Situation is: I have a Renault Megane 2003 plate. Bought for £2500 a year ago. The car has been nothing but trouble since I got it.
It passed its MOT last week somehow and I think this may be a good time to sell it. The car has two warning lights on (air bag and toxic fume indicator light).
I've sought advice about what to do and the consensus seems to be, sell and buy one for whatever I get for the car, especially as I have no money.
So my question is:
1. Is a MK1 ford focus a good bet? Something like a Y registration or similar - bear in mind my budget of a max of £1500
2. Reliability is the biggest issue - not sportyness or speed or whatever. I just want one that works
3. I'm sure you will recommend a Ford as this is the Ford forums. I did consider a Corolla too as I know Toyota is good too
4. If I buy a focus, the milage is likely to be about 80'000 K plus. Is there any issues with this, e.g. cam belts, long running issues that I should be aware of?
5. Going for a petrol I think as diesel generally costs more. i use it every day to get to work and back which is a total of 26 miles (13 there and back) which is on back roads.
6. Anything else I should consider or know?
Thanks everyone for your help.