Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Focus Issues. Newbie Ford Owner!

PersonaNonGrata

Hi everyone!

I have noticed my focus drinks petrol like crazy. For example I put in £30 petrol and it was gone in a few days pretty much and I only did a about 60/70 miles.

It also vibrates in idle.

I have put in a new air filter and new spark plugs and it has made no difference. Doesn't appear to be a fuel leak anywhere either.

I do have a engine light on which I'm getting checked out on Saturday. Is that something to do with it ?

60/70 miles from £30 petrol yeah ide say you have a major issue there the engine light may well be part of it but to be honest ide expect there to be a leak in the tank somewhere to use that much fuel in such a short mileage you did the plugs but usually you need to replace the coil pack and leads ide take it in and explain the heavy fuel usage the vibration etc and have a diagnosis done

My cousin works in a garage and will check the engine light for me. I will get a coil pack and replace on Saturday and new leads for the spark plugs too. Hoping all that fixes the petrol consumption! Will get him to do a full body check incase there is a leak somewhere. I don't think the previous owner changed anything in the car for a long time.

i wouldnt change anything till you know what the cause is from the fault codes no point spending money if you dont have to if it was the coil pack you would have misfiring

I would agree... Rough idle as well as excessive fuel consumption could mean very rich running. Does the exhaust smell of unburnt fuel? Diagnostics, a through service, and an emissions check should sort things..

thanks for the advice so far.

It did used to stutter/vibrate when changing gears but new spark plugs fixed that. Now it just stutters/vibrates when in no gear at all when its stationary. I will buy a new coil pack to fix that issue.

I will get the engine light read on saturday but it only appeared when my cousin removed a cable i think that was connected to the air filter, after changing the air filter the engine light stayed on.

When driving it runs like normal but just consumes too much petrol! i was shocked out how much petrol it is drinking compared to my last car.

What about if i get a software dashboard update from ford? I havent smelt any fuel from the exhaust yet but it misfires when in stationary. Something it didnt do when i first had the car. Had it about 2 weeks now.

Dashboard update would do no good. Have you had the codes read yet. If the light came on after you removed the cable from air filter, sounds like car thinks there is an issue with the maf sensor. As i said, codes read, clear any faults or fix, and go from there....

Hi everyone.

So got it checked yesterday and the computer said its a coil 4 error. I am getting a new coil pack tomorrow and hopefully that will fix the misfire and fuel consumption problems!

Fingers crossed.... make sure the fault codes get cleared as well...

I saw a coil pack for £18 at the gsf website and the ignition cables for £16. I'm going there in the morning then to the garage my cousin works to get it fitted. He mentioned to not start the car after installation and to clear the codes like ChrisH mentioned. Fingers crossed it gets sorted! Then I can enjoy my car more haha

Only fit a genuine coil pack anyone on here will tell you focis dont like non genuine parts and they always fail quickly same with the leads ive tried cheap ones before and they were a waste of money and misfiref

Thanks for the advice artscot79 , I will be careful when buying the parts. I did buy Bosch spark plugs from this place. They must have genuine parts there.

Theres many makes of coil pack genuine is Bosch some places sell cheap copies that last a few months then back to new leads and coil packs again

Ok I got it replaced and car is running smooth and petrol consumption seems better and there is no misfire. I think my cousin said there's some kind of build up in the exhaust that will clear after a few days. So thanks for the advice. Slight bit of bad news I hit a pothole and dented my driver side alloy wheel and have a slow puncture!