Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems With Egr Valve

SimonH29

Hi all

I have a 2007 (On a 06 plate tho) 2.2lt TDCi mondeo estate with a duratek engine,

I've owned the car for just over 2 years and am about to replace the EGR valve for the second time. I have been told that this is a common fault and these valves only seem to last 18 months to 2 years at a time.....

Its been code read and the only error is this valve and last time we changed it, the car ran like a dream until recently when it started refusing to start and then chucking huge clouds of smoke out when it eventually did or losing all power when driving, especially when pulling away. Had the valve cleaned out a number of times to keep it running for as long as possible as the new valve is not cheap but finally had enough and am having it changed again!!

Is there really a common fault with this year and EGR valves or could there be a problem else where in the engine causing this valve to brakedown and is there anything that can be done to stop it happening??

Thanks in advance

its rare for a valve unit to be replaced as a good clean is usually all they need, check the intercooler pipe below for any splits as this can effect the egr valve and produce black smoke, what code are you getting is it P0401 lack of air flow ?

Hello and welcome to the forum

You can fit an EGR blanking plate, it only costs about £5 so is much cheaper than an EGR valve and once fitted, you are unlikely to have any problems - apart from the EML coming on on euro 4 cars

, the not starting, clouds of smoke and lack of power (due to a faulty EGR valve ) will not happen again with a blanked EGR, and "limp home mode" is unlikely to be triggered

Although the EML may come on, (the ECU may notice the lack of flow) it should not cause other problems and the EML can be reset with an inexpensive code reader

Best with a sold (ones with holes in are a waste of time), stainless steel (mild steel can rust, aluninium can melt) blanking plate

I have heard of Ford owners having to replace their EGR valves 4 times in as many years, this is a weakness in these cars, the iroinic thing is they are not really nessesary on a diesel and probably do more harm than good, especially - long term

Needless to say a Diesel car with a blanked EGR still passes a UK MOT because only particllates are measured (may even help due to less smoke)

Hi

Thanks for the replies

its rare for a valve unit to be replaced as a good clean is usually all they need, check the intercooler pipe below for any splits as this can effect the egr valve and produce black smoke, what code are you getting is it P0401 lack of air flow ?

I'm not sure what the error code was but will ask the guy who did it. When He took the valve off he said it was stuck slightly open and was covered in a thick black shooty/tar but he said this was caused by it not working properly.

How does the braking plate work and does it effect performance?

I'm really a complete novice with engines.

Mintalkin may have a point - if the engine is producing exess smoke from the exhaust due to a split pipe

(the split pipe reduces the boost pressure/ air going into the engine, this can be the smoke from the exessive diesel being burnt )

this can cause a "knock-on-effect" on the EGR , as the carbon - rich exhaust gasses enter the inlet & EGR valve (EGR stands for "exhaust gas recirculation") this can cause the valve to get "gunged up" sooner than expected

It is worth checking the boost hoses for splits, as well as the EGR,

in my opinion, it is worth fitting an EGR blanking plate on a brand new EGR or brand new (diesel) engine, because this will prevent the EGR valve and inlet manifold from being contaminated with carbon/ gunge, and it will stay clean from this source of contamination

In the short term there is a small performance / economy advantage from fitting an EGR blanking plate (the burnt exhaust gasses are replaced with clean, cool air ), these exhaust gases were a small percentage of the overall fuel/ air going to the engine, so the difference may be subtle, it (blanking the EGR) is often percieved as "smoother running" "less hesitation" "less of a flat spot" - this is in the short term, in the long term the plate prevents the build- up of carbon/ gunge in the inlet so it boes not have to be cleansd out and does not choke/ restrict the engine

The other thing worth mentioning is a solid blanking plate will "fix" a faulty or leaking EGR valve - the EGR becomes effectively "disabled" / non functional, - + it can't fail/ break again (makes the car/ engine more reliable)

(its a mk3 Mondeo with a duratorque (Ford) 2.2 155ps? not a Mk 4 with a PSA engine)

Many thanks for the replies.

Disabling the EGR valve sounds like heaven after the money its cost me....

Where would I get one?

Thanks

If you find that you do need a new EGR valve, get one from Jaguar. Identical part, half the price.

I have a 2.0l Mondeo titanium estate-December 2006 reg and have had similar probs, but not as bad, as described above. How do I find if it is euro4 engine(what is a euro 4 engine? ). The car is high milage (125000 ) and runs better than my previous petrol Mondeo exept for smoke on hard acceleration. I am getting ready to do oil/filter change so am thinking of blanking the egr if I can. Will it be ok to do it or will it cause any problems?

