Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"taking Oval To Blue Horizon" Lenny's Build Thread 2010-2015

Lenny

I like this idea better than your previous one for the same reasons. Foolproof and you still retain the use of your bootspace when you need it. Also, shouldn't be too hard to implement. Nice :)

Thanks mate,

Looking forward to it,

Quick question for you mate,

I dowload and print the manual for the pioneer headunit,

It says about a special microphone Pioneer CD-MC20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311130518897?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

used to calibrate the equaliser settings in the sound system,

Did you hear anything about this before?

I plan to purchase one of those calibration microphones, i can loan you the calibration microphone after ive used it should hold calibration settings unless battery changed or disconnected.

Says you plug it in stereo then attach it to drivers head rest,

Turn amplifier knobs up full as the stereo will see full potential as the maximum parimeter on the equaliser band and self adjust settings accordingly after calibration alowing full control from the headunit.

Press button on stereo then youve got 10 seconds to get out,

Calibration process takes 10 minutes,

IMG_20141018_193808_zpsg2a1hmpr.jpg

IMG_20141018_185519_zps09umnmvg.jpg

IMG_20141018_185529_zpswl1ssria.jpg

That looks cool! I think it does something similar as what my AV receiver does i.e measure the distances of the Speakers from the mic, then calibrate them in order for the driver to hear them at their best. I just had a look at the pictures you put up and as I suspected, my headunit, which is the AVHx2500BT model doesn't support the calibration. It is a very nifty feature to have and I think Mr_Spock's headunit had something similar.

I myself personally like to fiddle with the knobs until I get a sound that feels good to my ears. I used these sound files to spend about 1hr tuning the sound in my car to my personal taste. It's a free torrent of files that were made for tuning sound systems. If there is any issues with me linking the files on this particular website, Mods, please let me know as from what I gather, this is under free license :)

http://thepiratebay.si/torrent/4570217/Ultimate_Test_CD

Might be handy to have this as well Lenny if you don't want to buy the Mic to eq your system. From my experience with my AV receiver when I used the mic to calibrate it, it was a good starting point and then i tweaked it to my taste. Might be the same for your car :)

• Like 2

Most IP's block access to that site due to it being on an illegal server.

It would be better if you could Dropbox the file.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up. I will upload it to my Dropbox account and post the link here so that everyone can have access to it. I found the files on it very helpful and they were all recorded at a high bitrate.

• Like 1

Thanks mate,

Looking forward to it,

Quick question for you mate,

I dowload and print the manual for the pioneer headunit,

It says about a special microphone Pioneer CD-MC20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311130518897?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

used to calibrate the equaliser settings in the sound system,

Did you hear anything about this before?

I plan to purchase one of those calibration microphones, i can loan you the calibration microphone after ive used it should hold calibration settings unless battery changed or disconnected.

Says you plug it in stereo then attach it to drivers head rest,

Turn amplifier knobs up full as the stereo will see full potential as the maximum parimeter on the equaliser band and self adjust settings accordingly after calibration alowing full control from the headunit.

Press button on stereo then youve got 10 seconds to get out,

Calibration process takes 10 minutes,

IMG_20141018_193808_zpsg2a1hmpr.jpg

IMG_20141018_185519_zps09umnmvg.jpg

IMG_20141018_185529_zpswl1ssria.jpg

There are similar things available for setting up recording studios and has "filtered down" to PA systems, venues, thearters etc i have some special software designed for recording studio control rooms/ nerfield monitors, it can even give a plot of the room charecteristricts, showing problems like standing waves etc - ive got an omnidirectional electrostatic mic that was designed for measurment that i use fior recording (no use to you as its not calibrated to your head unit and its a balanced xlr socket )

Looks like a simple dynamic mic probably omni-directional, (the eq will be calibrated/ compensated fo that mic) the reason it is put on the drivers headrest is so that the eq is adjusted for that position, it will compensate for "room" acoustics as well as the deficencies/ tonal balance of the Speakers - if you change anything like a speaker it would need to be re-done - it will set it for a "natural" balance which may not be to your listening taste but might give you a good starting point or improve sound if your settings are out a fair bit

the ones for home cinema may be for setting the correct rear speaker delay on surroound-sound systems, depending on your listening position - which is a different thing

• Like 2

That looks cool! I think it does something similar as what my AV receiver does i.e measure the distances of the speakers from the mic, then calibrate them in order for the driver to hear them at their best. I just had a look at the pictures you put up and as I suspected, my headunit, which is the AVHx2500BT model doesn't support the calibration. It is a very nifty feature to have and I think Mr_Spock's headunit had something similar.

