Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"taking Oval To Blue Horizon" Lenny's Build Thread 2010-2015

Lenny

Oh dear Lenny if this is true I suggest you start earning your street cred back and return scooter for his refund. I have to admit, I would rather listen to a single gear scooter all day, any day of the week, over that interesting attempt at music he otherwise makes...

J'adore Hardcore :)

• Like 1

With the many things going on in my mind and around me in the past few weeks,

It has only just occurred to me that by fitting a 4 channel amplifier it feeds all Speakers in the car from the amp in the boot compartment,

Fitting a vibe FastPlug to both amps and mounting them on a removable carpet panel at the rear of the back seat will mean if i had to fold down the seats both amps can be unplugged but

It has just occurred to me that this action will remove all sound from the car as nothing is connected to the headunits internal 50W x4 amp,

To overcome this issue in the event of removing the amps,

I will run two audio feeds to both front Speakers,

The existing feed from stereo,

And the new feed from the 4 channel amp in the boot compartment

Understandably if both feeds remained connected the amp in the boot would damage the stereo by sending more power to its internal 50W x 4 amp.

I plan to fit male-female spade connectors terminated above the passenger footwell fuse box breaking the line

Terminating the feeds from headunit to front Speakers,

This will allow the amp in the boot compartment power the speakers,

Then in the event of the amps being removed temporarily i can connect the spade connectors which will allow the front speakers be powered by the head units internal amp while the 4ch amp is absent from the car,

win/win

Good catch there Lenny. I never thought of that for my setup but I didn't plan to remove the amps. That will be an easy way for you to still have the music through the Speakers if the amps are not connected. A little bit more work but worth the effort :)

• Like 1

Hi Lenny,

An interesting read of your mods, well done.

I am interested in your statement: "Fitted 12V socket in boot, the loom is already there in all spec focus 05-11 just require the 12v socket and an earth feed."

I have an 08 and looking to do the same. Could you advise what and how please? Extra fuses or trailing cables willy-nilly required? (I ask because your photo pointing at an orange block connector is a little bit confusing to me)

EDIT: oops. Just noticed this thread is now 39 pages long!! Hope you still see this post and its relevant.

• Like 1

I am interested in your statement: "Fitted 12V socket in boot, the loom is already there in all spec focus 05-11 just require the 12v socket and an earth feed."

I have an 08 and looking to do the same. Could you advise what and how please? Extra fuses or trailing cables willy-nilly required? (I ask because your photo pointing at an orange block connector is a little bit confusing to me)

Have you seen the full guide created by Lenny? Should have everything you need there - link below...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29774-guide-additional-12v-power-socket-in-boot-focus-mk25/

If you go to his profile page you'll get a whole list of the detailed guides he's created along the way of doing each/most of the mods that you see in this build thread - link below...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/user/14733-lenny/

• Like 1

Thanks Gary. No I didnt see that. I will look now. Cheers again.

• Like 1

Have you seen the full guide created by Lenny? Should have everything you need there - link below...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29774-guide-additional-12v-power-socket-in-boot-focus-mk25/

If you go to his profile page you'll get a whole list of the detailed guides he's created along the way of doing each/most of the mods that you see in this build thread - link below...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/user/14733-lenny/

Thanks Gary. No I didnt see that. I will look now. Cheers again.

+1 thanks Gary mate,

My build thread is still going strong,

Future mods are front & rear st bumpers,

But working on compiling a sound system with reverse camera and sound deadening across the next six months,

The 12V socket is a cheap easy modification well worth it,

Another easy modification is additional boot light,

Ill be selling one of those soon as the custom sub enclosure will block its space

Im interested on the 2nd boot light too. (Why did Ford make the lighting in the rear of the car so crap??)

• Like 1

It's not just Ford...don't think I've come across a car with adequate boot lighting yet!!

Couple of sticky backed LED panels really does improve things - it's almost like daylight!!

• Like 1

Im interested on the 2nd boot light too. (Why did Ford make the lighting in the rear of the car so crap??)

Easy to upgrade the bulb to an led festoon type,

Then just purchase and additional boot light unit from any ford since 1995 the design of the boot light unit never changed,

Then some cable to run across the boot,

Or i can provide you with mine ready to fit with full loom as saw in guide for 15 pounds including tracked mail

If interested i can remove it tomorrow evening and despatch Saturday morning,

Or you may like to do it all yourself,

The parts are listed in the guide either way.

