Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"taking Oval To Blue Horizon" Lenny's Build Thread 2010-2015

Lenny

Update:

Initially purchased a Gold plated 3.5mm phono AUX port input cable from China to replace the stock AUX input port socket fitted in the glovebox,

However i later discovered that the particular model of headunit i plan to fit has RCA inputs for AUX on rear and not 3.5mm input socket,

I have since purchased a 3.5mm AUX input port to RCA cable and its on the way from China to replace 12v socket in the centre console,

The initial purchase arrived today however its no use to me, as i now know of different configuration,

If anyone is interested let me know,

IMG_20141030_180817_zpsgpyf9ptz.jpg

IMG_20141030_180827_zpsdmv1798l.jpg

IMG_20141030_180833_zpsi8grx88x.jpg

• Like 1

Lenny or Hassen, have you got a link to the sound deadening you used?

• Like 1

Lenny or Hassen, have you got a link to the sound deadening you used?

Here's link cheapest supplier perhaps purchase two packs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B24JM34/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=silent%20coat&qid=1412280015&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

With free shipping as well, which is pretty good as that pack is mighty heavy. 1 pack should do the whole front 2 doors easily and some of the boot if you use it carefully.

• Like 2

Is it just me who is getting an awful layout on that page????

Might be because I'm not on a mobile device :/ idk... it's weird..

• Like 1

Update:

Decided to have a try at fitting the stereo cage and surround in preparation for installing the headunit,

I'm now glad i went at it prior to having the headunit to hand because it took some figuring out and very little information online for fitting a double din aftermarket stereo to a mk2.5 focus,

Yes there's videos for the mk2 as you can view here:

but the surprisingly the process is very different in the mk2.5 which I'm very surprised to see since the raw skeleton of the dash is exactly the same from 2005-2011

Anyways here's my findings and my progress,

First to recap on previous posts this is the fitting kit I'm using complete with patch lead:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ford-focus-2006-double-din-car-stereo-fitting-kit-fascia-steering-control.html?search=focus%20double%20din

When purchasing this kit; select the corresponding patch lead to match your brand of aftermarket stereo in my case i required a pioneer patch lead as saw here:

IMG_20141016_170652_zpsqcgcwgms.jpg

The silver dash plate supplied in this kit is not identical to a standard Mk2 dash panel,

Although it looks similar in picture its got the exact double din aftermarket sized cut out square in the centre for a seamless finish no additional frame,

IMG_20141016_170533_zpsuj7n4dg_edit_1413

Resulting in no double lines in the dash as there would be if using a Mk2 panel and a double din space filling bracket.

Example of this in images below see double lines result of using a stock Mk2 or mk2.5 dash panel with aftermarket insert:

dscn0765wi0_zpsfqixg6si.jpg

post-39676-0-72461700-1344254375_zpsgmxc

By purchasing the kit linked above; the end result will be more seamless than the above images.

Now to get started:

Remove stock face plate and unscrew the 4 Philips head M6 screws holding the headunit in place.

IMG_20140928_140448_zpsrxcaqsqk.jpg

IMG_20140928_142833_zpsohi3k8v_edit_1414

Lift out headunit and unplug the aerial aswell as the ISO cable.

IMG_20140928_142641_zpsbgq8lalx.jpg

If you have factory fitted bluetooth you can remove the glovebox to access the module, they sell for around 80GBP on eBay ;)

Helps recuperate the money spent on the bare essentials for aftermarket install.

IMG_20140928_141602_zpssbg6pjhv.jpg

IMG_20140928_143036_zpsivkxtd0z.jpg

IMG_20140928_143112_zpskvndmsr1.jpg

The bluetooth module loom cant be removed its part of the main loom when factory fitted, however if your a member whom loves all the stock extras, your going to need to purchase the bluetooth loom if seeking to fit it yourself, ford didn't fit to all models,

The stock microphone also sells on eBay for 15GBP

Remove interior light surround spread clips and lift it out:

_35_zpskh9ujr9e.jpg

_35-1_zpsseilwuou.jpg

If you had factory fitted Bluetooth then you have voice control button on the steering stalk:

_35_zpsxsdsrwqj.jpg

They sell for 15-20GBP on eBay and you can pick up one without the voice button for 1-10GBP won't ever need the voice button again no point carrying it.