I myself personally like to fiddle with the knobs until I get a sound that feels good to my ears. I used these sound files to spend about 1hr tuning the sound in my car to my personal taste. It's a free torrent of files that were made for tuning sound systems. If there is any issues with me linking the files on this particular website, Mods, please let me know as from what I gather, this is under free license :) **Link to be Updated**

Might be handy to have this as well Lenny if you don't want to buy the Mic to eq your system. From my experience with my AV receiver when I used the mic to calibrate it, it was a good starting point and then i tweaked it to my taste. Might be the same for your car :)

Ill definitely give the software you used a run on the system aswell mate, I've heard your system and it fantastic sound, base and everything is just right ill try all possible to recreate that in my own focus, last sub i had was a 15" fusion and always overpowered the rest of the car,

Air freshener used to blow to the windscreen from the rear view mirror, i never bothered to tune it and assumed at the time that's how they are,

But i saw and heard your system the bass is just right and tight,

People said before 10" subs are better than 12or15" at the time when i had my 15" i was thinking no way how could 10" speaker be better than a 15"

But it really is,

The smaller speaker is capable of tighter bursts of heavy base just where its needed in the song,

Unlike 15" where it cant keep up with short tight bursts, ends up sounding like distortion,

Heres me first car with install,

Had:

Fusion encounter 15" Sub

Fusion Reactor 6x9 custom raised to clear the sub enclosure,

Boxed 6.5" components,

Up front then were 4" fusion reactor 2-way,

All looking very boy racer and was just pure noise,

Learned from that definitely tuning this system like yours,

Picture00_edit_1413699453333_zpsmdegpegk

Picture00_edit_1413699597992_zpsjaieh2nt

Picture00_edit_1413699903509_zpsq9vaho8p

Thanks very much for inside ifo on this one mate,

We wouldn't know that how do you get info like that or is it through work you know this?

Thanks for the heads up. I will upload it to my Dropbox account and post the link here so that everyone can have access to it. I found the files on it very helpful and they were all recorded at a high bit rate.

Thanks mate,

Ill download it from drop box when you get it transferred,

Happy with that. :)

There are similar things available for setting up recording studios and has "filtered down" to PA systems, venues, theatre's etc. I have some special software designed for recording studio control rooms/ nerfield monitors, it can even give a plot of the room characteristics, showing problems like standing waves etc - I've got an omnidirectional electrostatic mic that was designed for measurement that i use for recording (no use to you as its not calibrated to your head unit and its a balanced xlr socket )

Looks like a simple dynamic mic probably omni-directional, (the eq will be calibrated/ compensated for that mic) the reason it is put on the drivers headrest is so that the eq is adjusted for that position, it will compensate for "room" acoustics as well as the deficiencies/ tonal balance of the speakers - if you change anything like a speaker it would need to be re-done - it will set it for a "natural" balance which may not be to your listening taste but might give you a good starting point or improve sound if your settings are out a fair bit

the ones for home cinema may be for setting the correct rear speaker delay on surround-sound systems, depending on your listening position - which is a different thing

Sounds good mate,

It did say after calibration the equaliser setting be be "flat" allowing further adjustment there after, ties in with what you were saying there,

I never heard of anything like this before, and surly didn't expect to have this type of technology in the price bracket of the chosen head unit.

Thanks for info mate,

• Like 1

Customised centre console

Considering starting to work at this after the sound system is complete june/july 2015.

Have an idea to remove the stereo surround and lower panel that houses the window heater switches,

IMAG2017_zpsbshleek_edit_1413707064992_z

Plan is to smooth over the hole for factory hazard lights switch,

IMG_20141019_093414_zpszkaycsj_edit_1413

Drill a new circular hole instead in the same location and flush fit a custom brushed aluminium button:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/en/billet-aluminium-switch-hazard

0023674_billet-aluminium-switch-hazard_z

Same then for the heated windscreen and rear window heater buttons,

Purchase another two blacks, fit them to panel creating four blanks then fill the lines,

Sand smooth,

Drill two holes for flush fit custom switches,

Front heated windscreen replaced with frost icon as its only used in ice:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/en/billet-aluminium-switch-hazard

Led are changeable to red matching interior,

0023616_billet-aluminium-switch-aircon_z

Rear demister button:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/en/billet-aluminium-rear-screen-demist-switch

0023633_billet-aluminium-rear-screen-dem

Perhaps get this one to work aswell,

Ill route an extra cable while doing the camera just encase:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/en/billet-aluminium-switch-boot-open

0023619_billet-aluminium-switch-boot-ope

When all is filled, sanded smooth and drilled for switches,

Id have the panels hydro dipped in carbon print for a seamless finish,

I reckon these brushed aluminium switches will tie in nicely with the already fitted custom climate controls, stock gear gator surround and stock 12v socket.

