Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,744 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

I saw a UK seller of these, you can buy the brodit for about £30 and then the installation kit (priced on my CMAX) was about £15.

Not a bad investment for permenent and regular use, I just dont think I would use it enough to justify

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

right guys, a bit of an update. i have looking at lots of android tablets and the 7" tab does seem the better option but it wont fit into the dash compartment which is a pain in the butt.

the only way around this is to remove it everytime you leave the car. as the wires etc are hidden away its not an issue unless you forge to remove it and it gets nicked. 5" screens would probably fit but trying to find one that has GPS/Bluetooth/Wifi is probably gonna be hard to find as most tabs are 7-10" sizes.

i still need a cheap lid off ebay so keep your eyes peeled

#18 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Sal go for a cheap Chinese android phone , they don't need a sim card in to work , and have all the needed connections , and if your happy to loose a little of the screen then stick it in the pod , i have measured mine and it will take a 6" screen , although i only get depth of 1.5 inches , but thats all i want anyway for the Torque Pro app.

Then use a bluetooth elm327

#19 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Hi Paul,

got myself a dash lid/unit and already have the ELM BT kit too. I have seen that Phones 4 U sell cheap tabs online so need to pop into a shop to see what they are like, mind you my phone contract is up in a few months and free Samsung Galaxy Tabs are on offer so might get one of these. Gonna have to be patient as i have a few things on at present...

#20 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hi Sal i went and had a look at a Tab2 7" , great device , but to large , it's a pity they did not reduce the outside bevel edge as this adds over an inch to width and lengh.

O looked also at a load of Tablets in Maplins , and the cheap versions don't have bluetooth , although i see there is a Wifi Elm327 available

#21 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,826 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

How about this option for mounting a tablet?-

http://www.brodit.co...Focus&year=2007

#22 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

I would not recommend a cheap chinese branded tab if you intend to use the GPS feature for sat nav etc. although these tabs are very very functional... a little slower than top brands like samsung and google of course but they are very functional... they do lack GPS antenna power and you may find your self waiting a very very long time to get GPS lock, that will result in a waste of your time.

Truthfully this is what most chinese branded devices lack, the brute power, in GPS form... forget it, speaking from experience.

Go for something like a samsung or google tab these will not disappoint on GPS/3g/4g/bluetooth power.

If you do go for a chinese branded thing lol... then check this out... http://www.amazon.co...ords=star n9770

Copy of samsung galaxy note 2, i have one, used it as a cheap replacement phone for a while... it worked great, gps is power is poor but it will fit

As for power you can always hardwire it to the car

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users