Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering/suspension Problem Mk7 - Advice Please!

flassa99

hi everyone, need a quick bit of advice if possible please!

in early 2012 i buckled the front passenger side alloy on my 61 plate zetec s fezza, did it on a pothole, and had it replaced. shortly after that the car started pulling (think it was to the right, memory fuzzy on which direction) while driving, obviously i took the car back in and had that fixed and then off i went.

since then i've never been 100% convinced with the steering of the car, i've taken it back in a couple of times to Gates of Harlow (once for a service, the other time for this fault) and had them take a look but both times i've been told its absolutely perfect, can't find anything, its not pulling etc...

i had written it off as just me feeling/seeing things that aren't there and thought i'd just better get over it, until the other day my missus took the car out and then came back saying "did you notice your car is pulling a bit?" so now i'm wondering what to do!

whats happening is when i'm going straight on a straight, level, bit of road if i centre the steering wheel i pull very gently to the left. BUT this doesn't seem to be consistent, sometimes it feels the other way. I generally seem to drive most days holding the steering ever so slightly off to the left and its doing my head in!!!

any thoughts/advice guys please?

i've regularly checked tire pressures which all seem to be ok, no noticeable pulling under braking, tires all seem ok tread wise...

sub question: i'm no longer living in harlow so taking back to Gates there (while not impossible) would be a pain, am i within my rights to take it to my local Evans Halshaw garage? would that be better as its a fresh pair of eyes?

many thanks guys!

Have you had the tracking re-done and balancing? Take it to national auto tyres and have them check, they even have vouchers on their website. I had an incident similar but it was a pavement and Ford NEVER re-balanced or re-tracked the car after a bent steering rod. So i took it to these guys and they even told me how much it was out of wack. Even told me when i break my car tends to lean toward's the right. (Of course hardly noticeable even under hard breaking) But break pads may have worn differently.

had the tracking checked at a kwik fit last year after i got a slow puncture on a tyre and they re-did it for me, did seem to improve the car a bit but still felt as though i was working against the car, and the problem certainly hasnt improved since

• 3 weeks later...

so minor update to this (and then a new, sub-question/related question)

MK ford said there is nowt wrong with t'tracking or suspension but in fact its yet another busted alloy on the passenger side, so at least there is finally some explanation for dodgy feel from the car (dont know if a busted wheel would make that much difference but hey ho!)

not seeing the point £230 for one new alloy and fitting (why buy a 3rd wheel that will likely buckle like the previous 2) i'm looking at getting a whole new set (plus tyres, which tbf probably could do with replacing now) from R-Tec in St Albans for around £450/500 (seems better value to me)

has anyone used R-Tec? any good? I'm also looking at 17" wheels to replace my 16"s, i'm assuming that this would have no effect warranty wise? would the car be ok with them and not drive like a pile of...

many thanks guys

I'm in the same boat. 1 needs a refurb and 2 are buckled. I've already replaced 1 as it was so badly buckled. Thinking of replacing the entire set with none ford alloys. But then I'm sure the insurance company will gey all grumpy and want to add their slice on.

yeah i suspect my insurance will go up a bit, despite me not having claimed for anything in the 4 years i've been driving (despite a few things i could have claimed for!), but i'm just fed up with always having doubts about the car and wincing everytime i hit the slightest bump or crack in the road

i've done the same wheel twice in 16 months, thats not bad luck. thats crap alloy wheels.

anyway, off to R-Tec in St Albans now! will post pics when i get back (assuming i've got something nice and shiny to show!) :)

attached is a pic of new wheels :)

not sure what etiquete is on this forum, but i am selling the old alloys (with tyres) on gumtree, have a search for them if interested :)

post-28681-0-84521100-1364314149_thumb.j

• 7 years later...

hi i have a ford fiesta  mk7 it drives perfect  but ive notced latley very ridged uncomfortable  over speed bumps can any1 help