Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Ecoboost Mpg

stuartr26

Fiesta Ecoboost MPG  

283 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average MPG with the ecoboost engine? (Be Honest!!)

Hi

Well I've just proudly voted in the 50 - 60 MPG range - just! My Fiesta Titanium 1.0 L (125) which has covered nearly 3000 miles, mainly on rural roads and on standard grade fuel, is indicating between 50 and 53 MPG depeding on how hard I drive and whether the air con is on max chat or not. So I am getting within 80% of the book MPG which I am very pleased about. This was after resetting the avg mpg indicator from new. It is worth resetting it frequently and then you can use it to drive by to give you a good indication of your driving efficiency. If you don't reset it, it builds up old data and becomes less sensitive to changes of MPG as you drive. The instant MPG readout is as useful as a chocolate fireguard and they could have used this display for a moving average readout negating the need to manually reset the avg mpg continually.

It seems some people are disappointed with the apparent shortfall of MPG, but I have to say that my pevious was an MX-5 1.8 which has virtually identical accelaration and top speed to the Fiesta and driving them both at a push the Fiesta still beats the Mazda by about 15 MPG! Although the Fiesta is not quite so quick round a roundabout, at least you don't get rear wheel drive ruining your day.

All round, the Fiesta is a stunner IMO.

Not many cars on board mpg readouts are accurate... so an indicated 50 mpg could be anywhere betwen 40 and 50... which is quite poor, no?

Hi, any manufacturers quoted mpg aren't accurate to 'real world' motoring and Ford state that on the back page of the brochure. Most cars get to about 80% of the quoted figures http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ Cruise control will never ever give the best mpg either on our roads unless they are totally flat and without any air resistance....

Most ecoboosts (as voted for above) are getting between 30 and 50 mpg, which is on average less than 70% of the manufacturers figure. I get about 44 mpg (real mpg, not taken off the dashboard, which is hopelessly optimistic) on mainly A roads. In my previous huge diesel volvo car I got the same mpg. I am very disappointed in the fiesta mpg, but I hope it will improve as the engine beds in, tho I doubt it will. I must say that I do think it is a nice engine, just very inefficient, and designed to pass the tests rather than to be good in the real world. Throw in the fact that most drivers believe the dashboard mpg figure and hey presto, Ford have a winner.

Cruise control is excellent on m/ways for improving mpg, unless there are lots of hills and traffic. When you use it you realise how much other people slow down and speed up over time for no other reason than they are not a computer but are very bored and not concentrating very hard, which is understandable. What on earth zero air resistance has to do with it is anyone's guess!?!?

I brought my fiesta to have fun and enjoy driving until I get stuck behind some slow coach doing 20 mph lower than the limit to conserve fuel.

Enjoy your car's and stop worrying about MPG figures. And please please keep the slow coaches in the left lane. Thanks.

I brought my fiesta to have fun and enjoy driving until I get stuck behind some slow coach doing 20 mph lower than the limit to conserve fuel.

Enjoy your car's and stop worrying about MPG figures. And please please keep the slow coaches in the left lane. Thanks.

I agree that slow coaches are a pain, especially in the outside lane on the motorway. The chap that gets 60 mpg while doing 65 mph is a great example of how odd the ecoboost argument is. ANY car going that slowly at constant speed with a modest engine size should do a respectable mpg (but his will be low 50s as he is believing the dashboard figure, which will be optimistic [it sells cars]). But my car has replaced a car that was twice as big and a little faster, but does the same mpg (again, I need to reiterate that I mean real mpg, not Ford dashboard mpg!).

I also agree and think the engine is great fun to drive briskly, that did sell for me. But the whole point about the ecoboost is higher mpg through turbocharging... but it doesn't seem to be working, and if you do 20k a rear and are spending a couple of grand more than you expected to over 3 years, then yes, you have every right to complain and discuss why this is.

I came from a focus ST which had a volvo 5 cylinder turbo charged engine in it that gave around 22 mpg so im more than happy with what I'm getting now.

I do arround 6-8 thousand a year hence a petrol but considering the mileage your doing wouldnt a diesel be a better option for better mpg

Not many cars on board mpg readouts are accurate... so an indicated 50 mpg could be anywhere betwen 40 and 50... which is quite poor, no?