Cheers guys

I have read the guide and yes it is a simple operation (as does the additional Aux power sicket Lenny has also guided on). It seems the hardest thing is sourcing the bits (pads and fabric tape, spade ends and cable etc).

Lenny: thanks for your offer but Im not in England and by the time the postage is paid for to get to me, and this poxy country's postal workers have creamed off the valuable bits for their own possession (and I get them replaced), it will cost me a fortune. I might take a wander to the scrappy and see what I can pry out of the boot with a screw driver! :-) (Do you think the fabric tape is essential)?

Couple of sticky backed LED panels really does improve things - it's almost like daylight!!

Sticky backed LED panels? Im not sure what you mean. Got a link/picture?

I have seen in (typically Chinese) shops around here you can get these LED strips for 'tarting' up ones car although I dont think they are 12vdc powered. If I could find a couple that are, even just 12 inches long, they might be a benefit in the illumination stakes (and I suspect the easiest fitting method - unroll, peel off backing, stick to underside of grey panel, instead of cutting holes out). (Could it be these what you mean Sean?)

• Like 1

Lenny: thanks for your offer but Im not in England and by the time the postage is paid for to get to me, and this poxy country's postal workers have creamed off the valuable bits for their own possession (and I get them replaced), it will cost me a fortune. I might take a wander to the scrappy and see what I can pry out of the boot with a screw driver! :-) (Do you think the fabric tape is essential)?

No prob mate,

Fabric tape isint really essential mate, im not in England neither i was allowing 8 pounds shipping in that price.

I assumed when your profile said Derbyshire you were in the uk,

Scrap yard should have one,

More loom you can get the better for yourself.

Jim, these are the sort of things:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231355742125&alt=web

Easy to install out of sight. Also pretty easy to splice 2 together and wire into the same plug. They don't draw tremendous amounts of power, and I've had no problems with my setup

• Like 1

Cheers sean. My only doubt is about the wattage. I know these things say they are rated at 12vdc but as you know the supply is often more like 13.5. And if you google you will find supplier 'experts' explaining that these higher voltages certainly shorten the life of the units. How long have you had yours or have you had any problems, or did you simply just plug directly in without any other for of voltage regulation or long term problems?

I havent actually entered the bulb domain of the light yet, what type of bulb fitting is it I should be looking for?

(is the link you posted exactly like the ones you bought or did you get a different/larger form factor?)

• Like 1

I did it last year some time - bought a load of the panel lights. Got them in my footwells too. Of all the individual LEDS, I've got one that flickers slightly when on.

All I did in the boot was rig up 2 panels to one bulb adaptor (pictured in the link) and plugged it in. One each side of the boot joined by some wire run behind the plastic trim panels on the boot lip. All done with heatshrink tubing and electrical tape.

I think I paid about a quid a panel from Hong Kong

• Like 1

Could almost start a new thread on led's as this has absolutely nothing to do with my build thread guys

• Like 1

Yeah sorry for that Lenny, its easy to get sidetracked and diverse during conversation.

• Like 1

Yeah sorry for that Lenny, its easy to get sidetracked and diverse during conversation.

No comment :lol: best response to end it i think :lol:

• Like 1

Update:

Ok this one was a bit of an impulse purchase, i sold a few items on eBay and had this item in the watch list to purchase,

Without checking the contents of the already purchased vibe amplifier installation kits i went and purchased 10m roll of vibe flatflex from uk it arrived today,

IMG_20141010_153122_zpsj0lqsru_edit_1412

Pure cringe as it arrived today thinking ugh should have done a little more research prior to purchasing that one lol

You see each vibe amp wiring kit comes supplied with 5 meters of this vibe flat flex cable,

So I've now got 25 meters of the stuff :rolleyes: suppose i can always sell the excess on-wards after installation is complete,

I've gotta run a feed of twin core flatflex from the boot compartment to each speaker in all four doors should definitely pass a day or two in the spring.

Still awaiting on the reverse camera to arrive, seller was supposed to be in Glasgow but the item is shipping from China,

As soon as it arrives i can begin installing it to the boot handle.

I've some research to do this weekend regarding the camera:

I'm hoping to have the cameras power feed connected to the reverse light positive aswell as its sensor feed,

Because i don't want to supply permanent power to the camera due to it being cheap China equipment i only want it to receive power when reversing is active,

I need to know if it will work if wired in this way or does it need constant supply of power.

