Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.4Tdci Strange Starting Issue

elderone

I have a really strange problem with my car in that when I go to start it at work, very often the engine will start but the revs will not go to idle and the oil and battery light stay on the dash. This will go on for a few seconds then it will kick a load of smoke out the back and the engine goes up to normal idle and lights go out. This is obviosly not right and ford can't find the problem. What I can't understand is maybe something you clever peeps might be able to help with is why it only ever happens at work after being there for 7/8 hours and never once has it happened at home after being parked overnight or in fact never at all at home. I have seen someone else on youtube with the exact same issue with it only happening at work and at cold temps. Really confusing!!

If its slow traffic then yes there will be carbon build-up in the DPF, do you take it for a good blast?

Thanks for the reply. Its not bad traffic. I'm usually leaving about 6 in the morning and get a pretty clear run. Probably better if anything than when I drive home at night. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated. Last time it was in the garage for 2 months but problem persists.

I found the video on Youtube and understand the problem. How many miles has the car done and when was it last serviced?

I would look to a dodgy connection or failing sensor. The garage monkeys rely too much on the computer telling them what has failed through a fault code but these codes don't always appear.

You could try simply unplugging (one by one) the various connections and checking for water ingress and corrosion, a squirt of WD40 always helps.

There a couple of people I've found on youtube with this problem:

and also
I will try what you have suggested about unplugging things once I get the bonnet up in the daylight. I take it you are talking connections in the engine bay? It is strange how it only happens at work. Thanks

Its done nearly 40000 miles and has been having this problem for the last 15000. Had the third major service at about 37K but no change with this issue before and after.

Yes just go through each connector in turn and check for corrosion. Where do you work out of interest?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi im still suffering with this issue and ford say that unless they can replicate it themselves then they cannot do anything. I don't know what they are going to get from seeing it themselves rather that what I am telling them is happening. As you can see from the above videos there are other people with exactly the same issue and are not getting much help from ford either. It is obviously a known problem. I think the next step is let my solicitor deal with them. Any more suggestions or advice on what this problem is would be much appreciated. Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club