Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Ecoboost Mpg

stuartr26

Fiesta Ecoboost MPG  

283 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average MPG with the ecoboost engine? (Be Honest!!)

On 2/9/2019 at 12:36 PM, Blatto said:

Hmm, not sure why you get such low figures then. My commute is about 64 miles a day 70% or so motorway, the rest a mixture of A & B roads and a few miles in the town.

Maybe I'm just lucky and got a good engine build or maybe it's just driving style.

I ran the car in for the first 1500 miles or so as suggested in the manual and didn't really go over 4000 rpm until about 2500 miles were on the clock but since then I've just driven it at what I would call an average to brisk pace. I think I'd have to take it to the red line in each gear to get it to go under 40mpg. You should be able to easily get 50mpg on a mainly dual carriageway commute. What's your average speed on the 40 mile commute, mine shows as 46mph on my 64 mile trip.

The average speed would be 70 - I pull straight onto the dual carriageway and normally have a clean run down the road and back up.

So far on the same trip the new Mk8 ST-Line is showing 38.8 mpg and I am currently running it in.  Sitting at about 60mph with the revs rarely getting near to 3k

Well my average mph is taken from the time i start the car and do the first 3 miles or so on A & B roads to get to the motorway, then it's about 50-60mph for first 8 miles of motorway (it's very congested at 7am so you rarely get much faster on that stretch) then it clears up and I'm usually doing an indicated 70- 80 for the next 10 miles then it's a section of 30-50mph A roads and a few miles in town with about 6 roundabouts. By the time I park up at work my average speed is about 46mph.

At a steady 70mph over the same distance I would expect to get at least 55mpg.

One thing, if you are running it in don't sit at a constant rpm  for too long, vary it a bit either by going a bit faster or slower if it's safe to do so or change down a gear or two (obviously with out lugging the engine or revving it too high). It does mention it in the manual and it was always what I was taught many years ago.

I had the opportunity to "drive it like a kitten lastnight". Had to do a nightshift to cover for a couple of people off sick. Drove home at 3am so almost empty roads. I was a bit weary so took it very steady doing about 50mph all the way where possible. When I started out my average mpg (from about a weeks commute was 51.5mpg) by the time I had got home that had gone up to 54.5mpg) I'd guess if I'd reset the average mpg for that trip it would have been around 60mpg.

The fact that you get similar lower figures on both your cars suggest it might be your driving style that's reducing it.

My speedo reads 10% over compared with my satnav. If this is the case, my fuel consumption is showing 10% over. If my computer is showing 50 mpg I am only getting 45 mpg. Going on a full tank to a full tank of fuel calculating the milage covered will still be 10% more than actual. 

Mac

1 hour ago, elanmac said:

My speedo reads 10% over compared with my satnav. If this is the case, my fuel consumption is showing 10% over.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case - they may not be synchronised. All speedos overread because by law they mustn't underread.

At my last fill up my fuel computer was showing 44.1 mpg when the actual figure was 42.1 mpg.   My speedo varies with the actual speed shown on my satnav.   At 30 it shows 33 but at 70 it only shows 72.

All analogue speedos I've had experience of over read,  and as someone mentioned this is by design.

The speed indicated by a GPS system is usually less than +/- 0.5mph of the actual speed  on a level road with a good GPS signal (according to the spec in my Garmin Manual)

Before I had my Fiesta I had a Citroen C4 which had a digital speedo and compared to my GPS it was always 2mph over the GPS reading at any given speed.

I checked my Fiesta on the way home tonight, at a steady 30mph on the car speedometer my GPS reads 27mph. At an indicated 70mph on the car speedo the GPS says 66 mph.

I did the same - downloaded a GPS speedo onto my phone.

My speedo overread by about 10% at 30mph and by about 8% at 50mph.

This discrepancy was what I wondered about. The speed and milage use the same sensor so how can the mpg be checked accurately. Even filling the tank after so many miles cannot be more than a good guess as the milometer might be 10% over.

This discrepancy was what I wondered about. The speed and milage use the same sensor so how can the mpg be checked accurately.

Easily. They both measure accurately but they just add 10% before displaying the speed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

From a cold start I change up at about 1800rpm (apart from when leaving my estate as it's uphill so I have to take it to 2500rpm before changing)

Then once it's warmed up a bit and depending on the conditions or the requirements for safe driving I change up at about 2000-2500 rpm.

Joining the motorway with a fairly short on-ramp I take it up to about 4000rpm in 3rd and 4th so I can get up to speed quick enough for a safe merge.

I've had it up to around 5,500 on a couple of overtakes but only for a few seconds and on a hot engine.

I'd guess on a typical commute my engine is mostly in the 1800-3200 rpm range.

Changing down I just try and keep the engine above about 1500 rpm e.g. in my ST-Line 140 - 5th gear is about 1500 rpm at 35mph so on a flat road in 5th I'd change down to 4th if my speed dropped to 35 or below. 4th to 3rd when speed has dropped to 25 or below. (on the MK7 the 100 & 125 bhp variants have much longer gear ratios than the 140, not sure if that's still the same on the MK8?)

As for getting good mpg I think anticipation and conservation of momentum are far more influential on the values than when you change up (unless of course you are screaming it to red line through each gear). If you are spending most of your journeys on A roads and motorways at a decent brisk pace you should be able to get 50+mpg easily.

Spend a lot of time in stop start traffic in towns or very short journeys then low 40's mpg seems to be the average.