Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Fuel Do You Use?

PPKing

Hi all,

I know it's another 'here we go again' topic but I am very intrigued.

What fuel I use in my car has never really been at the forefront of my mind, just filling up when I need to wherever I am at the time with the standard Unleaded. But are there any pros to using certain types of fuel?

I know in some performance cars and tuned engines, it's important to be using the right stuff, but for my '10 zetec S is there any real difference across the range?

Just thought I'd check as if theres some potential benefit in MPG or performance then it's something I'd start doing.

What do you all use?

:)

Paul

I've got the same engine as what's in your ZS, and i've always used whatever is near to me at the time of needing fuel. Around 80% of the time it's been supermarket fuel and in the almost 3 years i've had no problems at all with using their fuel.

If I was to try Shell v power or tesco momentum, would it be alright to use that next time filling up if I have a bit of normal unleaded in there al ready, or will it have to be drained before mixing? Might try it as an experiment for a few months

You're right some some super cars will specify 98 or 101 RON but standard 95 is fine for a Fiesta.

Now when choosing between branded or supermarket, I always going with Shell.

BP all the way - just to annoy Nathan ;)

I would have thought that originally it all comes from the same place, its what the brands add to it, i always go morrisons for convenience, although the other day i drove past my only other option esso and they are 3p cheaper, i must admit that when i brought my car from ford they included a few quids worth of petrol as it was completely empty, they took it to a local BP garage and the engine seems a little smoother to me on the branded juice, might just be in my head but the power seemes a lot smoother under acceleration.

The fuel is sourced from the same refineries, my local Morrisons had a BP wagon filling the service station this week. The named brands spend more on research and additives to improve combustion and cleaning whereas the supermarkets meet the minimum RON specification.

My old Mondeo diesel did not like the Morrisons slop it felt sluggish and idled rough so I always use Shell, BP or Esso.

Ive always used Shell. Its only an extra penny per litre and at least I know what im getting. Who knows what the supermarkets mix it with, horse pee maybe?

I just get the cheapest, which is usually an Esso round the corner from my girlfriends, failing that Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys.

mostly always morrisons for me.. dosent make a blind bit of difference though tbh.. with the new fiesta the ecu adjusts to the fuels slightly so you wont see any mpg increase anyway

A few have said they use Shell, my local Shell charge extortionate prices. It's normally about 12p litre for the standard one. Yet when I travel elsewhere Shell seems to be so cheap! It's not fair

Out of all of these, BP and Esso are my most local so I will be trying these. Occasionally I pass a Shell garage so will make the most of it each time! I've been using Asda until now so will be a nice change :)

Wonder what the fuel prices will be come April :(

I hope so!

I heard on the radio this evening about the petrol prices will be a record price come April, as the price of filling a typical family car has risen by £4 in the last 6 weeks, so maybe it's still going ahead?

I can imagine it going up just for the sake of it going up, trouble is the people of this country are jokes, in France they got together and did a proper protest, all we do is... erm... complain? >_>

Oh, and let the government do it's own report on the fuel prices who says the prices are fair... yet they're crippling the country.

Yep, exactly! A shame how blind they can be sometimes to realise that raising fuel prices just aids towards the climate as it makes simple things like going to work much more expensive in the first place! How are you supposed to make money when earning it becomes more expensive?! I dunno eh

And then there's so many un-needed hold-ups and breakdowns because people can't even afford to fill their cars up with fuel in the first place -.-

I'm extremely lucky, only working 2 minutes walk from my house ;) However, like you say, you'll spend half your fuel in hold ups nowadays anyway

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club