Car Insurance Loonesy

Jwsturner

I've started down the road of modifying my Fiesta. The mods planned are:

Suspension

Big brakes

18" alloys

Engine mods to get to 120-130 bhp

Insurance quote £1000 baring in mind I'm 40

Unmodified Corsa VXR which obviously has most of the things I have planned on the fez and has more than twice the power as my car. Insurance quote £280

Just think it's mad. If a 40 year old married bloke with a good job and kids is planning to spend thousands on mods. I'm hardly going to be irresponsible. It would be looked after and cherished.

So it maybe off to the dark side and get a Corsa VXR Nurbergring.

Suspension

Big brakes

18" Alloys

Unmodified Corsa VXR which obviously has most of the things I have planned on the fez and has more than twice the power as my car. Insurance quote £280

Just think it's mad. If a 40 year old married bloke with a good job and kids is planning to spend thousands on mods. I'm hardly going to be irresponsible. It would be looked after and cherished.

Please don't, they look like utter chav mobiles, a VXR is around me on the way to work nearly every day and it looks like the stupidest little box I have ever seen and the driver looks like a total prat.

Please don't, they look like utter chav mobiles, a VXR is around me on the way to work nearly every day and it looks like the stupidest little box I have ever seen and the driver looks like a total prat.

Agreed. I've driven Vauxhalls in work and don't like the Corsas at all. Not driven a VXR but it does just look cheap and chavvy to me.

Then again, lots of people do like them and if it's so much cheaper then you might just have to. Unless there's not an alternative?

Personally if I was going to go for something with power/performance I'd look to something German, Audi most likely.

I've wanted an Audi S3 for ages but it'd be too expensive for me on insurance as I'm 22. That and they're real thief magnets.

If it was up to me I'd go for an RS4 as I prefer bigger cars, was totally against the Fiesta till my Focus got too much of a liability and I sat in my current car and found the rear seating area was just big enough for my folks.

I prefer small(ish) cars myself. I rarely have people in the back or much stuff in the boot so a 5-door S3 would be plenty big enough for me.

The Corsa insurance is obviously cheaper because they're assuming it won't be driven in public - wouldn't be caught dead in one of them! ;)

A factory standard car is always going to be cheaper to insure than a modified one, even if the factory one has better performance (the insurance company know that everything factory fitted will be done to safety standards, aftermarket not necessarily)

Personally I like the VXR. And it would have to be in Arden blue. As a car it's supposed to be the most sorted VXR model. The Nurburgring version is better still. Yes an S3 or RS4 would be nicer, but more expensive to buy for an older car and higher insurance and maintenance. I'd go for a Fiesta ST, but more than I want to pay at the moment.

And my choice if slightly more expensive car would be a Mk2 Focus RS, in ultimate green of course.

It's disgusting! Possibly try a different insurance company? Admiral for one don't tend to be bad with Mods. I'm with Direct Line and they wanted to charge me an extra £500 for window tints. PFFFFFFFFT!

Adrian Flux insures my Colt for £50 more than another company wanted for it to be bog standard, and it's running 220bhp with a track set up :P

It's disgusting! Possibly try a different insurance company? Admiral for one don't tend to be bad with Mods. I'm with Direct Line and they wanted to charge me an extra £500 for window tints. PFFFFFFFFT!

I'm with Admiral too, I finally got to add my 4 years no claims from New Zealand on to my policy and it dropped my monthly payment by £20+ ! :D

As I got that sorted I asked the lady on the phone how would several mods, (Zetec-S spoiler, Z-S diffuser, twin tailpipe, short shift gearbox, black painted alloys) affect my policy, she said as long I declared every single one clearly and preferably did them all at one time, my monthly payment would go back up to what I was paying before the price drop!

So basically my bonus would offset all the mods I had in mind and my car would be personalised to me.

Yay for Admiral!

*EDIT* p.s spraying my Titanium alloys black would not affect my policy at all as long as they are still the 16" ones that came with the car ^_^ ;)

James

Of course you could always not declare the mods and take the risk, that is what the young guys tend to do. But not really recommended especially for us more mature and sensible drivers!

I have driven Corsa's as hire cars and they are c**p. Inside is just cheap, no power, granted only driven 1.2 and 1.4's but compared to equivelent Fiesta's they are just no comparison.

Audi S3 or S4 would be my choice as well but are suffering a bit of teh old BMW image, you know noone will let you out at junctions and you have to drive in the boot of the car in front on teh motorway at 90+.

Haha a sight that plagues our motorways throughout the country - a BMW driver tailgating and the driver wearing sunglasses no matter the weather :D

• 2 months later...

Suspension

Big brakes

18" Alloys

I was driving into town yesterday when a little red car came out of knowhere and sat very close behind me, every time icame out of a mini roundabout (there are loads of mini roundabouts, 40mph limit) it would race up behind me and "sit on my bumper"

up ahead there was a large roundabout, leading onto a steep uphill sliproad then onto a Motorway

Now i don't speed or race on the road, but i don't think its safe having cars following too close behind, so i turned my boost up to stage 3, on with the waterspray, and "booted" it out of the roundabout and up the sliproad, the little red car fell behind a little, now i know if i don't "boot" the car at least now and again its bound to "coke up" and i though this was a good time to "open it up/ give it a clean out" the Mondeo pulled meters away from the little red car, and was eventually quite a bit further up the road. (but the little red car was still in sight) - but i felt i had a reasonable gap now, just in the interests of safely :)

In time i had to stop at traffic lights i was turning left and sat in the line of traffic, the little red car was going straight on and now (finally) cought up, the lane the little red car was in was clear of traffic and as it slipped past i got a better look at it, on the bootlid it said "Corsa VXR" :lol:

get a quote from greenlight, they specialize in modified car insurance

i was with admiral paying i think 1100-1300 for my focus but just before renewing i changed addresses, admiral then quoted me £2400 :o :o to insure it at my new address

i did a quote online with greenlight and a day or 2 after they got back to me with a price of £695 from the insurer markerstudy. thats with all modifications declared and thats insured at my new address which admiral quoted me 2 and a half grand at

it has since gone up by 96quid though as a change of job has made me need business cover on my policy but its still less than a grand which i'm happy with for my age i suppose

joke is that when i phoned admiral to say i wouldnt be renewing with them they said would i stay if they matched the lower quote. some how i dont think they would of knocked nearly two grand of their quote to come down to 695quid

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club