Actually, long term (not resetting av mpg) and driving without particular regard to economy on a variety of roads, the indicated average mpg has now settled to read between 44 and 45. I think that is realistic and I'm still happy with it. I can't be bothered to drive like Miss Daisy.

I have now reset my vote to show 40 - 50 mpg.

• Like 1

Cruise control is excellent on m/ways for improving mpg, unless there are lots of hills and traffic. When you use it you realise how much other people slow down and speed up over time for no other reason than they are not a computer but are very bored and not concentrating very hard, which is understandable. What on earth zero air resistance has to do with it is anyone's guess!?!?

Yes, but equally I could say what has love got to do with it?

• Like 1

Forgot to say I also had a 1.1 litre Panda Active that did low 50s mpg (manufacturer figure was about 56 I think) on the identical commute I do in the fiesta, although it was obviously very slow to accelerate (it needed a damn good thrashing but was still economical. I sold that and the D5 diesel volvo to downsize.

maybe ecoboost is good for town but crap on longer runs???

Forgot to say I also had a 1.1 litre Panda Active that did low 50s mpg (manufacturer figure was about 56 I think) on the identical commute I do in the fiesta, although it was obviously very slow to accelerate (it needed a damn good thrashing but was still economical. I sold that and the D5 diesel volvo to downsize.

maybe ecoboost is good for town but crap on longer runs???

Remember air resistance is lower in town!

In start stop traffic the economy is rubbish, better on the motorway at just over 70mph

Hi, any manufacturers quoted mpg aren't accurate to 'real world' motoring and Ford state that on the back page of the brochure. Most cars get to about 80% of the quoted figures http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ Cruise control will never ever give the best mpg either on our roads unless they are totally flat and without any air resistance....

Cruise is excellent for mpg and right foot blood flow! Not sure what air resistance has got to do with it...

I get around 37 mpg but mine is nearly all on a cold engine short journeys I have done just over 1000 miles and hope it will improve as the milage goes up

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, probably doesn't make much difference, have you tried any higher octane fuels bp ultimate Shell v-power or whatever they call it these days

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

I tried some Super unleaded for a few tanks but noticed a drop in mpg. I guess I just drove more like a maniac than normal ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My fiesta 1.0 is a year old, 7.7k on clock and never used anything but tesco petrol and solid 44-46 mpg, thats doing 22 mile round trip to work and a bit of pottering round town, a decent 50 mile trip (thats what it takes to get onto M6 from whitehaven) can comfortably get 54-56 however on motorway around 45 -47...and happy with that...fantastic car having dropped in size from kuga..looking at try 97 ron fuel and getting it chipped soon so wondering what to expect

I've had my car for two weeks now, and I'm currently on 47.3 Av. MPG (about a week and a half since the MPG was reset). I have noticed something strange. It never shows 47.2 :unsure: It goes from 47.1 to 47.3. Sometimes when it's right on the limit between them it will change from one to the other and back and jump over 47.2 every time. Very odd.

So far I've only done 8 mile runs to work and back (the Eco screen was saying it was cold about 67% of the time), so I'd get better with longer runs, or in the summer, but I'm very pleased with how far I'm getting. I'm interested to see how many miles I get on a full tank. I used to get about 350 miles with about 40-42 litres in my MG ZR. This is easily going to beat that. My record in the MG was 420 miles (in the summer).

Paul, my display is the same, it often skips over the ##.2 setting for some reason. Miles per tank has little meaning unless you tank up when the display jumps to zero miles to empty, but who dares leave it that long? I've been down to 4 miles to empty but it made me sweat a bit.

Paul, my display is the same, it often skips over the ##.2 setting for some reason. Miles per tank has little meaning unless you tank up when the display jumps to zero miles to empty, but who dares leave it that long? I've been down to 4 miles to empty but it made me sweat a bit.

I do ;)

• Like 1

How much in £££ does it cost to fill up the 1.0T tank from empty

I know it will vary based on petrol costs per litre etc, but what's the average cost ?

How much in £££ does it cost to fill up the 1.0T tank from empty

I know it will vary based on petrol costs per litre etc, but what's the average cost ?

Here you go

post-5052-13940424613_thumb.jpg

• Like 1