Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annoying Knocking Noise From Front Right Wheel Of My Focus.

SWatson1990

Hello people (who may be able to help me!!!),

I have a 57 plate ford focus 1.6 zetec (petrol). The issue is that once I have done a motorway drive (exceeding 70mph) a knocking noise occurs from the front right wheel (or that general area) which can be heard once slowing down to below 40 mph and is frequent to the speed the wheels are turning (the slower the wheels turn the slower the knocking occurs).

I got it on a mechanic's ramp and had a look and even drove the wheels round in the air and the knocking noise didn't seem to happen (so i can only assume the weight of the car affected the knocking noise).

Plus, when I put the car into reverse and drive back about 5 meters, a clunking noise occurs in the same area and the knocking noise dissappears.

I am completely baffled by this, if anyone knows what could be causing this problem please give me some information on it as its driving me bonkers!!!

Many thanks. :)

Did you inspect the spring, ball joint, track rod end, drop link arm lower arm bushes?

Welcome to the forum btw :)

thanks, glad to be part of the ford society!

I suspected firstly it may be just a knackered joint in the driveshaft. But it sounds more like the wheel end, but my experience with cars doesn't go anywhere near this part of the vehicle.

I wouldn't know where to begin, it being a temperamental/motion issue it really makes it hard to locate the problem unless you know what worn or bent parts look like, which I don't!

All parts you just listed are in that general area but looking through other sites people say the knocking noise is probably the lower arm bushes. Just seems if any of the parts go that are listed it seems to result in a knocking noise either way!! :blink:

Would it be best to get it on ramps and just have a look around see if anything looks mishaped? Or take it to a mechanic? It's only done 20k miles but I'm thinking the previous owner has smacked the curb.

the best thing to do is get someone with a bit experience or a mechanic to look over it. but if you have got access to ramps then if you can get a pry bar and just check the bushes and joints for movement. worn bushes or joints are easy spotted when you start pulling at them and using a lever of some sort

Thanks you've been very helpful, if it is the bushes or the joints, are they expensive to replace (product and labour)?

Could be bushes, or more likely the CV Joint...

Thanks you've been very helpful, if it is the bushes or the joints, are they expensive to replace (product and labour)?

bushes can be replaced for a few quid each, but whoever does the work will need a few specific tools - a press or a set of drifts for removing/installing bushes.

I tend to fit new bushes myself or fit a complete genuine arm. The reason for this is i dont like pattern parts as they tend not to last as long and quite often genuine bushes are readily available (depending on make of vehicle in some cases)

but you will find almost all garages will fit a new (pattern part) complete lower arm which comes with bushes and ball joint already fitted.

expect to pay? £100 a side fitted? you will also need your wheel alignment checked after the work

Yes that's a possibility, but would you find that temperamental? CV joints are usually a consistent issue but this problem doesn't affect the steering (when i turn the wheel or leave it straight), but i can feel it through the brake pedal only and it's loud only and after a spell of motorway driving.

but you will find almost all garages will fit a new (pattern part) complete lower arm which comes with bushes and ball joint already fitted.

expect to pay? £100 a side fitted? you will also need your wheel alignment checked after the work

Well it is only the driver side, so I doubt I'll need to get both sides done, unless you would advice that? The tracking is also slightly out at them moment, that was suspect to me also.

Well it is only the driver side, so I doubt I'll need to get both sides done, unless you would advice that? The tracking is also slightly out at them moment, that was suspect to me also.

It is advisable to replace both sides at the same time to keep the geometry the same but its up to you.

I think it would be best as you say; more than likely i'll have to do the other side aswell as a precaution, when you say arm (this may sound stupid) but is that the whole driveshaft up to the wheel?

I think it would be best as you say; more than likely i'll have to do the other side aswell as a precaution, when you say arm (this may sound stupid) but is that the whole driveshaft up to the wheel?

the lower arm is bolted to the subframe via bushes and the other end is connected to the steering knuckle by the ball joint.

your lower control arm will look like this - http://cdn3.autopartsnetwork.com/images/catalog/brand/dorman/640/521-159-001.jpg

You have been very helpful, I am going to ring a local mechanic, let them drive it to hear the noise and see what they make of it as well. I'll keep you posted on this thread, tell you what the problem was!! B)

You have been very helpful, I am going to ring a local mechanic, let them drive it to hear the noise and see what they make of it as well. I'll keep you posted on this thread, tell you what the problem was!! B)

thanks mate, that would be great

hope you get it fixed soon and without any big bills

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club