Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Loss In Power... Again!! :(

Mad85

Must be the most unreliable engine I have ever come across. My 1.6TDCI is playing games ... again... it feels unresponsive and very hesitant to accelerate! The engine has done 94K miles, I service it regularly, every 5K using Total full synthetic oil. The car has had the DPF removed and a remap to get out a bit more power. Also recently I changed the Mass Airflow sensor. Not sure if it has anything to do but recently fixed the alternator (new regulator and rectifier). I can hear a slight whine and a knock which sounds like coming from the top of the engine. The turbo feels to be working normally, it boosts normally at least. There is a slight flatter sometimes when I take my foot of the accelerator but I think that's because I removed the dpf.

I came up with the following possibilities which should help/fix the problem:

1. new injector seals/o-rings.

2. using BG244 fuel treatment.

3. using BG109 engine flush on my next service (next month).

any ideas?

When was the last time the likes of the fuel filter was replaced? and the air filter for that matter?

I change the air filter, fuel filter and oil filter every 10K or 1 yr. So the last time I changed the fuel filter and air filter was in October. oil filter is also changed mid-year or @5K interval, which is now due in April.

Sorry to ask perhaps a pertinent question, but where they installed correctly.

Generally, resistance to behave and respond quickly tends to come from the fact that the resources it needs when you ask it to go, are not there, that can be either fuel or air...

Whether this is specifically down to the filters, or the injectors is a different matter, but its a good place to start!

well, the filters were installed by my mechanic who I hope knows what he's doing but he is quite knowledgeable where it comes to hdi/tdci engines.

ok so we should be able to eliminate those...

Are there any error codes at all?

Just checked this morning, no error codes. I also use Torque PRO. I used to get about 119BHP (thanks to engine remapped) but this morning the best I saw was 97BHP. At least I know its not just my imagination :(

I'd say get the turbo checked,

Sounds like it's had its day.

i'll check it again. does not sound like the turbo. I checked it a couple of months ago when I changed the MAF sensor. impeller had a bit of play but nothing out of the normal. No out-in play. There was also some oil in there but i believe its normal for modern diesels?

Tbh I still reckon turbo.

A small bit of end float is acceptable but it's hard to predict what movement you're getting on spin up.

if the turbo is going, would nt i get a lot of smoke? hardly any smoke comes out even when I rev it, unless its Under load (accelerating up hill), where i was told it smokes a bit but nothing which should worry me. How can I make sure if the turbo is ok or not?

Check the "tubocharger boost pressure regulator valve" . It's in the back of the engine under the common rail.

It's made by Pieburg and it is known to cause problems like loss of power and black smoke.

Also check the vacuum pipes and hoses.

Thanks a million geos. Forgot about that. Do you have any suggestions how to check it? is it difficult to remove?

I also had a look at the turbo and it looks ok, spins freely etc. I also took the car for mot this week and no smoke came out.

Last week I also does a can of BG244 and since than I am hearing a sort of tapping noise, not sure if its the BG244 doing its job though. Will see after a refuel i guess.

It's easy to check. If you replace the vacuum hose from the wastegate actuator with a length of hose and try to create vacuum. You should see some actuator rod movement.

To get to the turbocharger boost pressure regulator valve you will have to get under the car and remove the plastic shield.

On my 1.6 tdci 90HP unit it's on the right side of the car just bellow the common rail.

The tapping noise is a common issue with this type of engine. It's probably carbon buildup. I hear there are some non intrusive methods for dealing with this. It involves some cleaver machine + chemicals that are capable of cleaning the fuel/exhaust system.

• 1 month later...

Ok, back to this topic... After a month and a few hundred euros less in the pocket I have (seems like) eliminated a 'Turbo Over Boost' condition which had come up. This is what was done:

1. Applied BG244 engine cleaner.

2. Changed all four glow plugs (an error came up suddenly).

3. Changed the Intercooler hose pipe which had cracked.

To be honest I have not seen a big difference which means that there must be something else. I will try to check the boost pressure regulator when I have time. Thanks for all the help

• 4 weeks later...

So, back from the garage and was told that there is excessive carbon build up on the turbo oil feed pipe which means that some how exhaust is leaking from the turbo (shaft?) outside, rather than through the exhaust system. The mechanic is adamant that this means that the exhaust system is clogged and needs to be cleaned/replace parts of it.

Does this make sense? DO I need to worry about carbon build up also inside the turbo ?

thanks a lot

I would give it a crack with BG244 / BG245, that will clear the carbon out, and shouldnt require any more than about £25 for the cleaner... I anticipate that your mechanic still insists on charging a lot more.

BG244 already tried. So i would guess it needs some manual cleaning

Also, when I applied the BG244 I could hear the injectors were much louder! is that normal?

yeah as its decarbonising, you would expect a little more noise.

I understand. I dont suppose it would be a good idea to dose again though right? i think I will just take it to the exhaust workshop and have it checked there. Hope I get something. Really fed up because apart from these problems, I really love this Ford :(

well another tin wont do it any harm, but you have one other alternative that will do your car more good than bad, and may still cost you less than the garage... Terraclean...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41765-terraclean-seems-to-be-spreading/

unfortunately we dont have such services (that I know of) where I live :(

that is a shame, perhaps in this circumstance a trip to your mechanic is the best bet, but I would say not before pricing up the new parts that they advised they would clean! if you can get new parts for very little price difference, it may seem overkill but at least its one less thing that will pack up later!

You can get a the oil feed kit for about £100 on eBay and other Ford parts suppliers.