Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loss Of Power - Car Doesn't Cut Out - More Help Needed

shays47

This was our original topic :

We have a 2006 Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCi Climate Pack, which we bought less than a week ago. After picking it up from the garage we bought it from, we noticed that there would be a loss of power when driving, mainly in 1st or 2nd gear. It has happened when pulling from a junction in 1st, and also when going uphill in 2nd. When the loss of power happens, if you take it out of gear and then put it back in, it seems ok. Although today, my wife was driving and she had to pull over, and leave it in idle, for a minute or so. There are no warning lights, and the engine doesn't cut out. We took it back to the garage we bought it from, and they had a look(as it is under warranty), and hooked it up to the diagnostic machine. No codes came up, and the guy who did the test said that it was one of the best engines he had seen, as all the readings etc were near perfect. The only thing that fluctuated a very tiny amount, was something to do with the air flow(?), but he said it should clear itself in a week or so. The garage told us to take the car away, and see how it goes, and if it played up to bring it back(we picked it up yesterday morning(Tuesday)), and since then it has happened again 4 times. When driving along the dual carriageway it has been fine, and the acceleration has been fine aswell. It only seems to be in the lower gears(1st and 2nd). Does anybody has any idea what it could be?

UPDATE

We have now had the fuel filter replaced, and the garage have said that there was an 'o' ring in there that was perished, and they think it could've been causing the problem. The car has now started doing the same thing again. I have been told by a mechanic friend that it could be the EGR valve getting stuck, and to have it cleaned out. Is it better to get it cleaned or replaced? Also, would the Mass Air Flow Sensor or EGR valve show up on diagnostic computer, as no warning lights are coming on. Someone has mentioned driving with Air sensor unplugged, is this safe, and for how long?

Hi, I have had similar problems with my Climate petrol 1.6 which drives ok but is very sluggish especially when going up hill or trying to accelerate. I have had the engine light on the dash for sometime. It is a due a service shortly. Mine is a petrol engine but sounds like a diesel. I have been advised from the diagnostic that I have done that it is likely to be camshaft sensor in bank 1. I have also been advised that it could be the variators that are affecting the running of the car.

If/ when this gets sorted I think I will be driving a different car that sounds like a petrol car and accelerates well. Not sure if this is any help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club