In other news,

I've won a steering stalk control on eBay yesterday for 1 pound :)

Doesn't have the voice button on top which is exactly what i want,

Then 5 pound postage to my parcel motel address in northern Ireland,

Overall should be less than 10 pounds delivered to my local collection point,

Very pleased with that,

Managed to obtain a picture of the back of the stereo on google Images,

To see what it needs as i plan to only fit it once,

307_1_zpszpnfbqfn.jpg

Ill fit the RCA's and camera inputs when fitting the stereo store them in glovebox area until im ready to strip out the car and route them to the boot compartment,

That's me more/less done then until late January ill continue to chip away at the shopping list,

Its all down hill after purchasing the head unit.

All other items are cheaper.

• Like 1

Aux port discussion,

Mainly putting this information out there for those whom may be interested in following,

Ok since ill be going aftermarket stereo,

The stock Aux port socket fitted in the glovebox will become useless,

I like to keep everything as OEM as possible, so I've found this 3.5mm Socket which will replace the original ford designed unit while performing with the aftermarket unit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360499626620?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now since the aftermarket headunit has USB function i need to fit a USB port somewhere in the car,

I've decided to remove the stock 12v socket inside the centre arm rest and replace it with this USB/3.5mm jack AUX port straight swap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121451300257?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Since the headunit only has one 3.5mm AUX socket input on the rear a 3.5mm Y splitter is required to allow both sockets become active:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330773500996?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

However only one can be used at any time,

Overall it retains the OEM feature aswell as the option of USB connection inside the center console,

• Like 1

Could almost start a new thread on led's as this has absolutely nothing to do with my build thread guys

Sorry Lenny :(

:p

Not going for the USB port on the heated screen panel?

Think it was Stoney who talked about it?

• Like 1

Lenny, if you fancy 'disposing' of your aux port out of the armrest console (what with your straight swap to a USB port an' all), I am still looking at installing one in my boot. ;) :D

Bagsies if its going. :P

• Like 1

Sorry Lenny :(

:p

Not going for the USB port on the heated screen panel?

No prob,

I got out of wrong side of the bed this morning and work are really doing my head in over my chronic back condition i apologize for venting off a bit at you guys.

Glad its friday get two days to relax and clear my head a bit.

]KGrHqZHJ4E-cubwHBPqSrgEJqQ60_35-1_zpskfa

They are a nice idea but i dont like having wires running around the dash i like to have everything tooked away and tidy,

The stereo is iPod and Android app compatable allowing full control via headunit so no need to have devices visible,

They can remain hidden at all times within the armrest.

Lenny, if you fancy 'disposing' of your 12V Socket out of the armrest console (what with your straight swap to a USB port an' all), I am still looking at installing one in my boot. ;) :D

Bagsies if its going. :P

Sounds good to me mate,

I'll remove the centre arm rest socket tomorrow morning and despatch to you for 7 pounds to cover shipping and envelope,

Alternatively there available from ford for 10.59 shipped.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FORD-GENUINE-12V-Auxiliary-Additional-Power-Socket-MONDEO-FOCUS-C-MAX-KUGA-/161049412044?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord&hash=item257f4b01cc

• Like 1

Before I comit Lenny I need to source me one of those circular blade/hole cutting wotminots. I have one from doing parking sensors but its on 21mm. Im guessing I need something bigger as usually the internal barrel size is already 22mm (although, without the socket and its size, I cant know. Hmmmm. Any ideas?).

• Like 1

Before I comit Lenny I need to source me one of those circular blade/hole cutting wotminots. I have one from doing parking sensors but its on 21mm. Im guessing I need something bigger as usually the internal barrel size is already 22mm (although, without the socket and its size, I cant know. Hmmmm).

Not sure regarding the size mate i never purchased the whole-saw to drill mine i got inpatient and used the Dremil boreing out the size can afford to be a little untidy with it because the flange of the socket covers any imperfections,

Im in no hurry to get rid of it anyways i was thinking of yourself when offering to despatch as quickly as possible i assumed you were in a hurry to recieve,

You will also need a non insulated female spade crimp connector, 12" of 15amp cable and a ring terminal to earth the socket as saw in the guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29774-guide-additional-12v-power-socket-in-boot-focus-mk25/

AutoStar is a great uk supplier of automotive cables to purchase the crimps and cable see link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/autostar*?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Or

See my eBay listing which has an earth feed with ring terminal attached you would just need a non insulated female spade connector to slide in to the existing orange plug in your car which contains the positive feed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171491081930?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649