Picked this one up on eBay auction for 2 GBP Win/Win

IMG_20141016_170201_zpsqmz1zfp_edit_1413

Now that's all the stock components removed and discussed

Back to aftermarket fitting:

With stereo removed i plugged in the ISO conversion loom aerial adaptor and steering stalk patch lead that came supplied with the kit:

IMG_20141016_170605_zpsjctzz61u.jpg

IMG_20141016_170623_zpsfaoi1za_edit_1414

The iso conversion loom that comes with the kit is fantastic, each cable has been labeled to say what exactly it does, ideal for splicing cables.

Now for the replacement dash panel fitting,

Removed the two black side strips that the stock headunit screwed in to,

They pull out

IMG_20141101_170504_zpsgsqnftfy.jpg

Remove white clip aswell

IMG_20141101_170525_zpsqwjolhnl.jpg

Supplied with the kit is: two M6 bolts four washers and two serrated nuts,

Fitted the bolts with attached washer facing toward the rear of the car,

IMG_20141101_171744_zpsgbwltnws.jpg

IMG_20141101_171735_zps2rni47gd.jpg

Next part is to fit the fascia plate with bolts going through fascia plate tightening the dash surround to the main skeleton of the dash.

I had to stop at this point as i dropped a bolt down in the centre console,

Ill get it retrieved and edit this post to continue progress,

Once the fascia plate has been bolted tight,

The double din aftermarket sized stereo cage needs to be fitted,

Here's whats in the box but no instructions :lol: i was completely like WTF!!

This part is universal not model specific although it comes with the kit,

IMG_20141016_170720_zpsttuevgwx.jpg

IMG_20141016_170809_zpsto3okftz.jpg

The best video I've found that explains the building of the double din cage is below where a guy is fitting an aftermarket double din headunit to his Audi A4 most of the video is irrelevant to for but the building of the cage is 100%

See video:

Minutes 03:50 - 05:15 explains the double din aftermarket cage perfectly.

In our case basically the replacement fasica is thicker around the stereo opening compared to the stock fasica,

When bolted to the dash it creates a solid structure for the cage to be mounted on to.

The two silver plates supplied with a series of holes; mount to the headunit itself along with the copper sections,

As saw in the video above,

A great help to have found that video and know exactly where it goes together,

Theres two sponge sections supplied aswell i know they are to cushion the headunit to prevent skipping on CD's

Ill update this with more pictures later when the bolts have been retrieved and the double din cage has been fitted.

• Like 1

Update:

No escaping the "Random Cat"

IMG_20141102_161518_zpsklbqmes_edit_1414

Brother in law was visiting today so i provided him with magnetic rod and a Torx screwdriver,

He kindly removed the side panels from the centre console and retrieved the dropped bolts,

So i got them fitted correctly the second time around,

Tightened them down securely ensuring dash fascia was tight no movement :

IMG_20141102_161531_zpss2h2e2cp.jpg

Next up for fitting was these anti vibration pads,

Designed to cushion the cage,

The light brown side peels off revealing a sticky surface for mounting,

IMG_20141102_161811_zpshusysee3.jpg

The only place i could see them come in to use is on the sides,

So stuck one on each side between the cage and dash.

IMG_20141102_161531_zpss2h2e2cp.jpg

IMG_20141102_162002_zpszav1agvr.jpg

IMG_20141102_161956_zpse8yspdya.jpg

Next it was time to slide in the cage, had to press on the sponge slightly on either side while pushing the cage in to place,

This was a pain at the time but worth it forever more as with the sponge tight between cage and dash the headunit is less subject to vibrations causing CD skip/jump.

Cage now slid all the way in:

IMG_20141102_162431_zpsngq58xb5.jpg

IMG_20141102_162400_zps1qzzyfgf.jpg

IMG_20141102_162404_zpsnqsteg80.jpg

Surprised to see plenty of space left behind the cage for stereo cables etc.

