Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 Fuel

PeterJeeves507

Hi all,

I'm about to start work experience with a company in barwell, Leicestershire, which will double the amount I spend on fuel each month. However, as I know that my 57 plate 1.6 fiesta zetec s' fuel guage isn't the most accurate, im quite tempted to simply brim the tank, fill up a fuel can to carry in the boot, and drive the car until it completely runs out, finding out once and for all how many miles I can get off a full tank, then use the contents of the fuel can to get home, or to the nearest petrol station. My only queary is whether I can simply put more fuel in after it runs completely out and stops, or whether the fuel pump has to be primed or will object in any way,

Any advice much appreciated,

Peter

What makes you think your fuel guage isnt accurate?

Maybe I meant over cautious, it tells me that I have 0 miles of fuel left well before its actually empty, which is a sensible feature, its more to find out just how much fuel I have in reserve, I also have a thing about buying fuel before I absolutely need it , as it isn't cheap these days! Its certainly more accurate than guage in my old golf, although very little of its fuel was actually combusted as the head gasket was well past its best!

Generally when your fuel light comes on you tend to have 50miles left out of the tank. Check your owners manual and it should tell you in there how far you can run your car when the light comes on although its recommended that you dont run your car with little to no fuel as this allows air into the engine which in the long term can damaged it.

I also have a thing about buying fuel before I absolutely need it , as it isn't cheap these days!

Filling up more often means that you won't have used as much fuel, meaning that each fill up will be cheaper. For example, if one £60 tank lasts you two weeks, filling up every week will cost you £30. Exactly the same amount spent in the long run, no matter how expensive it is. Trying to run your car on empty won't make it any cheaper to fill up.

Being a diesel, do not run the engine until it completely runs out of fuel. For one you could cause damage but secondly you will have great fun getting it started again

+1 running dry/ drawing air is not good for the pump and injectors and you are liable to flatten the battery trying to bleed/ start it again (diesel) and not so serious on a petrol but its liable to run a lean as it runs out

You must consider you cannot control where you are when you run out of fuel, and if its the outside lane of a Motorway it would be dangerous, also, you may run out at a bad time (eg - late for work etc) bad news in a petrol and very bad news in a diesel

So it would be better for the car, safer, save time and be more convenient to not allow the car to run out of fuel

Brimming the tank :-

My ex gets paid monthly, when she gets paid she fills her petrol tank right up, and hopes it lasts till the next month

She drives a tiny little (petrol) Kia, i tried to explain that the full tank represents a significant amount of weight in the car and she would be better putting half a tank in twice a month, and get better performance/ economy (and traction in the snow wet) because a couple of notes of paper are a lot lighter than half a tank of fuel

We can do the figures with a Fiesta -

Tank capacity = 43 Litres

Weight of 43 litres of petrol = Approx 30kgs (approx 3/4 the weight of water/ depends on temp)

Weight of 1/2 a tank of petrol = Approx 15kgs - does not sound much but it adds up and you will feel the difference in a small car

Diesel is a bit heavier than petrol too

Running the car near empty and just putting a little in (like a tenner) is the other extreme, I suppose waiting in line in filling stations/ supermarkets is time consuming and for some would add to the journey length/ mileage which means more topping up/ the possibility of getting "cought out" or having to top up at inconvenient times

Of course, if you are going on a long trip or if you recon the price of fuel is going up soon, (like now!) "brimming" it may be a good idea but running around with extra weight is not ideal either - and "topping it up" when it gets to halfway every time means you are just lugging about extra weight un-nessesarily

I feel its just a question of getting the balance right for your needs/ type of driving - but letting it run out - i personally would'nt

A long time ago i had a Sierra with a broken fuel gauge - i had to run with a can of petrol in the back, the seal was burst on the can and it was letting fumes into the cabin, after a long run the effects of this are similar to alchahol or solvent abuse, and (mainly) due to this i had an accident and "wrote off" tha car, luckily, no-one was hurt (this all happend because of a broken fuel gauge)

Petrol is obviously flammable too, and if you are a smoker/ have smokers in the car, it can be a recipie for disaster, especially if your mates are drunken idiots (trust me on this one)

its easy to spill a little petrol/ diesel on the can when you fill it - and it stinks too - (Almost) nothing worse than having the smell of petrol or deisel in the car all the time

nuff said

It would seem the original post has been edited, unless I'm going mad but I could have sworn there was mention of this car being a diesel and hence my last post...

It just says zetec-s - zetec - a trim level,

I think members should be encouraged to put more info on their posts and profile/ avatar, like petrol/ diesel, engins size etc etc, it would save a lot of time / hassle

It just says zetec-s - zetec - a trim level,

I think members should be encouraged to put more info on their posts and profile/ avatar, like petrol/ diesel, engins size etc etc, it would save a lot of time / hassle

Coming from yourself who simply has 'Ford' as your ford model :P lol the moderators have discussed this/are contemplating implementing it

Filling up more often means that you won't have used as much fuel, meaning that each fill up will be cheaper. For example, if one £60 tank lasts you two weeks, filling up every week will cost you £30. Exactly the same amount spent in the long run, no matter how expensive it is. Trying to run your car on empty won't make it any cheaper to fill up.

^^^This!