Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Drl Help

herbiegrey

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post to this forum but i've been reading it a while.

I've decided to add a mod to my focus and i've chose to add LED DRLs. I've done my research and picked the ones that go into the fog surround, like so many other people have. Problem is the wiring isn't like the ones i've seen in preee's guide.

I'm okay at fitting the LEDs into the surround, and doing the manual work, but when it comes to electronics I'm completely clueless.

My set has 4 wires, red, black, yellow and white. I understand the red and black go to the battery, but as for the yellow and the white my instructions only say to "connect" the yellow to switched live, and white to main headlight beam. I've no idea what it means by connect, as the wires have no connections so I assume i'm going to need to go and buy some sort of connections? From what i've read about splicing, my understanding is to join two wires together from two ends, but I cant see how that will work with my set. Forgive my ignorance if coming across as dumb, but when it comes to this I am!

I've attached a photo of the 4 wires I have. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

post-40977-0-10382300-1361048421_thumb.j

Hi

And welcome to the forum.

Don't connect both cables white and yellow

Only connect either ider.

Connect white to your parking bulb positive feed at the rear of the passenger headlight.

If you want your led drls to dim 50% when parking lights and full lights are active.

OR

Connect yellow to your parking bulb positive feed at the rear of the passenger headlight.

If you want your led drls to switch off when parking lights and full lights are active.

Thanks for the reply Lenny,

When you say connect, what are we talking here? What method should I use to connect it? If I connect it to the parking like (side light?) will it dim by 50% for this light and the headlights as this is what I want.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Lenny,

When you say connect, what are we talking here? What method should I use to connect it? If I connect it to the parking like (side light?) will it dim by 50% for this light and the headlights as this is what I want.

Thanks

No problem Dave,

If you splice the white to the parking light positive feed.

Then yes; any setting you put your lights to,

The drls will stay at 50% illumination unless you have no lights on.

And to connect the cables.

Use a stanley blade and some pvc electrical tape both available from B&Q on sundays lol

Locate the parking positive feed you wish to splice the new cable with.

Then using the stanley blade

Gently peel the plastic sleeve from the cable.

Just like peeling a banna

Cut along and inwards.

Do this for a lenght of 5-10mm

Take care not to cut through the copper strands inside the sleeve,

Once striped,

Wrap the copper of your white cable

Around the exposed copper of the positive parking feed.

Finally using your Pvc tape

Wrap the exposed connection once.

Check the desired operation of the drls has been achieved.

If yes

Then wrap the previously exposed connection a further 5-6 times ensuring water cannot get in to the connection.

Dave did you not get any Scotch lock type connection blocks with the kit ?

Hi,

I never got any type of connectors - would these scotch locks make the job easier? I take it you can buy them easily?

Thanks

Hi,

I never got any type of connectors - would these scotch locks make the job easier? I take it you can buy them easily?

Thanks

They are a quick way of joining into existing wiring , i would still wrap them in insulation tape. you can but them from most decent car stores.