A/C button

&

Recirculation button

Will remain stock, but other three will be custom fitted, wiring will be simple cut off factory plug, crimp on female spades, then plug in to new button using Haynes manual for reference.

Overall i reckon 100-150 pounds would cover the project start to finish,

Purchase the panels from a mk2.5 in the breakers so progress wont take away from the regular operation of the car,

Will be July next year before i get to this one,

What you guys reckon?

• Like 3

Crazy but desperately keen to see the finished product! I reckon it'll look amazing.

• Like 1

The idea with the new switches is really cool. It will definitely give a more upmarket feel to the whole interior. More in line with the Titanium X models e.g Mondeo and the new Focus. I like it and can't wait to see the progress :)

• Like 2

Just an update: I uploaded that Test CD to my Dropbox account and here is the link for anyone looking to use it to calibrate their sound system. I reckon you could also use this for your AV system. It's a big wave file, very well encoded and I found it very helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jqhbrmtyv8eeysb/AAAJOrSMizdHKgHBwiVLSe9Fa?dl=0

• Like 2

For all of you who follow Lenny`s build threads

The magnetic metal trays he recently raved about are available in the UK lidl stores from next Monday the 27th

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=409

Thats excellent thanks very much for that information Paul,

They are well worth every penny indeed,

Your welcome Lenny

Quiet on my night shift and i`ve just knicked 3 custard creams from the control room to go with my cuppa .Always have a look at Lidl to see if they have any biking gear on offer or car stuff.

Ps hurry up and trade up to mk3 focus then i can nick all your ideas.

Edited by Swiftfocus69
  • Like 1

Your welcome Lenny

Quiet on my night shift and i`ve just knicked 3 custard creams from the control room to go with my cuppa .Always have a look at Lidl to see if they have any biking gear on offer or car stuff.

Ps hurry up and trade up to mk3 focus then i can nick all your ideas.

:lol: never selling this mk2.5 mate, and cant afford to upgrade third baby due 14th November.

Custard creams id have taken the whole pack, tea 3 sugars,

Coffees not my cup of tea :lol:

• Like 4

Bleugh...don't like custard creams!! Bourbons on the other hand :D

Must admit, Aldi & Lidl do have some random stuff come in - most of it is decent enough for general domestic use

• Like 1

This

Mars-Topic-Bar_zpsmd0rsm47.jpg

Has gone on a bit of a

7190MPhdhBL._SL1500__zps0z45ysr7.jpg

Take

Bar_Time_Out_zpssfbhnv49.jpg

To

bahlsenpickupchocolate_zps6mwqfofc.jpeg

New

Mars-Topic-Bar_zpsgesp5hhx.jpg

On the forum :)

Must admit, Aldi & Lidl do have some random stuff come in - most of it is decent enough for general domestic use

Cant go wrong with the price,

And a magnetic tray is what it is really,

Those fake dremil tool bits are pretty good aswell.

Multi position ladder/scaffold purchased 8yrs ago still going great.

The mini ovens they sell on ocassion look economical but ive gone through two of them,

Tripped out the circut board for the whole house pure scutter :rolleyes:

Magnetic tray is useless... all the plastic screws keep falling out... :angry:

• Like 3

Put a dab of super glue on them first :D
  • Like 3

WTF.???

I thought we where coming up to Halloween and Bonfire night not April fools day .

• Like 1

WTF.???

I thought we where coming up to Halloween and Bonfire night not April fools day .

He must be dressing as Mr. Bean this Haloween and is trying to fit in to charecter

So glad you finally have seen the light lenny, you contemplated selling your motor before so I hope you are going to remain sane.

• Like 2

So glad you finally have seen the light lenny, you contemplated selling your motor before so I hope you are going to remain sane.

Really?

Since when was Lenny sane?

:p

• Like 1

Really?

Since when was Lenny sane?

:p

+1

As much as I dislike the amount of time yogi bear spends on the car as it interferes with cuddly wuddly time pmsl, I've put it in his will that he's getting buried in that car!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club