Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Complete Power Loss At Random Times

ukscotth

Hi,

I bought an old ford focus a couple of days ago and everything seemed fine for about 50 miles but then I put my foot on the throttle and nothing happened, I pulled over and then it seemed fine again and I drove home.

I took the car out again today and after about 20 miles it did the same thing but this time it kept doing it and I had to be towed home by the RAC.

Any ideas what could be causing this or what to check ?

The cars a 1999 Ford Focus 1.8 petrol

Thanks in advance.

Did the rev counter and speedo drop to zero as it happened if so a vss also the mk1 has a hose that bends into the rear of the throttle this collapses rev the car and see if that collapses other than that it may be needing a new throttle body

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I didnt notice if the dials dropped. I have noticed that when i forst start the car the dials max out for a second or 2 and then return to normal. Is that normal ?

No thats a dash test so either its a lead acid battery in it and not silver calcium or the battery has a faulty cell or the dash clusters faulty any 3 will cause those issues start with checking what battery is fitted then do a dash test hold trip reset button in with engine off keep it held in and turn ignition on test will show press the button till batt comes up and note the numbers 12.5 or up is what it should be start the car it should go up to 14.4 if not the battery is faulty if all thats okay then its the vss vehicle speed sensor revs etc will drop to zero and car will cut out or the dash is faulty if that doesnt happen

I just went and did the test and it went through a sequence of checks but the word 'batt' never came up and there were no figures in the region of 12 - 15, any ideas ?

there will be numbers with a v at the end youll go passed engine speed it should say batt

Theres nothing with a v at the end, heres the list of things it displays :

gauge

bulb

r20

e002

none dtc

p103

p2ff

p4ff

f048

9-6d

6-39

c-d1

d-3f

Does any of that make much sense ?

Thanks.

Similar circumstances here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181683

Might be worth having a read through, most of the error codes you have there are shown on this thread. Could be a long read, but could be your light at the end of the tunnel...

Hi,

Thanks for the link but that case seems to have a lot of other symptons to mine, his is sounding rough, idling rough and leaking fluids etc. Mine runs and idles fine, there is no evidence of any leaks or damage by looking at the engine etc. And mine seems to be an intermittent fault, it only seems to happen when the cars warmed up.

Ive ordered a new coil pack, plugs and leads which im hoping are going to turn up today so il give them a try and see what happens, just hope I dont get stuck somewhere when im testing it :(

If you do end up stuck, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. My CMAX fluffed up yesterday, I did the same thing and it behaved itself...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club