Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 52 Plate Help Required Urgently

mike13

Hi everyone

I am replacing the front brake pads on my focus and when I tried to put the caliber pin back into the caliber carrier it is just turning and turning. It appears the thread on the caliber carrier which is attached to the suspension strut and hub is worn. I cannot re thread so will have to buy a new carrier. Unless anyone can suggest an alternative. My question is what is the carrier called and where will I get a cheap one from.

Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum,

As far as I know it's just called the brake caliper carrier

There are kits available for fitting an insert into the carrier but to be honest I would rather go to a breakers and get one or have a search on eBay. I suspect they are not cheap new

Steve do you know where you get the kits from?

I think the part I am after is called the knuckle and hub. But would be interested in the kit?

The knuckle is the large part which the shock, ball joint and track rod end are fitted to, with the driveshaft running through it into the hub. The carrier is bolted to the knuckle with hex head bolts, is it these that are just turning or is it the stainless pins which hold the caliper that are turning?

Stef123 The hex head bolts are just turning. I think I need re-thread the knuckle part with a helicoil kit but am not sure what size to purchase. I have looked the part up in the Hayes Manual and it is called the steering knuckle and hub.

Thanks

You would probably be best trying to get a complete knuckle from a breakers or eBay.

If you want to heli coil it you will need to measure the bolt diameter and thread pitch

Stef123 been to the breakers yard today and got myself a replacement steering knuckle and hub plus bolts for £35.00. Now the hard work begins trying to get the rusted bolts of the one on the car. You were spot on with the helicoil trying to find the diameter and thread for the piece was almost impossible.

Can I thank you for all your help over the last day.

Yes that's when the fun really starts, getting the ball joint out the knuckle can be tricky sometimes too.

Your more than welcome, if there is anything else you need help with, ask away on the forums.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club