Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Usb Memory Stick Invalid Format

maisy-bea

Hello all,

I'm really hoping someone will be able to help me.

I bought an HP 8gb USB stick, so i can listen to music in my 2009 Fiesta.

The problem is, my audio system will play 5 to 45 seconds of one song, then the song will skip and the screen will say invalid file format! I then have to switch the engine off for it to play another 5 to 45 seconds of 1 song.

I've looked about on the internet to see if anyone else has this issue, but haven't really found anything.

The songs came from amazon and they are all .mp3 files. The USB stick itself is formatted as FAT32 and all of the songs is in one folder.

I can play the songs through amazon Cloud Player via bluetooth, but that's a pain, as i have to turn the volume up to 20 or so to be able to hear the music! Then if i forget to turn it down before switching the engine off, when i switch it back on again, the radio will be so loud that it makes me jump!

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm really frustrated!

Thank you!

Hi Emma welcome to the club. Has it always been like this or has it just suddenly started happening? Also have you tried changing the file format on the usb stick?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've only had the car since October, and I've never tried to use the USB before.

What do you mean by changing the file format on the USB stick? (I'm rubbish when it comes to technology!)

Basically the file type might not be suitable for the stereo you're trying to play it on. When you put the music onto the memory stick youbshould be able to convert the file type probably to mp4a

Oh ok, I'll have a look at that then.

It just says in the instruction manual that they have to be .mp3

The manual for the stereo I take it?

Yes, the manual for the stereo.

All it really says is they songs have to be .mp3 and the memory device FAT32...which they both are.

hi and Welcome to the Forums.

Try and re-format the USB stick , then drag and drop the mp3 files on there , you could also try going to

http://www.ford-mobile-connectivity.com/downloadsUpdates

download the update transfer it to the Stick , and follow instructions to update your stereo.

Then once updated re-try your mp3's , don't have the mp3's on at the same time as the update files though

I was going to say the stereo might need an update

Right just reformatted the USB stick and updated the system....still does the same thing! Plays 1 song for 11 seconds this time, then jumped and Invalid File Format came up on the screen!!

So frustrated right now!!!

I have had no trouble with amazon Mp3's , so i doubt it's the file format , have you got another USB stick to try

Hi, I have recently purchased a 2010 fiesta and have had the exactly the same issue, I bought a 32gb integral usb flash drive loaded all mp3 about 24gb and got the invaild file format message, I then tried a mini pny 8gb usb bought a few months ago tried about 3 gb of mp3 same issue. I then tried one of my very old pny memorysticks 4gb which i have had for years and this worked fine no issues same amount of files however as its a bigger memory stick I tend to catch it when putting the handbrake on also this memory stick has a access light flashing. I also have another memorystick exactly the same as my old 4gb pny but it is 8gb tried this today and this is fine also. My only conclusion is the newer memorysticks the ones which are very small must have some sort of software that the software in the ford fiestas are not able to process.

Hello all!

Thank you for your help!

I've used an older usb stick and now it works fine!!! After all that! :)

BUT...now i have another issue...since i have updated the audio system, it doesn't seem to work properly!

I'll unlock the car and on the screen is says update running please wait. So i left it unlocked for about an hour to see if it would go away....an hour later still there!

When i switch the engine on, the message disappears, but the audio system freezes! Nothing will work! Volume, on/off button, nothing!!

To get it to work, i have to switch the engine off and start it again and then it will work.

Help!!

Thank you!

I would run the update again , sounds like it has not completed properly

I tried to run it again, but it says no files found on device. I tried both the new USB stick and older one, but still says the same thing.

The update file must not be in a folder on the drive and I found that the only memory sticks the system would read were the flash drive type.

They weren't in folders on either usb sticks...

Strange it worked before and not now. I know I tried three different sticks before I found the cheap freebee flash drive one I had worked.

I know! It doesn't make any sense to me either! I'm now going to go try again...just in case. Hopefully I was being stupid and doing it wrong earlier :)

Would it say no data on the stick, if the system was up to date?

When I finished updating it, i had to reconnect my phone to the bluetooth, which is why i thought it was all ok.

I would have thought it should still see the data even if it was up to date. I remember having to leave it for an hour with the ignition on until it was complete. It may be a bit different on yours as mine has the satnav built in.

Hi, When i did the update i had to reconnect my phone again via bluetooth so that sounds normal it also stated no files when i plugged the usb in until i turned the ingition key to the second notch , i tried to do the update again recently and followed the same process as shown on youtube and the dispay said system software already up to date as you have not received this i would suggest following as btmaldon says and try again. I would also format the usb again extract files directly to usb and follow intructions to update and leave for min 1hr if you have a usb that flashes when accessed then use that one you will see it start stop once complete you should have a lenghtly time without it flashing. Hope this helps

Update: I have brought a SANDISK 16GB CRUZER FIT USB MEMORY STICK DRIVE PEN from eBay and just tried this and works fine Happy days :)

Thank you for that. I did just download the files again and tried it, but it still said no files found on device. I'll format the usb and try again. The older one does indeed have a light on it, so i'll keep an eye out for that.

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but for me to be able to turn the radio on to do the first step, i have to start the car then switch it off first, as soon as i unlock the car, the update running please wait will appear on the screen and will cause it to freeze.

I have tried to just plug it in with that on the screen and turn on the ignition, but it still says no date stored in device.

Morning,

I formatted the usb and tried again this morning....no files on usb device!

Please help! I really don't know what to do!

Thank you!

When you say update running please wait and the screen freezes, does it still show please wait. All though its been a long time since I did mine, Im sure I thought it had frozen up the first time. That's why I had to leave it for an hour or so.