Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Focus Oil Leaking From Gearbox

Fastfordman

My 2011 mk3 focus has started leaking a small amount of oil from the gearbox, it's only done 17k. I have had a look underneath the car it looks like its coming from the seal where the driveshaft comes out of the gearbox does this sound reasonable? Will be booking it in at the garage next weekend but I would like to know what I am telling them to look at.

Sounds like the driveshaft oil seal no it shouldnt be coming out of there ive heard them say its just weeping but it shouldnt be doing that make sure they investigate how it started usualy its a bad joint

Sounds like the driveshaft oil seal.

Usually they leak after being disturbed. I take it you are covered under warranty for this?

Should be no problem under warranty car is less than two years old and the local ford service manager is my neighbour so I get looked after anyway.

Car has been to garage today and all fixed now, it was the offside driveshaft oil seal that had failed, apparently this is a common fault on mk3 focuses. As an added bonus they even washed the car for me.

at 17k im sorry thats not a common fault if it is like that on all new focis then that means around every 17k youll need a new one thats pretty poor considering many cars ive owned have never needed that replaced even after 80k miles

I agree it's not great but the warranty is still for another 18 months and I've never kept a car for two years so shouldn't be a big issue. My neighbour is the local ford service manager and they have had quite a few in for it, mine is quite an early build car so may just be a

poor first batch. Definitely not something that should fail so soon though, so will keep a close eye on the oil seals in future.

Car has been to garage today and all fixed now, it was the offside driveshaft oil seal that had failed, apparently this is a common fault on mk3 focuses. As an added bonus they even washed the car for me.

With their gritty rags :O

With their gritty rags :O

There's no danger of that my neighbour would have the valeter fired!