Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cooling Fan

refdt

Hi all.

Just wanting a bit of info on a my be problem with my car.

I was driving to work this morning and as always I was keeping my eye on the mpg which was slowly going up whic was Great.

Then for no reason it started going down and when I got to work I noticed that the cooling fan had come on but the engine temp was normal.

Switched the engine of but the fan was still on.

Now this is the second or third time I have noticed this.

So the engine temp was reading ok outside temp was only 4 degrees so why was the cooling fan kicking in doing 60mph down the by pass.

Hope you can shead some light.

Thanks Simon

I'd like to know myself, as mine does too. For example, I know that at 30 miles an hour it'll sit at about 70-80 mpg, (obviously accelerating will drop this, this is an 'instant' figure.) So why, then, does the mpg randomly drop from 50 mpg on the same road, same conditions etc?! I often just put it down to my focus trip comp having an off day.

Edit: I also notice sometimes the mpg will be rocketing up, only to plummet about a mile from home, to what it was at the start! So disheartening!

could the sensor/switch that starts the fan be broken

Had a new temperature sensor fitted but that didn't fix the problem.

Could it be fhe camshaft sensor or the inlet manifold or sensor.

I'd like to know myself, as mine does too. For example, I know that at 30 miles an hour it'll sit at about 70-80 mpg, (obviously accelerating will drop this, this is an 'instant' figure.) So why, then, does the mpg randomly drop from 50 mpg on the same road, same conditions etc?! I often just put it down to my focus trip comp having an off day.

Edit: I also notice sometimes the mpg will be rocketing up, only to plummet about a mile from home, to what it was at the start! So disheartening!

Because putting your foot down more than 1mm will have quite an effect on mpg is part of it, plus road conditions, temperature, etc.

Im more concerned about why the fan is kicking in when there is no need for it to do so.

The mpg going down in my eyes is due to this happening.

So any ideas why it would be coming on when the engine temp shows dead centre and the outside temp is only 4 degrees not as if its the middle of the summer were it my have a reason to do so.