Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Ecoboost Mpg

stuartr26

Fiesta Ecoboost MPG  

283 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average MPG with the ecoboost engine? (Be Honest!!)

That's true but when I went down to Blackpool I noticed when driving on my motorway m74 with all the hills I was getting 50mpg but when on flatter end of the motorway I was getting 68mpg and there wasn't any wind either so has to be done in strict conditions a guess as they test in strict conditions

Strict and totally unrealistic conditions. Static on fixed resistance rollers, no hills no gear changing and no traffic.....

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Think of it like this, if you have the 1.0L Ecoboost then it's pretty much the most economical pertol engined car out there, and if you're like me and don't like diesel then it's the ideal economical car :)

Also look at the extra charges diesel owners will have to pay before long e.g. London low emission zone. I bet when that is rolled out it might be cheaper to run a petrol in London than a diesel.

Agreed.

And the diesel is a big heavy !Removed! of an engine which spoils the driving experience totally.

I drive my 140bhp Black Edition like it was meant to be driven and I have an average 42.3mpg. Dead happy with that!

You seem to be getting the same degree of l/100km I was getting with a brand new Ecoboost which is odd given it's already done 10,000km. These days I get 6-7.5 in the city and about 4.5-5.5 on the open road but only if I keep a constant speed say 120-130km/h beyond that e.g. on the German Autobahn the efficiency drops quite a bit. As I am doing mainly city driving right now my average is 7l/100km which is probably distorting the numbers quite a bit.

My Titanium 100ps on 2500 miles averages between 45 and 50. mixed roads 30 - 60 mph. On a long run , 3hrs of motorway avg 65mph, i got 58mpg.

I'll only say this once. The on board computer things the driver is a fool who will believe anything. The pole says 40ish mpg is more typical (considering some people believe the OBC)... which is abysmal for such a tiny engine. My Golf 1.9 GT, gives 50 mpg under the same conditions, and thats 13 yrs old, bigger, heavier, and a damn sight quicker.

Well I've got to say I've checked my OBC twice now against real world fuel consumed and find it to be very accurate. Of course my mileometer may be out in the same was as my speedo overreads, but there you go.

Now you say your nearly two litre Golf is a damn sight quicker than my nearly one litre Fiesta? Well, blow me down, whoever would have thought it.

• Like 2

The Golf (if it's a 1.9 diesel) is also a damn sight uglier, dirtier and smellier.

That's not an insult but a truth.

Why, some old oil burners could probably run on chip fat too... Mmmm nice.

The point you miss here is that modern technology has allowed Ford and others to create very small capacity engines that, to date, are zero road fund rated, will never need a cambelt changed, are fantastically agile and fun to drive, are pretty quick by ANY standards and can STILL give almost diesel like economy, not forgetting petrol per litre is so much cheaper than devil oil too.

• Like 2

Let's not forget dpf problems lol

Well, we Ecoboosters can forget dpf problems but there's an awful lot of diesel drivers out on the M25 right now burning their expensive oily smelly fuel and going fast in an effort to burn off the particulates that their London driving has accumulated. So much for the diesels 'economy'.

And sad that the general public were told a pack of lies to encourage them to buy these more polluting vehicles. Oh how the manufactures must have laughed, selling a cheaper car for more money .. a lot more money in some cases.

My current Fuelly stats, the 52MPG was a weekend drive to family which was on pretty empty A-Roads at 60MPH. But in normal commuting the economy is terrible. I borrowed a 2001 BMW 318 automatic from a friend in September while my car was going through MOT and was doing 31MPG.

Also, I tend to find the onboard computer is on average about 3MPG out, when it reads 36MPG I get 33MPG etc.

Screen_Shot_2014_12_05_at_11_33_21.jpg

Jonathan

Also, I tend to find the onboard computer is on average about 3MPG out, when it reads 36MPG I get 33MPG etc.

It's about the same for me, but it over-reads by between 2 and 5 mpg depending on the kind of journeys involved.

I've just got a 1.6 EcoBoost ST and I'm getting 30-35 mpg doing urban driving. So I can imagine the lower litre engines should be able to achieve more than this easy. Mines at 8000 miles so it's run in and should be operating at the correct level now. When I've worked out my miles from my first full tank I'm going to do a calculation my self to get a more accurate figure. But in my 1 weeks experience these are very good economic petrol engines. I had a vag diesel before and was only managing 40 at best most of the time and had nothing but problems with coking up and had 4 full engine cleans in 30300 miles.

I have a theory (could be rubbish) that with the smaller 1.0 engine hills seem to be a problem, I notice when going up a hill, even a small one, the engine strains a lot and the shown computer MPG falls off a cliff. With my previous 1.4 4 pot non-turboed engine hills didn't seem to affect the computer MPG much and the engine wasn't stressed. My other car has 120BHP vs Fiesta's 125BHP and hills don't bother it either, it's a 1.6 4 pot. I wonder do the extra cubes make the difference.

I also have a theory, actually I'm pretty sure to be honest that stop/start is a waste of time. My previous car was rated at 42MPG, had no stop/start and was more economical if only by 5MPG. If stop/start really was so helpful we'd see good MPG during our daily commute, but we're not.

