Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Management Light On. Any Advice Appreciated.

Foxhall

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone could help. My EML came on a few days ago, and I would like to reset it to see if there is a problem or if it's just a reminder.

Also wondering whether there were any common reasons for the light coming on, whether there is a particularly likely problem it represents, or whether it just could be anything!

I own an '03 plate Mark V Fiesta.

Thanks,

Foxhall.

It could be a number of things causing it. If the car is running OK, it is likely to be a Lambda Sensor. You need to find someone with a code reader to plug into your OBD11 port to get an idea of what the issue is. Rather than spend a fortune on changing sensor's without knowing what the problem is, its best to get the codes off first.

Cheers for the quick reply.

Yeah got the RAC coming out to do it free. !Removed! good service. I want to get a bluetooth adapter for it so I can do it myself in the future and just because I'm ever so slightly geeky. Can you tell me if ODB2, ODB11 and ODBII are different. I have seen all three variations written.

Thanks again.

Foxhall.

I am pretty sure those are the same thing. I bought a code reader off of eBay for about £20. It was the best tool I have ever bought. You may find it was just a blip and once you clear the code it wont come back.

Thank you for the advice. I know that on alot of other forums I would have just been told to 'naff off n00b'! Hopefully the RAC guy will clear everything up. I will post results.

So the light is back on. The fault code was to do with the Heating Control. The RAC guy said that the lambda sensor had been on the blink. How much is this going to cost me do you think?

Foxhall.

So the light is back on. The fault code was to do with the Heating Control. The RAC guy said that the lambda sensor had been on the blink. How much is this going to cost me do you think?

Foxhall.

Dont go with a cheap universal sensor, you will soon be replacing it again

for an ngk or denso sensor you will probably be around £100

Ok, does that fault definitely mean that it is the lambda sensor? Could it be other things? I just want to do as much of the research work myself as I can to cut down on labor costs. =P

Foxhall.

it certainly seems plausible.

The pre cat sensor will have a heating element to get it up to temp quicker so it may have failed.

do you know what the fault code(s) are?

I can't say for certain. I got a glimpse of it but the RAC chap just said that it was sorted and that it might play up again. I thought that was the end of it for the time being. I have however ordered a code reader from amazon, a bluetooth one that will send lots of fun data to my phone. I will let you know when I have it. Else is there a list of the fault codes, I could find ones that relate to tthe lambda sensor and heating control and see if I recognise them.

Is NGK and NTK the same make, and perhaps more importantly, is my Fiesta a Mk5 or Mk6, parts website have told me that it's both!?

Thanks again,

Foxhall.

I can't say for certain. I got a glimpse of it but the RAC chap just said that it was sorted and that it might play up again. I thought that was the end of it for the time being. I have however ordered a code reader from amazon, a bluetooth one that will send lots of fun data to my phone. I will let you know when I have it. Else is there a list of the fault codes, I could find ones that relate to tthe lambda sensor and heating control and see if I recognise them.

Is NGK and NTK the same make, and perhaps more importantly, is my Fiesta a Mk5 or Mk6, parts website have told me that it's both!?

Thanks again,

Foxhall.

yours is a mk6.

yes they are the same company

Back again. Got my Scanner today ran some diagnostics, first thing I did was check fault codes, here is the result:

Screenshot_2013-02-28-19-33-08.png

Thank you for all your help. It's been really useful.

Foxhall.

Yeah. I'll look at buying a new one. I read that it could be a faulty connection or just broken all together. Caused by age and collisions, which it has had quite enough of! I'll just kill 2 birds and replace it. Are there any suppliers you would recommend?

Thanks again for all your help, such a great community.

Foxhall.

Yeah. I'll look at buying a new one. I read that it could be a faulty connection or just broken all together. Caused by age and collisions, which it has had quite enough of! I'll just kill 2 birds and replace it. Are there any suppliers you would recommend?

Thanks again for all your help, such a great community.

Foxhall.

it could be a bad connection, you might want to unplug it clean it then reconnect it but i suspect its a faulty sensor.

You could try euro car parts, they do the big names and you might also be able to get 25% off too

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Good Morning

My engine light is on but do you think I should do a diagnostic just to check or should I clear the light? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tino 910711 said:

Good Morning

My engine light is on but do you think I should do a diagnostic just to check or should I clear the light? 

You'll need a diagnostic reader to clear the light.  So yes, definitely check the code first.