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Have you a picture take the engine cover off front left as your looking is the egr if it has a plug attached its a euro 4 if not its a euro 3 .......The 3 is fine to blank no emllights the 4 may show an eml light but these can be reset with a£25 gadget off eBay

I have a 2.0l Mondeo titanium estate-December 2006 reg and have had similar probs, but not as bad, as described above. How do I find if it is euro4 engine(what is a euro 4 engine? ). The car is high milage (125000 ) and runs better than my previous petrol Mondeo exept for smoke on hard acceleration. I am getting ready to do oil/filter change so am thinking of blanking the egr if I can. Will it be ok to do it or will it cause any problems?

Hope someone can enlighten me.

my 2005 mondeo is a euro4. the euro 4 engine has two wired sensors on the egr valve, euro 3 only has one.

once you have run some forte diesel treatment through the system to give it a bit of a clean it might then be worth blanking off your egr. i have ordered one and will fit once i take the car for a decent run to blow and build up through since the egr was cleaned.

I have read in these posts about this "Forte "treatment,where can I get some and how much is it?.I have also read that the euro 4 needs a blank with a small hole but in other posts it is a plain blank with no hole. Which is correct?

One with the hole is of no use .......

• Like 1

I have read in these posts about this "Forte "treatment,where can I get some and how much is it?.I have also read that the euro 4 needs a blank with a small hole but in other posts it is a plain blank with no hole. Which is correct?

forte; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORTE-ADVANCED-FORMULA-DIESEL-FUEL-TREATMENT-EN590-ADDITIVE-NEW-400ml-/300867711832?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item460d1cf358

i have ordered the egr blanking plate with no hole in it. this will probably mean the eml will light as it thinks there is a fault, but i can live with that. i would get it turned off if i could get it done very cheap or for free but its not the end of the world.

this may come in handy... euro 3 mondeo engine, as corrected by FOCA. many thanks :D

mondeoenginedetail_zps5755de92.jpg

^^^Thats not a Euro 4 engine, its a Euro 3 ^^^

this may come in handy... euro 4 mondeo engine.

mondeoenginedetail_zps5755de92.jpg

This is a Euro 3 Mondeo TDCI with VNT, pnumatic turbo actuator and pnumatic, front mounted EGR

i bow to your superior knowledge, Sir B)

my brother sent me the pic so i didnt know the source, we used the pic to identify the egr location before we dived in to clean out the little bugger.

• 2 years later...

Hi! I have just changed to a 61 plate 2011 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi 200 PS PSA engine model. I previously fitted an EGR restriction plate to my former Mk3 2.2 and am thinking of doing the same on this newer car. Can anyone confirm if this is OK to do? Could I actually even fully blank off the EGR pipe?

Hi! I have just changed to a 61 plate 2011 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi 200 PS PSA engine model. I previously fitted an EGR restriction plate to my former Mk3 2.2 and am thinking of doing the same on this newer car. Can anyone confirm if this is OK to do? Could I actually even fully blank off the EGR pipe?

Yes you can :)

I bought my 2.2 Mondeo which already had the egr blanked. eml light is on but in all fairness I don't notice it now. Only problem is if another fault comes up you wont notice it because the eml is on.

But I just plug it in now and again to check if any new codes have been thrown up.

My mate blanked his Focus egr and he recons the difference is night and day performance wise and even every day running about, recons his mpg got better too. not by much. but did notice a difference.

I personally cant comment on the difference though, as I said I bought mine with the egr already blanked off. But I am really surprised at how well the 2.2 Mondeo goes. Don't doubt for a second that the blanking plate has helped the car.

• Like 2

Thanks to both Mark and Alan for their responses!! Would anyone know if total blanking plate is that much better for the engine performance than fitting a gas flow restriction plate? I would rather not have the eml come on permanently if it might mask a 'real' code alert.... but if the difference is noticeable then maybe... Removal of the entire EGR valve and fitting a sleeve might be a step too far for me.. what with all those loose plugs doing nothing!! Mind you my 186k 2.2 Mk3 still runs as smooth as silk and does better mpg [48 to 51] than the 2.2 PSA engine [38 to date] - the gearbox is more positive too!

My old 2.2 Mk3 ran a lot better both performance and economy once I had fitted the restriction plate, I also removed and cleaned the EGR valve once a year too, it needed it and I wonder why this is not part of the Ford maintenance requirement.

A garage told me that the 2.2 engines don't like town driving and prefer high speed ... both mine definitely prefer to run at speed; the Mk3 is easier/more tolerant of town driving than the 200PS Mk4.

Anyway next is to see if there a dfpf and what to do about that.... then if B6 Bilstein monoshocks improve the back end and remove the 'boaty' ride!!

There will be a DPF fitted