#1 DF10

DF10

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus MK1
  • Year: 1999

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

In the middle of some engine jobs, thought I would do the head gasket whilst I had the belt off. My car is, via log book and was sold as, a 1.4. However the cylinder head and induction manifold has 1.6 stamped on it, plus putting the head codes into google throws up 1.6 a few times. The gear box code also shows 1.6 in 2 results. There are no stickers (which from searching looks the way to tell) left on the block for me to confirm. I need to try and confirm its not just the head that's been changed.

Is it even legal for the used car place I brought it from not to disclose this? Basically I have been driving with invalid insurance for the last 6 months.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 IINexusII

IINexusII

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 427 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

put your VIN in here and it should give you the engine size http://www.etis.ford...eRegSelector.do

#3 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Sometimes different engine capacities share the same parts, the 1.4 may just be a 1.6 with a smaller bore or shorter stroke, with almost all the parts being identical      

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,234 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

could be an engine replacement on the other side of it, so check with the DVLA what there records show, as a replaced engine should have been registered with them...

#5 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,282 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

1.4 and 1.6 100bhp share the same parts the ti vct is totally different so wouldnt fit but the standatd 1.6 is the same engine as foca says the gearbox has been the same since 1999 all focis under 2.0 petrol use an ib5 gearbox

#6 DF10

DF10

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Ok, so I checked the vin and it shows a 1.4. The block has 1.6 stamped on it and the engine code is 4m5g xxxx KA. Is this a coincidence or has this had a 1.6 KA engine installed?

Edit: should have read the above properly, so it's likely a 1.6 (hence the stamp) but with smaller bore and stroke. Right?

#7 DF10

DF10

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Oh, also, the head looked like !Removed!, there was what looked like the remains of a valve right next to an exhuast valve seat and a crack... My friend pointed me in the direction of another friend who had a full 1.6 head with 3 month gurantee for a bargain £70 so though may aswell. As my old head was a 1.6, if it turns out it is a 1.4 block still, this should fit straight on right... Or do I need to put in a cancel call? Would cams be different etc

#8 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,540 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Ok, so I checked the vin and it shows a 1.4. The block has 1.6 stamped on it and the engine code is 4m5g xxxx KA. Is this a coincidence or has this had a 1.6 KA engine installed?

Edit: should have read the above properly, so it's likely a 1.6 (hence the stamp) but with smaller bore and stroke. Right?

If it was a KA 1.6 it would only be an 8 valve engine.

#9 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

DF 10 - , so it's likely a 1.6 (hence the stamp) but with smaller bore and stroke. Right?

FOCA -

When the engine was made its likely the 1.4s and the 1.6s were made at the same time on the same production line, and shared many (probably most) parts

Instead of designing 2 different engines, to save money/ production costs 1 engine is designed (eg the 1.6L) it uses the same tooling etc even the block castiing may be the same, and "sleeve liners" installed and smaller pistons (smaller bore to make the 1.6 into a 1.4) and/ or the crank pin is repositioned to give a smaller stroke, and perhaps the top of the block machined down   

The outside of the engines (1.6/ 1.4) may look identical, (the blocks/ heads may be cast in the same mould), all the ancillaries may be identical (like the inlet manifold) and may have the same part numbers

Ford have done this for many years  

the gearboxes may be identical too

many manufacturers do this, and share engines with other manufacturers, to save money, there are many examples of this

Nowadays the same capacity engine may have different power outputs (eg - 90, 100 and 109 PS 1.6L Fords, but they are also shared with PSA - Citroen/ Pugs etc ) these engines are often identical, but with different maps, or small changes like injectors etc

Some forums have resident geeks that could tell you the exact parts that will fit, the place it was made, etc etc, i cant help you because its not a Mondeo... :(

Watch out for conflicting information if you google it  

#10 DF10

DF10

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

DF 10 - , so it's likely a 1.6 (hence the stamp) but with smaller bore and stroke. Right?

FOCA -

When the engine was made its likely the 1.4s and the 1.6s were made at the same time on the same production line, and shared many (probably most) parts

Instead of designing 2 different engines, to save money/ production costs 1 engine is designed (eg the 1.6L) it uses the same tooling etc even the block castiing may be the same, and "sleeve liners" installed and smaller pistons (smaller bore to make the 1.6 into a 1.4) and/ or the crank pin is repositioned to give a smaller stroke, and perhaps the top of the block machined down   

The outside of the engines (1.6/ 1.4) may look identical, (the blocks/ heads may be cast in the same mould), all the ancillaries may be identical (like the inlet manifold) and may have the same part numbers

Ford have done this for many years  

the gearboxes may be identical too

many manufacturers do this, and share engines with other manufacturers, to save money, there are many examples of this

Nowadays the same capacity engine may have different power outputs (eg - 90, 100 and 109 PS 1.6L Fords, but they are also shared with PSA - Citroen/ Pugs etc ) these engines are often identical, but with different maps, or small changes like injectors etc

Some forums have resident geeks that could tell you the exact parts that will fit, the place it was made, etc etc, i cant help you because its not a Mondeo... :(

Watch out for conflicting information if you google it  

Great post, very insightful, thanks.

I was a little bit excited I actually had 1.6litres hiding under the hood! Ha
Cool, well I'm going to presume this 1.6 head is going to do the job then.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users