Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1: Fix Or Scrap?

DF10

Hi Guys, Hope you don't mind me diving straight in to the forum . :)

I own a MK1 3dr 1.4 zeetec focus. Had it for 6 months, brought for £900 with 85k on the clock. After a month or so of owning started to develop a few problems, aux squeal, squeaky brakes, engine management light and some noises coming from timing belt (tentioner?). Decided recently to get it checked at ford, huge rap sheet. Big ones, Steering rack and PAS pump, + drive belt, front drop links, rear bushes, diff seal. Plus needs a timing and WP change and a good service. ££££££. Also needs some minor bits present when i brought it (passenger seat recliner wheel, passenger door card, AC + rear heated window relay + bumpers are cracked).

Student with a son and expensive GF! Ha, so budget is next too nothing, so on the hunt for a new car under 1k, long story short, bought a punto, it was in need of repair (piston rings), kicked off and returned to dealer, lost £80 during process, budget now 900. I now can't find anything that is completely sound, so realistically, looking at best, 100 to fix any faults on a new car. Done some pricing up of everything i need to get the focus close to perfect, looking at £500 using a mixture of scrappy, euro car parts and eBay. Plus will do all the work myself with a haynes manual. (5 years back i was 3 years through a mechanic apprenticeship which I never finished for family reasons. so know basics, but diagnosing is not strong). This saves me around £400 and I have a car that should be sound ( :blink: ). But its a ton of work!

Does anyone think its worth it for the work load, or just keep looking for a good replacement? Scrap it and get £130 plus 2 months tax. Hard question to answer i know, just wondering opinions.

Last thing, honest! Have a fault :rolleyes: , which i am not sure of. Car idle drops when slowing down to a stop, then picks straight back up again, not sure if idle control, speed sensor? And also, noticed today 1 time, when in gear,no gas, car was moving as if i had a touch of throttle on? Same fault as idle maybe? Thanks for your time..sorry for the long post!

Any help really appreciated. Thanks.

It is a tough question mate, but my opinion is that you may well be throwing good money after bad. It is indeed a big list of things to do, and a lot of work required, once done, there is no saying something else won't let go, then you've spent a load of money, and in the same situation again. BUT, another thing to look at is your budget for a replacement,,, £900 is not a lot. And for that kind of money you could be buying into any number of similar problems. Its a difficult choice, only advice would be to buy something within budget, but with a relatively simple layout, and also something that you can find replacement parts for in a scrapyard, or very cheap new. Good luck in your quest, keep us informed.

It is a tough question mate, but my opinion is that you may well be throwing good money after bad. It is indeed a big list of things to do, and a lot of work required, once done, there is no saying something else won't let go, then you've spent a load of money, and in the same situation again. BUT, another thing to look at is your budget for a replacement,,, £900 is not a lot. And for that kind of money you could be buying into any number of similar problems. Its a difficult choice, only advice would be to buy something within budget, but with a relatively simple layout, and also something that you can find replacement parts for in a scrapyard, or very cheap new. Good luck in your quest, keep us informed.

Thanks for the reply. That was my initial thought, the problem with it is once my budget is gone, im dry for a month, so any fix would need to wait! Wish someone would invent a big !Removed! foam finger that starts pointing at the car with the most problem free mileage!

I'll probably get banned from the site for saying this on here, but Japanese stuff would prob be your best bet for that money, toyota, honda, nissan etc, back in the day ( the type of day your budget will allow) they were amongst the best.

Apologies to any members this offends, but please NOTE, I didn't mention Vauxhall :rolleyes:

Fix it as all these problems have come from the previous owners not servicing properly so once you have repaired it you will have a good car for years, the minor problems do a bit at a time, start with the rear window heater as u need clear windows, ac ain't a major thing as you can always open the windows in the summer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-1998-2004-MK1-1-4-1-6-16V-TIMING-CAM-BELT-KIT-TENSIONER-WATER-PUMP-/280077158832?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4135e649b0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-1-4-1-6-16V-Alternator-Drive-Fan-Belt-1998-02-AIR-CON-/330855801562?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d088ae2da

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-1-4-1-6-1-8-1998-2004-FRONT-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-SWAY-STABILISER-DROP-LINKS-/150943567734?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2324f00f76

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK1-1-4-1-6-1-8-2-0-REAR-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-DROP-LINKS-ANTI-D-BUSHES-X-2-/121027975216?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c2dd45830

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-1-4-1-6-1-8-2-0-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-NEW-1998-2005-NEW-/150933478353?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2324561bd1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-POWER-STEERING-RACK-1-4-16v-1998-TO-2005-RECONDITIONED-/200787245742?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebfda3aae

their is a list of all the major mechanicals you mentioned, i personally would try and save it (but try and use a recommended independent garage instead of ford as it will save you a fortune)

it all comes in at just under £220 too which isn't bad at-all i dont think :rolleyes:

Awesome, thanks! Found the ACS rack yesterday, great price, that PAS pump price saves me a few quid though! I was a bit cautious about them super cheap timing kit and water pumps, espeically as they are a major enginet component! so my pricing list has gates belt and seperate WP. But will reconsider if budget keeps going up.

Ok so, going to go ahead with the fix. Been out and got a torque wrench and good axles stands today. Just need to wait in the parts and get started. I will keep the thread updates with progress... And no doubt help questions! :)

good to see youre going ahead with the fix. a haynes manual and a good set of tools should be all you need. :)

I'll probably get banned from the site for saying this on here, but Japanese stuff would prob be your best bet for that money, toyota, honda, nissan etc, back in the day ( the type of day your budget will allow) they were amongst the best.

Apologies to any members this offends, but please NOTE, I didn't mention Vauxhall :rolleyes:

You still swore ;) should have said you didnt use the V Word... it would have been more appropriate ;) :P

as for the car, sometimes its best to fix it up yourself, and as has been said, the decent service and few repairs is most likely the best value for money with what you have, a new car might take 90% of your budget, but may be in need of 40-50% of your budget to fix it further...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club