Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Oomph!

jeebowhite

OK, so I have had the car about 6 weeks now, and whilst I do enjoy it, and it feels like it has some "oomph" (probably wont be saying that when I record my 0-60...) I am wondering just how worthwhile it is to do any sort of tuning on an auto, and if you can even get a sufficient improvement out of it...

So its a CMAX and classed as an estate, weight isnt really in its favour, and having two kids in the car, and the requirement for a buggy, probably wont be the greatest of help, but I doubt it will cost me dearly, but will the likes of tunebox (worthwhile remap is far too out of my price range!) and some uprated filters, and a good service actually put any vava into its vroom?

I look forward to your thoughts :D

OK, so I have had the car about 6 weeks now, and whilst I do enjoy it, and it feels like it has some "oomph" (probably wont be saying that when I record my 0-60...) I am wondering just how worthwhile it is to do any sort of tuning on an auto, and if you can even get a sufficient improvement out of it...

So its a CMAX and classed as an estate, weight isnt really in its favour, and having two kids in the car, and the requirement for a buggy, probably wont be the greatest of help, but I doubt it will cost me dearly, but will the likes of tunebox (worthwhile remap is far too out of my price range!) and some uprated filters, and a good service actually put any vava into its vroom?

I look forward to your thoughts :D

Induction filter will help your turbo spool a bit quicker,

And a remap if possible, I wouldn't buy a tuning box to be honest what you save on tuning box you will spend in mechanics on a turbo rebuild.

Bigger pipe from the dpf will also help the turbo spool quicker,

Thanks Lenny, I would love to be able to afford a remap, but at 250+ I just cant justify it! I'm thinking upgraded filters is the way to start, as for the induction filter, might be a place to start!

Which pipe are we referring to, just the standard exhaust diameter to the tail?

Panel filter in an ST airbox? Not sure if they're the same so look in to it (just suggested as it's built similar to the Focus), if not drop a panel in there. A good service will help, some good quality spark plugs too.

Does your car have a DPF? If not, a downpipe will help free up the turbo.

Panel filter in an ST airbox? Not sure if they're the same so look in to it (just suggested as it's built similar to the Focus), if not drop a panel in there. A good service will help, some good quality spark plugs too.

Does your car have a DPF? If not, a downpipe will help free up the turbo.

spark plugs in a car with a DPF? :lol::ph34r:

Recommendation for all diesels, Ford themselves recommended my car needed them when I said about turbo lag actually ;]

Recommendation for all diesels, Ford themselves recommended my car needed them when I said about turbo lag actually ;]

:lol::unsure:

I would have thought it needs a remap/ bluefin or an advanced tuning box to get any significant gains from it and the air filter would hardly make any difference and the main restriction in the exhaust is the DPF itself, probably followed by the mufflers/ silencers so a larger diameter downpipe may not make that much difference unless the DPF is removed 1st

Ideally a remap with the DPF electronically deleted and phisically removed may be the most cost - effective way to go as it would probably achieve the biggest gains than other modifications mentioned, in my opinion (if not per £)

other ideas -

A boost gauge would be nice

A bigger front mounted intercooler is quite affordable these days

EGR plate or delete (twin plate)

heat- wrapping the exhaust manifold/ downpipe

turbo resonator delete

A bit of sensible weight saving without going "nuts"

A bit of work on the intake (smoother hoses/ gas flowed airbox etc)

shorter/ thicker turbo hoses

££££ + mods - you could do a lot more but i would have thought an engine swap would be more cost- effective than hybrid turbos and bigger injectors, etc, exotic fuels can be impractical

The auto box can make a good match and compliment the turbo-diesel engine

Thanks Lenny, I would love to be able to afford a remap, but at 250+ I just cant justify it! I'm thinking upgraded filters is the way to start, as for the induction filter, might be a place to start!

Which pipe are we referring to, just the standard exhaust diameter to the tail?

Replace the standard 1.25" diameter exhaust pipe from dpf to tip with a 2.5" diameter pipe.

Price around a few places mate should be under 200 pounds including the silencer back box in mild steel,

You could make money back then selling your existing dpf back exhaust.

But I think being an automatic, it would require remapping to get the full potential from the free flow air in and gas out.

Because the car shifts gears at set revs etc. It may not push the little extra that would become available as result of fitting an induction filter and free flow exhaust.

Thanks for the advice guys, me thinks Spec is all I can afford at the moment, but there are some idea's there...

I am keeping an eye on BHP and all through Torque Pro, on a full full tank with heavy laden boot I got 88.8BHP and 13.5seconds 0-60...

That doesnt seem too bad given its a CMAX and fairly heavy and has an Unknown service History

Never the less, there is a lot of room for improvement, and minor tweaks I can afford to do will be done, but to be honest, I have a priority list of mods, and my car is never going to be a race car, so most my money will be invested visually as opposed to mechanically.

I will be looking to implement some of these as and when I can afford them... I have a service plan with Ford, and that should cover all costs as far as DPF management is concerned, so until I have enough money to remove and write out the DPF, I will just have to suck it up me thinks!

I suppose I did buy this car on premise of its Capacity and not for purposes of speed :P