Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Brake Pads.

Marty1198

My rear brake pads have hit the rivets so I need to fit a new set of pads. It's been a long time since I last did anything like this but I am going to give it a go. Are there any serious issues I should be aware of before I tackle this? Or is it all pretty straight forward?

I take it you mean brake shoes rather than pads

nothing much has really changed with brake drums, just make sure to give them a good clean. would be advisable to check the brake cylinders, handbrake cables and adjusters

Definitely pads. Maybe rivets wasn't the best description. Certainly down to the metal backing plates. I thought at first the grinding noise was being caused by a stone stuck between the disc and the pad but on closer inspection I see that the pad has worn to nothing. Oops.

yeah it was when you mentioned rivets that made me think you meant shoes.

Anyway, pads are pretty easy to change, you will need to rewind the pistons though

One of the fitters at work mentioned that too. He is going to talk to his pal tonight, see if he can get a loan of the wind back tool that makes it a bit easier. Just hope the weather stays good. Kinda chilly here in Glasgow!!

One of the fitters at work mentioned that too. He is going to talk to his pal tonight, see if he can get a loan of the wind back tool that makes it a bit easier. Just hope the weather stays good. Kinda chilly here in Glasgow!!

the wind back tool certainly does make it a bit easier.

the sooner this cold weather passes the better, no good for working on the car lol

Wind back tool lol I used a pair of pin nosed plyers and brute force to wind them back on my old focus st.

I will probably end up using something similar as well lol. It needs done asap. No car means no work.

Pads fitted. No broken bits. No bits left over. And no skint knuckles. The wind back tool my mate gave me didn't fit in the end so used Foci_ST3's method and used long nosed pliers. One side turned in no problem but the other side needed some persuassion. Both sides turned in clockwise, Thanks for the replies fellas.

Pads fitted. No broken bits. No bits left over. And no skint knuckles. The wind back tool my mate gave me didn't fit in the end so used Foci_ST3's method and used long nosed pliers. One side turned in no problem but the other side needed some persuassion. Both sides turned in clockwise, Thanks for the replies fellas.

Good job mate, thanks for the feedback

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club