Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red Cog With Red Exclamation Mark......

Pirategirl

Thanks David, will do! :)

Get the car on a nice straight car park somewhere and red line it in first, you'll be surprised as to how much soot and gak you'll see come out.

Used to drive transit connect vans for work and did this on a regular basis, I could leave a soot line at least a hundred metres long every time.

I can imagine there would be loads coming out of mine, it wafts past the front of the car when I start it up!

Previous fault code 001... going to get another diagnostic hopefully early this week!

• 3 weeks later...

Car finally sorted!! Whoop!

You were all right in the end! Fourth garage took it in today, gave me a courtesy car free of charge, went back to collect this afternoon - GLOW PLUGS! Replaced all 4, £169.00 all in! :D :lol: ;)

Drives like a brand new car!

unbelievable

probably one of the simplest parts of the system to test, yet no-one thought of it cos ecu insisted it was glow plug module.....

would have taken less than 30 mins to test the plugs, a glaringly obvious test to make when module is being flagged....yet weeks later.....unbelievable

glad you finally got there, try not to lose faith in the garage trade, its just a matter of finding the right people....

• Like 1

I am sooo relieved! I know what you are saying about losing the faith, but rest assurred I know that there are some really good guys out there.

Your info has been invaluable and really appreciated! My car now sounds and feels like a Turbo Diesel Sport!!! :D

• Like 1

Glad you finally got this sorted hun

Knew it would turn out to be summin silly and simple to fix

Bet you could of done without all this worry and stress though

Least you had a good result in the end anyway

• Like 1

the 1st thing is ...............................................

have the glow plugs actually been tested/ changed?

Sometimes its the most basic, simple things, and the mechanics/ technicians/ engineers are too cought up with fault codes, technology etc to "see the wood for the trees"

Glad you got it sorted! :)

Glad you finally got this sorted hun

Knew it would turn out to be summin silly and simple to fix

Bet you could of done without all this worry and stress though

Least you had a good result in the end anyway

It was stressful, as I know nothing about cars so have to leave it to the experts. This is exactly why I came onto the forum to get some good, sound advice! Nice to know that you all knew what it was and that I could relay that to the garage.

Really pleased with Carwise in Duffield for being so super!!

;)

Sometimes its the most basic, simple things, and the mechanics/ technicians/ engineers are too cought up with fault codes, technology etc to "see the wood for the trees"

Glad you got it sorted! :)

Thanks for being a star! Really pleased with it now and really pleased that the figure paid was very close to the figure quoted by so many of you on here.

I shall be back with any other problems, or possible mods soon! ^_^

I had a little prang in it a couple of months ago. Will get a pic and try to post on here tomorrow and see what you think about the best way to get it sorted. It dismays me every time I look at it :unsure: If its not going to be loads to sort then I shall have it done for the summer!

just make sure you dont take it to fords then....they'll tell you 'not to worry, we'll throw a glow plug module on and it will look good as new'

;)

• Like 1

Lol, the second garage I went to who suggested that I take it to Ford told me to ask for Pid... when I asked why, he said his name was Stu.... Figures!! :P

• 1 year later...

Hi all I had the same issue with the red cog warning light illuminating on a 2006 1.8 tdci focus, the warning light used to come on/off all the time and whilst the light was on there was no turbo function and the car was very very lumpy on tickover.

Plugged the car to a diagnostics laptop and the car showed a egr and glowplug faults.

Cleaned the egr with wynns diesel egr 3 cleaner spray and changed all four glow plugs with ngk plugs the new plugs cost £43 ( euro car parts were showing Bosch plugs at £9 but had no stock )

Paid my mobile mechanic £70 to carry out the diagnostics and do both repairs.

No more warning light and the car drives as it should :0)

Hopefully this information helps others.

Cheers.

• 3 years later...

Hi all I've just bought a Ford Focus 1.8 Tdci 2006 model and was told that there was a fault so plugged it in no codes, so drove it for about 3 miles boosted as it should and drove nice, then today the red light with the cog come up, the glow plug light don't come on when you turn the ignition on took a little while to start this morning. But when that light is on there is no codes stored. Bought the car as spares or repairs for £50, and they said that the bloke they bought the car off had a changed the glow plugs after they took it back to him anyone know what it is thanks 

If that light is on then there will be a DTC stored somewhere, what are you using to read codes?

Sometimes only deep level code readers will pick up everything.

The light denotes a powertrain fault but will not be a specific failure, rather a general warning, definitely get it read professionally.

It's a software on my computer used it a few times, and normally brings the codes up, but hasn't this time the relay is working for glow plugs and fuses, car runs and starts fine and didn't go into limp mode eairlier 

I'm not sure of when it was last serviced air filter could have seen better days and oil is really black so maybe a service may help 

15 hours ago, Lammers360 said:

I'm not sure of when it was last serviced air filter could have seen better days and oil is really black so maybe a service may help 

Either way, it certainly won't hurt.  From your description it sounds like it's ready for it in any case.

I've plugged it in this morning borrowed a friends snap on machine and it's just come up with a load of sensor signals being too high or low, ik it's had a new alternator and bloke I borrowed it off said it could be old codes from when the alternator failed and was changed. 

Clear all codes and see if the red cog warning is just a legacy alert.

I've cleared the codes, but they all said the same thing about be voltage too high and voltage too low, that's why I'm thinking something to do with alternator, but it could do with a service as well, the women I bought it off said it would cut out some times but that's what she has said you never know tbh 

4 hours ago, Lammers360 said:

I've cleared the codes, but they all said the same thing about be voltage too high and voltage too low, that's why I'm thinking something to do with alternator, but it could do with a service as well, the women I bought it off said it would cut out some times but that's what she has said you never know tbh 

What sensor voltage is too high or low? What are the exact codes?

P0222 throttle b input low

po571 cruise brake circuit low , doesn't have cruise control

p2135 throttle an voltage

p0406 egr sensor circuit  high 

Well whatever it is I'm gonna fall out with the car in the minute, went to start it yesterday but immboliser was active, then went back to it 10 mins later started fine, went to start it this morning and same thing, then my dad tried again this afternoon same happened again then went to start it to take it for a drive to keep battery voltage up and it wouldn't start at all immboliser is active and won't turn off, fuses are all fine. Doesn't even turn over after the first try, but was told by old owner that there was some rewiring done near Ecu so gonna have a further inspection. Wiring looks very dodgy. Any one got any ideas and could some one send me a photo of there fuse box 

6 hours ago, Lammers360 said:

went to start it yesterday but immboliser was active, then went back to it 10 mins later started fine, went to start it this morning and same thing, then my dad tried again this afternoon same happened again then went to start it to take it for a drive to keep battery voltage up and it wouldn't start at all immboliser is active and won't turn off,

It could be the Instrument Cluster problem.

Absolute classic on 2006 Focus. I had it a year ago. I fixed it by re-soldering a couple of connections, but only after a huge amount of research, testing and work.

It causes all sorts of odd error codes, then immobilises it completely.

For a bit more info, see: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

If not that, is it the engine bay fuse box you want a photo of?