Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ka Electrical Problems?

bignige123

Hi

Bought a 51 plate 1.3 KA on Saturday. It is not the best example but will clean up nice.

I think that it has been stood for some time (up to a year or so).

Drove lovely all day Saturday - found that the stereo does not work - no light, nothing. Also interior light does not come on when doors opened - but will come on if you push it upwards.

Sunday morning it was dead and so jump started it.

Same this morning (Monday).

Now, in addition to the stereo and interior light issues, drove it home from work today with the headlights on - constant high pitch noise (the noise that you get when you stop and leave the lights on).

The noise is constant whilst driving - only stops when the headlights are switched off.

Anyone any idea what is going on? The garage I bought from have not yet looked at it but have offered to put new battery on.

I don't know the first thing about cars - all I need to know is some idea what is causing the problems and is likely to be expensive to fix?

Am I likely to keep finding what seem to be electrical problems with the car - I paid £550 for it and it is a 1.3 petrol and has 120K on the clock - it does not have electric windows.

Thanks

Nigel

screech sounds like slack fan belt.

could also be the reason battery is going flat, check the belt, might only need tightening, then with that done check the charge rate.

interior lights is either poor connections within the lamp itself, or more likely, the door switches.

radio can be anything from a fuse to blown stereo

• 1 year later...

We forget that car electrics are only 12volts. The slightest resistance will prevent current flow. Use an aerosol electrical contact cleaner on any joints in the wiring. Also clean the battery terminals with the square edge of a screwdriver, scrape all the gunk off till they shine. Also the clamps. Smear Vaseline on top after you have refitted them. Check out any earth cables screwed down to the bodywork and clean them. use a small file or emery cloth (girlfriends nail file is good) .The earth cables are generally coloured black and attached with ring crimps

Hey I no this is a long shot but I had this problem an my alternator wen not long after so I changed that an no noise at all nw so dnt rule this out

Sent from my C6603 using Ford OC mobile app

• 4 months later...

Hi guys I'm having problems with my o/s front and rear side lights, changed fuse cos this was blown, replaced fuse but keeps blowing??? Checked all the earths in rear of car checked for frayed wiring but can't seem to resolve this? Any ideas guys?

• 4 years later...

Hi, I have an intermitten problem with my 2013 Ford KA Zetec. Basically it was fine say when I started the car to leave work, drove to supermarket parked the car, when i tried to start it on my return the car was just dead no sound from the engine at all..but the dashboard lights came on as usual when u start the vehicle....any ideas...this has happened a few times... I have just had a new battery fitted but the garage couldnt find anything wrong (when doing their diagnostic). A week later it happened again...any ideas,  its at the garage now...i am waiting for their call...arghhhh!!!!

Could be various things like it needs a new starter motor.(or the carbon brushes inside it but no one seems to do that now). Or faulty ignition switch. Or something in the wiring. Intermittent problems are the worse things 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club