Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Focus, Self Service?

watcher27

Hi Guys,

We have a 02 plate 1.8 TDCi Focus that is waaaaay overdue a service, but I just cannot afford to get this done at a garage.

Are these cars easy for the DIY mechanic? lol

I'm reasonably ok, and managed to service my old mini & change points/carb etc years ago.

Are Ford pretty reasonable on service items like the filters etc? And do you recommend a Haynes manual? Always helpful with the mini :-)

Thanks

John

By service you mean oil,filters right? There should be no need for a haynes manual for these, it wont take anymore than an hour an half, get it warm, drain the oil while that is draining change the filters, fill it back up and bobs your uncle, ford parts arent bad, but you can buy any brand of oil as long as its the right grade the book probably suggests ford or **** oil, and as for filters there will be no benefit to using ford filters, so you can save a bit more for yourself there, good luck.

By service you mean oil,filters right? There should be no need for a haynes manual for these, it wont take anymore than an hour an half, get it warm, drain the oil while that is draining change the filters, fill it back up and bobs your uncle, ford parts arent bad, but you can buy any brand of oil as long as its the right grade the book probably suggests ford or **** oil, and as for filters there will be no benefit to using ford filters, so you can save a bit more for yourself there, good luck.

Yeah, just oil & filters really. It had all new pads & disc 18 months ago & had a major service then, so it should be ok.

Any good guide's for changing the fuel filter & pollen filter? Or best leave those for the garage?

Cheers again :-)

The pollen filter is under the passenger side scuttle panel, by the wiper, its just getting to it and when replacing it just get it right or it will leak water in to the passenger side foot well and ruin the carpets, and fuel filter is easy as well, i think im right in saying that its near the bulkhead on the drivers side, if your feeling brave have a go at the lot if not just do the oil and air filters and leave the fuel filter for the next mot appointment most garage's would just do it after the test., unless they are a long way off.

Ignore my last message lol

Just checked the Mobil web site, entered my reg and thats the oil it came up with! Seems a good price?

I would recommend getting Castrol magnatec 5w-30, get the 4 litres plus two one litre topups, you should really only need about 4.5 litres as the engine capacity if 5.6 but youll never get it out completely unless you remove the sump.

I would recommend getting castrol magnatec 5w-30, get the 4 litres plus two one litre topups, you should really only need about 4.5 litres as the engine capacity if 5.6 but youll never get it out completely unless you remove the sump.

Ok will do!

Although I do have a Pela 6000 oil extractor pump that I use for servicing my smart fortwo (no sump drain plug, oil has to be sucked up through dip stick).

Could I use that on the focus to perhaps? Or even just to get the last bit out?

Ok will do!

Although I do have a Pela 6000 oil extractor pump that I use for servicing my smart fortwo (no sump drain plug, oil has to be sucked up through dip stick).

Could I use that on the focus to perhaps? Or even just to get the last bit out?

I wouldnt bother just knock the drain plug out and get a cup of tea its saturday after all :) not sure if its too late but i looked for some oil online the other day and the ford brand oil was cheapest of all for 6 litres, any brand will do though, in reality its all the same.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club