Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Software Obd.

Cornish Chris

Hi all,

New to the forum so hello to all.

Just getting an S-Max and was wondering what OBD software everybody uses on them? Had mainly Audi/VW's in the past so used to using VCDS/Vagcom.

Any help you can offer would be great.

Cheers,

Chris

Any generic ODB software is of limited value. For propper diagnostics you need the full Ford IDS system - costs about £10k.

For those not wanting to spend £10k to read their codes - you can buy an F- super online for about £22, you need a laptop with this

Alternatively a Bluefin (for Ford) handset works well, (and works "stand alone" - no laptop required) these can be picked up secondhand for a reasonable price

There is an android app, called torque, its quite a good system, you need an android smart phone and an OBD11 - bluetooth adaptor (the adaptor needs to have the ford proticols) it does real-time logging, and other things

intresting thanks for that guys,dont suppose you have a link for the bluetooth jobby do you??

i suppose this will also work on the mk3 galaxy aswell?

Thanks all!

Great info. I had a quick look at the F-Super 2 and that doesn't list the S-Max. Can anyone confirm that it does work and also if it resets airbag/abs and other fault codes etc.

I've heard good things about the Torque app before. Is this used for real time monitoring or can it be used to reset faults in different modules?

Once again thanks for the responses.

Cheers,

Chris

Just look on google for "bluetooth OBDII" its a generic unit, and although not bespoke to any car in particular, they read a lot from all rather than all from one (if that makes sense :P)

Thanks all!

Great info. I had a quick look at the F-Super 2 and that doesn't list the S-Max. Can anyone confirm that it does work and also if it resets airbag/abs and other fault codes etc.

I've heard good things about the Torque app before. Is this used for real time monitoring or can it be used to reset faults in different modules?

Once again thanks for the responses.

Cheers,

Chris

Your car may have a PSA engine rather than a Ford engine, also there is several different OBD11 protocols and if you just buy a "generic" scanner it may not read your Ford fault codes, i use a bluefin handset and it deletes/ resets engine fault codes globally (all at once)

The correct (cheap domestic) scanner will read 99.9% of codes and do most of what a pro scanner can do exept things like recoding injectors etc

more info -

All petrol engined cars after 2001 and diesels after 2004 must have an OBD11 port

Where is the Diagnostics socket located? It must be located within three feet of the driver's seat and must not require any tools to be revealed. Most are located under the steering column. If your OBD II port is not there, look under the dash and behind ashtrays, on some Fords it slides dowm below the dash.

OBD II Protocols:Auto manufacturers had some flexibility in the communications protocol they can use to transmit parameters or PIDs, which are required by law to be uniform, to scanners.

There are currently five different OBD II communications protocols in use: KWP, PWM, VPW, ISO 9141, and CAN.

Most Fords use SAE J1850 PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) communication patterns,

-

J1850 PWM - (Ford engined cars) The connector should have locations 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16 populated

J1850 VPW - ( Vaxuhall GM etc) The connector should have locations 2, 4, 5, and 16 populated, but not 10 populated.

ISO 9141-2 - (Japan imports etc) The connector should have locations 4, 5, 7, 15, and 16 populated.

CAN Bus - The connector should have locations 4, 5, 6, 14, and 16 populated.

ISO 14230 KWP - The connector should have locations 4, 5, 7, 15, 16 populated.

no worries, I tended to search for "OBDII bluetooth Focus" or "OBDII bluetooth CMAX" etc to find it. If the product is sold to you and is incompatible, you can return it as not fit for purpose, not as described and your not out of pocket!

• 3 weeks later...

Buy an Elm 327 on eBay for a tenner. Modify it as per links below. Then use ELMCONFIG, free, to read and clear DTCs and make changes to module configurations. Used it so far to activate auto lights, wipers, cruise control and BT / Voice control......

Will start a thread about it soon on here but look on the Focus forum links to get an idea about it........Richie.

Thread:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/

Software:

http://civil.iffc.ru/ELMConfig/ELMConfig.zip

Here's another. Developed by the guy who aids the author of the free one above....thinking of buying it myself.

http://www.ucdsys.ru/?lang=en

Has English available and costs about £ 80 delivered.

£80 is a bit steep, spesh if you can get a free and equally good equivelant... I wonder if we could all put in and buy shares in it :p

It does more than Config obviously, but can't help wondering if in time Config will catch up anyway.

• 6 months later...

I'll stick to ELMConfig for now, as it just seems to get better & better with each update!

The only thing I have noticed is that the SMAX link provided seems to be hardware only, and would seem to be just a slightly different sticker to the modified ELM cable. Unless I have missed it and there is software there, it really seems the expensive method of what you can do yourself, or buy pre-made?