Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie, Am I Just Hearing Things??

Feryl

Hi everyone,

As the title says, a lot of the time when I'm changing gear, generally the lower ones, I seem to hear and feel a little clunk noise...sometimes I can stop this, especially when going achingly slow on lifting the clutch but it can still happen, enough to make me wonder - is this normal for a focus? It's a 2012 tdci titanium econetic...

Hi Gareth,

is this only when you start to drive off? if so, its probably just the ABS self test.

If its later in the gears, it could be a faulty clutch...

• Like 1

Hey jeebowhite,

Thanks for the reply firstly.

Well having done my usual research first on what it might be I did wonder if this was the case but it doesn't seem to be, for starters it doesn't only happen when I've just started the engine up, which is what I believe the abs test does, is this right?

Sounds fairly normal to me. You should hear/feel my mum's 206 tdci when you change gear.

It will vary depending on how cold the clutch is, how well you match the revs between gears and how hard you hit the bite point of the clutch.

Sounds fairly normal to me. You should hear/feel my mum's 206 tdci when you change gear.

It will vary depending on how cold the clutch is, how well you match the revs between gears and how hard you hit the bite point of the clutch.

I hope I never feel your mums Peugeot when I change gear... I dont think my insurance company would like me very much ;) :P

It could be clutch bump (thrust bearing perhaps) but I still wouldn't discount the bump being the ABS, the test typically occurs at the point of startup, however, if there is a duff reading, when you drop to 0 it may request a second self test (or third or fourth... so on)

does it feel it comes centrally, or one side or the other?

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies again. Right yeah see I was wondering if it's just a case of me having to get used to the sound of things, hence the title, having not had a diesel before etc..

Just seems like you can hear a lot of clanking and clunking around when choosing the gears and using the clutch as well as this particular clunk I'm chatting about.. but could easily be me gone a bit mental over fussing with my new baby, lol.

In answer to the last question though, centrally I think it comes from... Cheers G

Mine does exactly the same! I was worried it was just me/my dodgy gear changing :P

It's booked in for it's second year service next week and I've mentioned it for them to look at, can't hurt to have it looked at whilst it's still in warranty! Will let you know what they say.

Cheers jimrex, that's exactly what I've been thinking too, even been altering the way I change gears to see if it makes any difference, sometimes I think it does but then I'll hear something again, hence I think I'm just being overly sensitive about it all! Doesn't seem to affect the performance I don't think..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey jimrex, was wondering if when you put in for your service if they answered the question of clunk noises?

Cheers

• 2 years later...

More than a year on I have bought a new diesel Titanium (built March 2015) which after 1800 miles has started doing the same thing as reported by Feryl (in relation to his 2012 Focus).

Is it a feature of Focuses that they have clunky gears?

they shouldnt do, other than the 10mph ABS clunk (self test) once per ignition cycle, there isnt any other known factors that would be at fault.

Thanks, jeebowhite for the straightforward answer. In truth, the clunkiness has diminished since posting ... oh dear, I wonder if I was just driving badly?!

nah you probably just ran over a vauxhall.... or at least a part of a vauxhall.... :p

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Took the Focus into my dealer because when driving my wife to work I heard more distinct clunks from the gears particularly on changing up from 2nd to 3rd.

The Focus had 3,875 on the clock and has been exhibiting this behaviour since it had about 1,000 on the clock. Simon from the service Department kindly volunteered to come out and drive round the nearby industrial park with me.

Initially no clunks – indeed I was a bit jerky making the first change from 1st to 2nd but there was no clunk at all – the gears performed perfectly. Simon said there was absolutely no trouble with my driving style and he could tell I was an experienced driver.

Then we had a clunk. Simon called it a slight “clonking”. I call it "a distinct clunk"! He said I have to remember that with a 6-speed gearbox there have to be tolerances and the slight clonking we heard was, as far as he was concerned, completely normal and acceptable … he said, “to be honest, I have heard far worse" ... I have to say I tend to become a little nervous when people profess to being honest!!

I said to him that I had never experienced this clunking before (not with Audis, BMW's, Daihatsus, Rovers,Citroens etc etc) and was there any way I could alter my driving style to avoid the clunks – he did not give me a straightforward answer, referred again to tolerances, and asked if I would like him to do some driving – which I agreed to.

On his first change up from 2nd to 3rd there was a very loud clunk … no, he confirmed, that was absolutely nothing to worry about. I asked him if there was any need for a check or adjustment and he said, no.

He confirmed I should relax and enjoy the car and accept that Ford gearboxes clunk.

... any observations?!

Its the rear engine mount, it allows too much freeplay on the engine as the power kicks back in, A stiffer bushing or an insert will help tremendously

Thanks for that madmole ... I am not at all mechanically minded but I have to say your explanation makes sense ... I'll speak again to the dealer.

I'll let you know how I do!

Powerflex do an insert for about £25 that you press into the original mount to fill the gaps and stiffen it, but many people fit the rear mount from the electric Focus, which is a perfect fit and a lot stiffer

• Like 1