Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6tdci [110] Titanium
  • Year: 2007

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Had another look and its clear the carbon is coming out from the turbo since there is a black patch on the turbo on the side where the pipe is (I sometimes clean the engine with some engine cleaner so i know it must have happened recently). Injector seals still in the plan though but I have a real possibility that I would require cleaning up the turbo.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 Mad85

Mad85

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

exhaust workshop told me that the CAT was quite dirty and decided to drill right through it! Remap should keep my vehicle MOT friendly!

#33 Mad85

Mad85

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Car is same as before  :angry: ... Thursday going to replace injector seals and after that thinking about the turbo and clearing the egr. Is it wise to just replace the turbo with a new one just because I suspect it on its way out? Dont really want to spend senseless cash but if it is really going, than it would be much better and cheaper to replace it before disaster happens. Car has done around 100k miles so its probably normal that it would be going???

#34 dreadz

dreadz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Name: ade
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

well i'm having similar probs... had new turbo and everything needed replaced- 2000 mile into new turbo i get bearing noise. garage have stripped and said bearing failed- oil pickup etc blocked yet again. replaced all under warranty- but had noticed that injector 3 is yet again leaking???  had all new seals- ehat causes this seal to leak all the time?

what i am after is when i get the oil changed, is the pickup filters easily accessable to change them too? this filter seems to be doing its job  but getting blocked very easy?? obviously the leaking injector is causing the carbon issues -so that needs resolving 1st.

stressing me out big time this car..may just get rid and get a petrol engine instead!

#35 geos

geos

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus II Combi

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

http://www.caparts.r...manufactur/ford

Use the above link to find the banjo bolt that holds the pickup oil  filter.
Some have just removed this filter altogether.

It's amazing how PSA managed to fool so many with their engines .The same engine is used by Citroen,Peugeot,Ford,Mazada,Volvo,Mini.

Do the smart thing and change your oil ( and oil filter) every 5000 miles.
Also try to use higher revs (change gear above 2500 rpm) when driving in town.

Regards,

#36 Mad85

Mad85

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

OK! More about the progress of my Saga with this engine... Loss in power and rubbish economy (38mpg - used to get at least 43!).  I have now

1.removed the catalytic converter

2.cleared the EGR

3.replaced injector seals.

Apart from that I had:

1. Used BG244 injector cleaner - might go for another can!

2. removed DPF

3. replaced a split intercooler hose

4. replaced the airflow sensor

5. had it remapped

The problem is that I dont feel the 'sudden' burst of power which I usually felt when I put down the paddle. It is also rubbish at taken off (actually stall it when I am not careful!) and its really rubbish with the AC on.  I have heard that rising temperatures will affect economy and power but this much? Where I live it got up to about 34 degrees celcius. I only feel a slight improvement at night.

#37 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,731 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

unfortunately fella, that sounds like you might be suffering a blown turbo. First of all, disconnect the air hose and stick your finger in the hose - is it oily? if so you may be suffering an issue I also seem to have. If there is oil, stick your fingers in the turbo and try move the impeller, if you get a little bit of play (by the sounds of what Foca said in the issue I have) it could be expected as there is a little bit of play, but if you find that something doesnt feel right (a lot of movement, or damage) then you may be in need of a new turbo.

As to how you go about this, is your choice, I would personally recommend looking into getting an extended warranty on the car if you can find someone who will offer it. If the car goes pop in the coming months, it will most likely be covered, and you pay an excess, plus the total cost of your policy and you still save yourself hundreds of pounds!

#38 Mad85

Mad85

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for replying!

Believe me if i were certain that the turbo needs replacing i would buy it right now but its not a cheap replacement.. not something i want to change 'just in caes' hehe. There is no play and there is oil in the hose but its normal due to the breather. What i think i am experiencing is sticky vanes of the variable geometry. Ill think about it. Might just get a new turbo after all...

#39 geos

geos

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus II Combi

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...9daf6a7&vxp=mtr

#40 Mad85

Mad85

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

apart from changing it of course, is there a way of knowing for sure that the pressure converter needs replacing?

#41 Mad85

Mad85

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Finally found some time to change the boost pressure regulator but it made no difference... I also have another problem with the car not starting at all/cutting out now which I am discussing in another thread! :(

#42 filesy

filesy

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: jackie
  • Ford Model: focus tdci
  • Year: 2006

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

Can anybody tell me where the turbocharger boost pressure regulator valve is located on a focus 1.8 tdci please, im having similar problems, thanks.

#43 Mad85

Mad85

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

On the 1.6 tdci, its at the back of the engine. Best way to get access, just remove the under-shield and there it would be. But then again the 1.6 and 1.8 are completely different engine.

#44 filesy

filesy

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: jackie
  • Ford Model: focus tdci
  • Year: 2006

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, it's not the same as the 1.6, thanks.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users