#1 jayson2323

jayson2323

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: Jason
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.6 Diesel
  • Year: 2009

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

I have a faulty GEM Module and have found some 2nd hand GEM modules from car breakers with 6 months warranty.  My only question is Ford tell me a GEM module has to be programmed and it may no be possible to program a 2nd hand one, can anyone give me some advice regarding this, am I not able to swap in a 2nd hand one?, will the keyfobs work, if any programming is needed can I do it myself?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 nazsky786

nazsky786

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Name: Naz
  • Ford Model: FOCUS MK2
  • Year: 2005

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

You can swap the module I did. To get the heated seats to work. You will have problem with central locking as once you swap it the central locking deactivated and needs to be activated. I did reactivate it myself using the elmconfiq program and the mod elm 327. Or ford reactivate it for £80 which is to much to just press a button. Once it's activated everything works. Make sure you know what fuse box you get a ford make diffrent ones for cars with and without feature. My focus is 2005 but is using a 2007 fuse box. Hope this helps.

#3 Col1nw3bb

Col1nw3bb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Colin
  • Ford Model: Focus style estate
  • Year: 2007

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

Nazsky786. Can you confirm that you installed a used fusebox in your car and all you needed was to tweek in elm? I need to change mine for same reason and ford say new unit will go straight in but a used unit wont work as it codes to car.

Obviously this sounds like ford bs. But i dont wanna waste £30 on a used unit if it wont work.

Thanks
Colin

#4 jayson2323

jayson2323

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

Nazsky786 thanks for the reply, still in an awkward position.  I am unable to find a used one with the same part number as mine any ideas?, Colin you say £30 for a used one, where from?, I have tried the car breakers but nothing with the same model number as mine.  Ford want to charge me £600 to put a new gem module which includes the parts, the labour and they say as I do not have a 2nd key I will need to buy one as they are unable to program the new gem module without a second key, I need help as that is a hell of a lot of money to fix the wiper issue, any help or advice is much appreicated  

#5 Col1nw3bb

Col1nw3bb

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

A local breakers mate. Whats ya part number? See from everything ive read the keys are stored in the dash cluster and tied to the pcm. Nothing pats related with the gem. If naz can confirm he used a used unit with no trip to dord or someone with ids access im gonna take the plunge.

#6 jayson2323

jayson2323

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

My part number is 7M5T14A073, is that the one you need?, or you need the ford ford part number 1712211. Please let me know if you can get one for mine from the breakers near you?, have you heard about having to have 2 keys to program the box?, also do you know if it is possible to get the gem repaired?

#7 Col1nw3bb

Col1nw3bb

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

No. The only thing ive read in the pats guide is when replacing the pcm you need two keys.
As for your part number the only important bits are 7m5t and the first of the two letters after the numbers. The first letter represents options the car is configured for eg cruise control. If you get a D as the first letter its good for everything except st and cc models.

So if you get 7M5T xxxxxx Dx where x can be any letter or number it should be good. You then just need a elm327 cable and some free software to write your cars spec to it.

If you got a brand new one from ford it would be a model number as above because although they made 100's of varients on the production line they only sell the D type enabled for all as a replacement.

As said above though i need confirmation that a second hand unit can be used by someone thats done it as im told by ford only a new virgin unit will work.

#8 hormonedmonkey

hormonedmonkey

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Name: Asa
  • Ford Model: 2006 Focus TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2006

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Where can you find the part number for this? Think I have the same problem. Thank you.

#9 nazsky786

nazsky786

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Name: Naz
  • Ford Model: FOCUS MK2
  • Year: 2005

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

I used a used one. It was from a higher model focus . I took it from that car and installed to my focus. Everything worked car started etc. However once you do change the gem you need to use the elmconfig to copy you setting and transfer to the other one as your central locking seems to disable itself for some reason. That's it really .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ford OC mobile app

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users