Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wire Interior Lights To Headlights?

vinylpusher

Hi, Is there a guide anywhere to be able to wire some LED strips so that they only come on when i have my headlights on??

If this isnt possible. Which cables can i splice into so that i can have a center console LED permanently on??

I would rather just with headlights though

Thanks

Maybe some of the interior lights behind the heater panels or dashboard? anywhere lights come on when the headlights are on

Hi, Is there a guide anywhere to be able to wire some LED strips so that they only come on when i have my headlights on??

If this isnt possible. Which cables can i splice into so that i can have a center console LED permanently on??

Thanks

Hi Ben,

Few options for you would be;

Fit a 3 way rocker switch next to the OBD port in the drivers side footwell,

Wire it so as position I

Is on when doors are opened,

Position O

Is off in any circumstance

Position II

Is on with the interior dash illumination,

I highly recommend fitting a switch in any case because coppers don't like interior lighting,

And this way you can deactivate on approach to checkpoints etc.

Another advantage to splicing in to existing interior illumination is;

If you fit a standard ford lighting switch with dimmer wheel,

Your extra lighting can also be dimmed,

You may like to view my guide in the list below this post for rear footwell lighting,

I will now check the haynes manual and inform you of the wires to splice in to for interior illumination,

Hi Ben,

Few options for you would be;

Fit a 3 way rocker switch next to the OBD port in the drivers side footwell,

Wire it so as position I

Is on when doors are opened,

Position O

Is off in any circumstance

Position II

Is on with the interior dash illumination,

I highly recommend fitting a switch in any case because coppers don't like interior lighting,

And this way you can deactivate on approach to checkpoints etc.

Another advantage to splicing in to existing interior illumination is;

If you fit a standard ford lighting switch with dimmer wheel,

Your extra lighting can also be dimmed,

You may like to view my guide in the list below this post for rear footwell lighting,

I will now check the haynes manual and inform you of the wires to splice in to for interior illumination,

Hello.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Looking around for suggestions i would much prefer it to be on the interior dash lighting so that i could use the dimmer for it aswell, as sometimes may not want it so bright.

That would be really helpful if you could find that out for me as ive searched google with no answers :( lol.

Would it be a case of just splicing into that? or would i need to add a switch?

Ive never hardwired any LED strips as my Footwells lights were already in place luckily and all other LEDS in previous cars i have just used the Cig lighter. But would rather not have cables running everywhere and extensions sticking out the socket

Thankyou

If you remove the panel on the centre console near the clutch pedal you'll be able to see the lighter socket wiring.

Taped to that is an unconnected wire which is for an illumination ring around the lighter socket if you ever fit a dash ashtray/cubby.

If you tap onto that line and then earth lights to a bolt or screw on a metal piece of car frame or panel you'll be fine.

I can confirm that this live feed will dim on the headlight dimmer wheel.

Hello.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Looking around for suggestions i would much prefer it to be on the interior dash lighting so that i could use the dimmer for it aswell, as sometimes may not want it so bright.

That would be really helpful if you could find that out for me as ive searched google with no answers :( lol.

Would it be a case of just splicing into that? or would i need to add a switch?

Ive never hardwired any LED strips as my Footwells lights were already in place luckily and all other LEDS in previous cars i have just used the Cig lighter. But would rather not have cables running everywhere and extensions sticking out the socket

Thankyou

No problem,

At the rear of the centre console switch for the rear window demist button,

Image1466.jpg

Splice in to the Orange&black feed for lights on positive

And

Splice in to black for negative

Using some cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-3A-amp-12V-Black-Red-DC-Power-Cable-per-5m-/170492569100?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27b226260c

Run a feed to a rocker switch, and fit it in the OBD port area of the dash,

Depending on what colour of leds you plan to fit, id advise purchasing an illuminating rocker switch to match,

This way, when your lights are active;

The illumination from the switch will also act as a light for the OBD pocket area,

Image1197.jpg

Image1199.jpg

Image1199-1.jpg

Then run a feed from the rocker switch to your new lights.

If you remove the panel on the centre console near the clutch pedal you'll be able to see the lighter socket wiring.

Taped to that is an unconnected wire which is for an illumination ring around the lighter socket if you ever fit a dash ashtray/cubby.

If you tap onto that line and then earth lights to a bolt or screw on a metal piece of car frame or panel you'll be fine.

I can confirm that this live feed will dim on the headlight dimmer wheel.

Ok thankyou i will take a look. To remove the side panel is are there just torx screws ?

Thanks

The dash lights up with the sidelights,(position 1) not the headlights (position 2)

Thanks for both the different options

I want just a mellow glow really. Don't want a pounding blue light.

Anyone suggest good LED trips for interior lighting ? Would the door handle ones in the guide be quite subtle?

How would you suggest mounting the switch ? Dont fancy something just dangling around. I dont really want to do anything too permanent (EG cutting the dash)

With your method mellow. Would i need a switch at all?

The dash lights up with the sidelights,(position 1) not the headlights (position 2)

Either way. Just meant that i dont want them on all of the time. Only when its dark enough that i need headlights (Sidelights) on

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club