rd, 4th and 5th has become stiff. Same when changing down. It doesn't happen when the car is off, nor when the engine is running but the car is stationary. There's no crunching involved though.

His car is going to be looked at on Monday and he'd not like to go in without a clue as to what it would be. So what do you think could be the most likely culprit? Gear linkages? Clutch failure? Anything else?

Ta,

Scott

If it only happens when the engine is running could be the clutch dragging.

Hey... No asking for advice for people who arent members of the forum! Haha only jokin :) certainly sounds like either the linkages or possibly the gearbox oil? Once the car is running sometimes the warmer it gets the more sluggisg the oil becomes hence why it could only be doing it between 3, 4 and 5 gears

Hey... No asking for advice for people who arent members of the forum!

I've told him to join! Honest! Haha.

I'm hoping its not clutch dragging, want it to be as cheap as possible for him. Gearbox oil is something I hadn't thought about. Sadly he doesn't have the tools or space to check for himself. Thankfully he's taking it to a family friend so won't get ripped off!

its most likely going to be the gearbox oil or the linkages though

Great thanks. I think he's imagining the worst (as we all do when something goes wrong!) so this should hopefully take a weight off his mind

You watch itll be the clutch thats away or something now :P haha

I would try lubing the linkage up, the gearboxes are pretty iffy anyway, in cold weather my 1st and 2nd can be a pain, time ford develop a newer box, does the problem go away with use? Try gently changing through the forward gears wih the engine off a couple of times, this will get the oil moving over the important bits, ask him if it feels like pushing through rubber.

Update:

Apparently everything returned to normal on Sunday night. It's reckoned that a bit of dirt got in but has now worked itself out. Cheers for the help though!

Hi I have a ford fiesta zetech 1.4 petrol which has central locking but I want remote central locking. I have read you need to change gem module is this correct? And if so were could I get one from thanks

Your best bet is to start a new thread with your question in the Fiesta forum