• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDCI Focus Sport
  • Year: 2006

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Just after a bit input on decattign a mk2 1.8 tdci focus

dont know if anyones looked, but the cat on them is right after a bend out of the engine and then a flexi pipe straight after.  looks totally different to the other ford cats which have decats on ebay :(

looks like my going to have to reck the current cat to do this, which obviously im not overly happy about

iv thought of several options for it but cant settle on a definite one

also, it seems every garage looks at the issue of decat diesels differently, some are fine some arent. the most recent i went to said it was instant fail if they see it missing

..if i find one happy without having the actual cat and its just off the emisions it also seems like the result will be totally luck. some diesels are fine on suet, others will struggle!

Any inputs are welcome guys :)  ..have you had on or looked? ..anything! lol

Cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Aldoo

Aldoo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

and the options iv thought are:

-hollow the current one

-chop the actual cat out and weld a pipe from the bend

-get a cheapo used cat off ebay to hollow and fit so it looks like theres on there but i still have one i could re-weld

..no idea to be honest :(

#3 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,514 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

Diesel's aren't required to have a cat, so it wouldn't be an instant failure, however if it's such an issue, get it hollowed out, can probably do that yourself really.

#4 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Pictures?

#5 Aldoo

Aldoo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

should the car pass the sut test without EGR and cat? as if it wouldnt id want to have one to throw on though

but emptying my current one is looking probable

i know most people just empty, but would it not allow better pressure and smoother flow to open it to empty and stick a 2.5" pipe through so its not just a box?

Thanks for the response

#6 Aldoo

Aldoo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc

and thats the sort it is

..seen a lot of search results and read up a lot about your car FOCA, sounds great! :D

cheers

#7 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

I believe that diesels will now fail an mot for not having a cat fitted although they are not required for emissions test.. Might be worth just double checking though

Just double checked this myself with the mot testing regulations, removing the cat on a diesel is still legal. (Section 7)

January 2012 mot changes confusion I think lol

#8 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

As above, I'm sure if the car was built with one, it must be present, visually anyway.....

#9 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

There was a great deal of confusion over the (Jan 2012) changes in the MOT even the testers were confused and required "clarification", and the amendments looked like a "u- turn" to me

it may be as time goes on the changes are phased in/ the MOT tightened up, things that were "advisory" may become "compulsory" in the future and the test becomes tighter

the official line is that it is to make the UK more in line with the EU - but my "gut feeling" is its to force older cars off the road (as the MOT gets tougher it becomes more and more difficult (and expensive) to MOT your old car there will be a point where it is more cost- effective to just buy a newer car)   

I thought i needed a catalytic converter on my diesel car (late 2011), i was running a stainless steel decat,(2-1/2") heatwrapped, and heatwrapped downpipe, straight- through exhaust with "straight through" middle silencer, (the silencer is in the middle for better traction & handling balance compared to having it behind the rear wheels on a FWD car)  and the back box deleted (replaced with unsilenced pipe) (all 2-14" apart from the decat)

its a mk3 Mondeo deisel

I had a EGR delete and a tuning box (i took the tuning box off and reset the ECU for the MOT though)

The car sailed through the MOT (and emmisions - really clean exhaust output) in 2012 i spoke at length to the tester and he said the decat was no problem - only the particulates are measured - there are covers on top of the engine, a heatshield on top of the cat/ decat (but you can see it if you look hard enough and know where to look) and an undertray under the engine, Testers are not allowed to remove covers

The car was a bit louder than stock - but that was not a problem either (testers discretion?) 

in 2013 i thought i may have a problem but again, the decat was ok , failed on windscreen and rear middle ceatbelt (i never use it so i removed it to save weight, along with a few other things) the tester seemed quite impressed with the car - i "picked his brains" and asked a lot of questions, he suggested i just take the back seats out, a brand new windscreen later (heated - don't ask the cost (ouch!)) and missing its back seat i got my MOT certificate in my grubby paws - the back sats weighed a ton (27kgs) so it was just the excuse i needed to leave them out and strip out the back of the car, black out the windows and convert it into a van - with all the lightweight parts and stripping it took it down to a healthy minus 150kgs

Aldoo, - technically the best thing is to cut off the cat, and weld a straight bit of pipe in its place, the same diameter as the pipes with no steps or bumps, if you leave the cat on even with the insides not in, you will lose velocity (flow/ power) but it would be better than having a full cat, though   

I can't remember if it was my idea, but you could build up a lot of heatwrap in a fat "roll" untill the decat/ straight pipe looked like a cat that had been heatwrapped, from the outside, if you know what i mean (i was planning this, but it turned out i did not need to) 

Thanks about the comment about my car - ive not done much to it recently scince the 3rd superchips remap and the electric waterpump - ive got a load of plans for the summer/ when the waeather warms up a bit (if it ever does :) )    

#10 Aldoo

Aldoo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

That's a good idea with the layering the heat wrap ..i guess even if they know its got no cat they can't do anything!

And where did you guys get info on the mot rules? Is there an official direct gov site or anything? Everything iv found seems to just be peoples interpretations of it

The rules are over the top now though. They test things that are totally irrelevant! I looked at old mot certificates when i got mine, it had an advisory because the childseat was on the back seat!!

Cheers guys

#11 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,962 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

That's a good idea with the layering the heat wrap ..i guess even if they know its got no cat they can't do anything!
And where did you guys get info on the mot rules? Is there an official direct gov site or anything? Everything iv found seems to just be peoples interpretations of it
The rules are over the top now though. They test things that are totally irrelevant! I looked at old mot certificates when i got mine, it had an advisory because the childseat was on the back seat!!
Cheers guys

Yes but was part of the advisory because they couldn't test the seat belt?

http://www.motinfo.g...tdocs/index.htm

#12 Aldoo

Aldoo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

No idea ..possibly, will removing that be the same as removing engine covers?

#13 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,962 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

No idea ..possibly, will removing that be the same as removing engine covers?

Not quite sure I know what you mean?

#14 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Cheers guys

I agree, is a bit "jobsworth" with some silly rules that are nothing to do with safety - the baby seat seems like that

I studied the new rules (in late 2011) and was convinced a catalytic converter was nesessary from 2012 on a diesel, suits me fine that it is not (its difficult to interpret the rules) - they may get tougher and an advisory this year may become a compulsory next year - the blue warning light for main beam, and the EML / warning lighs is in that catigory  

(a catalytic converter is nessesary on a petrol engined car  of course, if anyone is reading this, decats are for diesels/ off road petrols - even a rally petrol car has a cat now )

Often, a garage that does repairs can sometimes do MOTs too,  if you get them to do some of the work - they can be very helpful, some seem to have a more positive attitude towards modified cars  

#15 Aldoo

Aldoo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

had a chance to read the rules now im home. It appears that a cat is needed on diesels as well and and also they are allowed to remove covers :wacko:

..i think you lot with decats have good relationships with your garages? lol

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users