Jonathan

On a long run I can get maybe 45mpg but on my daily commute (around 10 miles, usually spent in a queue) I get around 35 which is about the same sort of fuel consumption I used to get in my old Fiesta 1.4 auto. I do prefer my Powershift though - it never seems to struggle and the reduction in RFL is really nice too!

I have a theory (could be rubbish) that with the smaller 1.0 engine hills seem to be a problem, I notice when going up a hill, even a small one, the engine strains a lot and the shown computer MPG falls off a cliff. With my previous 1.4 4 pot non-turboed engine hills didn't seem to affect the computer MPG much and the engine wasn't stressed. My other car has 120BHP vs Fiesta's 125BHP and hills don't bother it either, it's a 1.6 4 pot. I wonder do the extra cubes make the difference.

I also have a theory, actually I'm pretty sure to be honest that stop/start is a waste of time. My previous car was rated at 42MPG, had no stop/start and was more economical if only by 5MPG. If stop/start really was so helpful we'd see good MPG during our daily commute, but we're not.

Jonathan

You could be right about hills, I guess if the revs aren't high enough for the turbo to spool up properly the small engine might struggle a bit. As for start stop, I think it's more about making a small difference to economy and CO2 emissions, maybe to help cars get below 100 g/km. Or do they measure emissions only while the car is moving (at least moving on a rolling road)?

The start/stop function must make a bit of difference, as I recently made a note of how much 'Stop' time I accumulate over a week and both weeks I counted, it was about 15 mins.

I get between 48-50 mpg. going about 8 miles (each way) to work.

Stop start works on the drip drop principle. My credit card is one that pays me back half a percent of everything I buy using it. Half of one percent? What good is that to man or beast? But the drip drop principle means I get back about eight quid a month and for what? For buying stuff I'd be buying anyway.

Same with my stop start. It's a no brainer. It's automatic, it's faster than I can get it into gear, it's intelligent (starts if I start to roll forward) and leaves me and the stereo in perfect harmony at road works, lights, level crossings.

What's not to like? Well, anyone with a 13 plate SS Fiesta will be impressed by how much it's improved in the 14 plate year. And it requires a rather posh battery because of the added strain. You won't be replacing it with a Halfords forty quid special after 10 years, in sure of that.

The little 1 litre ecoboost is so light and spins so freely that it starts with the tiniest starter motor pulse. But I I'd not recommend SS on a ford diesel, those clunky engines are best left running if you don't want to irritate passengers beyond endurance.

Hi Everybody

Have just done a run from Leeds to Long Eaton Notts down the A1 / M18 / M1 and back in my ZS. Have now got 1038 miles on the clock and today it as returned 47.5 mpg. This is the best figure to date i have had. Filled it up and it is now on 3/4 tank on gauge still. Well pleased. :)

Mick G.

I went for a fairly long drive yesterday and this was my reward... :D

download_zpse3f2a13e.jpeg

Awarded for driving like a Granny lol!

Fair play though...

• Like 2

On a few city runs (I reset it again today) my average is about 7.1l per 100km or 39mpg. On more open road runs this goes down to an average of about 5-5.5l per 100km which is about 51mpg. I can get a lot better than this if I am kind and gentle and don't overtake too much but lets face it sometimes we need a little kick when driving...

Given I live in a city with pretty awful congestion I am reasonably happy with that city cycle, although the the open road I'd prefer it to be a bit closer to the claimed amount under reasonable driving conditions.

Stop start works on the drip drop principle. My credit card is one that pays me back half a percent of everything I buy using it. Half of one percent? What good is that to man or beast? But the drip drop principle means I get back about eight quid a month and for what? For buying stuff I'd be buying anyway.

Same with my stop start. It's a no brainer. It's automatic, it's faster than I can get it into gear, it's intelligent (starts if I start to roll forward) and leaves me and the stereo in perfect harmony at road works, lights, level crossings.

What's not to like? Well, anyone with a 13 plate SS Fiesta will be impressed by how much it's improved in the 14 plate year. And it requires a rather posh battery because of the added strain. You won't be replacing it with a Halfords forty quid special after 10 years, in sure of that.

The little 1 litre ecoboost is so light and spins so freely that it starts with the tiniest starter motor pulse. But I I'd not recommend SS on a ford diesel, those clunky engines are best left running if you don't want to irritate passengers beyond endurance.

Having got used to the stop start over the second week of ownership, I miss it on our other vehicle now. The long-timed light uphill intersection near our place that I loathed in my previous car is now a laugh, with the hill assist helping. Relaxed wait on the grade, some peaceful music, then a snappy start and handbrake-free pull off up the hill. What a laugh. Now I'm getting the swing of driving this vehicle I'm really beginning to enjoy it.

Having got used to the stop start over the second week of ownership, I miss it on our other vehicle now. The long-timed light uphill intersection near our place that I loathed in my previous car is now a laugh, with the hill assist helping. Relaxed wait on the grade, some peaceful music, then a snappy start and handbrake-free pull off up the hill. What a laugh. Now I'm getting the swing of driving this vehicle I'm really beginning to enjoy it.

Yeah the hill start assist is a great feature. I'm still getting used to it though because I hardly ever get a chance to use it, and sometimes it takes me by surprise and I nearly stall lol.