Generally the space is very limited,

Tightest I've saw is the Renault kuga also known as a Nissan Kubistar extremely limited space at the rear for single din ISO anyways back on topic :rolleyes:

With the cage fully home,

I obtained a flat head screwdriver and pressed out the fins around the lip; gripping the cage to the panel:

IMG_20141102_162907_zpsrguovzds.jpg

IMG_20141102_162903_zpsklwwktrs.jpg

IMG_20141102_162919_zpszjnbssew.jpg

ISO cable fitted,

Aerial adaptor fitted,

Panel bolted,

Cage fitted,

All looks flush and factory ready for double din aftermarket headunit :)

IMG_20141102_164059_zps3wufemdw.jpg

IMG_20141102_170000_zps5lpd7shj.jpg

IMG_20141102_163200_zpszdvlutq9.jpg

• Like 4

Did you purposely choose a shallow cage or was the one that came with the radio?

I know that many standard cages are too deep for the Focus dash.

• Like 1

lol at the random cat! :)

Im tellin the truth yo, thats exactly what he said

Never pet or feed a neighbors cat, been stalking me since june,

Did you purposely choose a shallow cage or was the one that came with the radio?

I know that many standard cages are too deep for the Focus dash.

I've not purchased the stereo yet mate, that cage came with the double din fitting kit for focus,

Purchased from dynamic sounds,

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ford-focus-2006-double-din-car-stereo-fitting-kit-fascia-steering-control.html?search=focus%20double%20din

Also came with copper clips and screws to attach to stereo so ill update in three weeks time when installing the headunit :)

• Like 1

This was really informative Lenny as usual. Nice walkthrough with pictures.

In my headunit install, I got a guy from Autotronics to fit the headunit and do all the wiring. I knew it was going to be tedious and sometimes, I don't have the patience or the time. So, he did all the work and I watched. At the time, I should have taken pictures as they would have come in handy to others doing the install. Looking forward to the rest of the process. End results looks very good and having the basics well done will ensure that the aftermarket headunit looks the business :)

• Like 1

This was really informative Lenny as usual. Nice walkthrough with pictures.

In my headunit install, I got a guy from Autotronics to fit the headunit and do all the wiring. I knew it was going to be tedious and sometimes, I don't have the patience or the time. So, he did all the work and I watched. At the time, I should have taken pictures as they would have come in handy to others doing the install. Looking forward to the rest of the process. End results looks very good and having the basics well done will ensure that the aftermarket headunit looks the business :)

Thanks mate,

I find all this stuff therapeutic :lol: i owe a huge thanks to my local automotive electrician i could easily name but I wont.

his actions spurred me on to create over 30 DIY guides on the forums to date,

See list here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68214-full-list-lennys-guides/

After charging me 500 euro labour to fit an alarm system with model specific schematic that i had already purchased and supplied to him along with the alarm for fitting,

Had he not charged me 500 euro to fit the kit i supplied complete with guide explaining splice green to red etc..

Complete no brainer,

Id probably be still going to him for various jobs,

And never created any Guides so i owe a big thanks :)

• Like 2

I have said it time and time again, you're a legend :)

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in a mk2.5 stock headunit fitting brackets with screws can have them for the price of shipping,

IMG_20141102_172126_zpsvru0wkb_edit_1414

• Like 1

Il take the screws no need for brackets tho!!!! As for the legend status ... Mohammed Ali, Roy Keane there legends! Woody is a bloke that has time, money & balls to pull apart a 4yr old car to modify it to proper standards as it should be on factory floor to prove it can be done!

• Like 3

I have said it time and time again, you're a legend :)

Nah i cant have that title Ias im not finished yet,

In my opinion the guy that charged me 500 euro labour to take my car for two days and install an alarm that i had provided him with,

He's a true almighty legend! :)

I am a but only a meere Decipil of his botch job craft work and money grabbing efforts,

In my once leaders eyes i will forever remain; an Archangel in the world of automotive electronics because i preach the sac religious words of "DIY" and "how to"

Now encountering chapter 29 of my Bible entitled "installing aftermarket headunit to mk2.5 focus"

I will continue to provide you all with free independent how to guides,

While casting out two fingers held high and spread wide to the nymphomaniac commonly known as "The Automotive electrician"

Stay Tuned!! Or atleast Tastefully Modified :)

Here's a link to my full list of Guides: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68214-full-list-lennys-guides/

• Like 4

Sssshhh sean ...Lenny doesnt know the meaning ... Ain't you an electrician tho Sean?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club