• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 handymr

handymr

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 1.4lx
Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

Focus 1.4 04 plate. I'v noticed an oil patch under my car and on further investigation i'm 90% convinced it is coming from the crankshaft. (10% thats its from the sump gaskett) .
How easy is it to change the seal on the crankshaft , have any of you Pro's any advice e.g Time & difficulty. or if too difficult how much to pay for a garage to do the job. I'm getting grief from the Mrs
about the oil on the drive ...... many thanks for any tips & advice .........

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 handymr

handymr

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 1.4lx
Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Focus 1.4 04 plate. I'v noticed an oil patch under my car and on further investigation i'm 90% convinced it is coming from the crankshaft. (10% thats its from the sump gaskett) .
How easy is it to change the seal on the crankshaft , have any of you Pro's any advice e.g Time & difficulty. or if too difficult how much to pay for a garage to do the job. I'm getting grief from the Mrs
about the oil on the drive ...... many thanks for any tips & advice .........

Also if I add a product like "redex stop oil leak" will this damage a zetec engine because it needs thinner oil ? This would be a way round the problem ....

#3 w2575

w2575

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2
Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

Also if I add a product like "redex stop oil leak" will this damage a zetec engine because it needs thinner oil ? This would be a way round the problem ....

To my knowlwdge this is an engine out job! You may be able to drop the sump and have a look at the sump gaskit first and then mayb see the crankshaft seal a smear of hylomar (think thats the correct spelling) may provide a satisfactory sealing but by no means good repair ! Never known them to go on the crankshaft tho !

Dont know it this helps but its where i would start

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users