#16 CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 2.0 TDCI,

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Wouldn't the axle stand flatten the weld jack point though? Could you use another puck for the stand?

Only use the pinch weld adaptor for lifting the car via the extra strong weld where the standard jack goes.. Axle stands are placed elsewhere so as to create a very safe working situation..

I would never place the axle stand under the weld mate ! 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 AJ_sXe

AJ_sXe

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Name: AJ
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium
  • Year: 2013

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Only use the pinch weld adaptor for lifting the car via the extra strong weld where the standard jack goes.. Axle stands are placed elsewhere so as to create a very safe working situation..

I would never place the axle stand under the weld mate ! 

Thanks for clearing that up!

Was a bit worried for a sec!

Where could you place the axle stands though.....

#18 CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

These are the jacks I have.. The blue one is a 1.25 tonne and the red one is a 2 tonne. Both are low entry so will go under very low cars and both are aluminium so easy to haul around.. 

The Adaptor shown has a deeper groove cut as it was cut especially for my car while I will cut a fresh one with less depth for the Wife's Fiesta but it gives you the idea..

Once the adaptor is in place and jacked up under the car there is no way it can move. It really is a very stable platform and a safe way to lift your car without the possibility of doing any damage  !.. I have used these for many years on a variety of cars and vans and have never had any issues at all.

BTW Both of the jacks pictured are from Costco.. The red 2 tonne one is on offer at the moment at £107 inc VAT. OK you can buy cheaper but hell are these tools built well and a joy to use !

#19 CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for clearing that up!

Was a bit worried for a sec!

Where could you place the axle stands though.....

Mate we have only just bought the Fiesta for the wife a week ago so I haven't been under the car yet.. But there will be a suitable point to place it .. 

If Im doing say brake pads and discs I will raise the car and put a stand in a suitable place and gently lower the car so its just touching on the axle stand then close the valve on the jack. So in effect both the jack and the axle stand are holding the car and both elements backing each other up..  

#20 MartynS

MartynS

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Name: Martyn
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2
  • Year: 2013

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

That inflatable one - it's inflated by hooking it up to the exhaust.  Isn't that a really bad idea, surely there must be a lot of pressure needed to lift the car?

#21 CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

That inflatable one - it's inflated by hooking it up to the exhaust.  Isn't that a really bad idea, surely there must be a lot of pressure needed to lift the car?

There are ones inflated by a standard garage air compressor.. I have seen one in use and though it was pretty good I prefer a normal trolley jack.

#22 Philf1

Philf1

Ford until I die!

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,707 posts
  • Name: Phil
  • Year: 2014
Contributor

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

That bouncy castle thing can't be serious can it?

Mind you if it is full of exhaust gas imagine putting a match to it when you were done

#23 Wayneo01

Wayneo01

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 tdci titanium

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Just got my pucks but it seems there bigger then my jack so they will probably slip off if i use them. Have to do abit of cutting and make it smaller

#24 CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Just got my pucks but it seems there bigger then my jack so they will probably slip off if i use them. Have to do abit of cutting and make it smaller

Cutting the puck down will reduce stability not increase it.. Some jacks have small plates and this may be a problem.. As you can see from the pictures above the plates on my jacks are much larger than the puck so be very careful !! 

#25 Wayneo01

Wayneo01

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Mine has a very small play so the puck is actually bigger then it haha

#26 Wayneo01

Wayneo01

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Had a quick look under the car before, the front is the easiest to get up with a trolley, i used the wishbone. The rear seems to be abit of a pain, only thing i can really see is the axel to try to do anything with.

#27 CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Had a quick look under the car before, the front is the easiest to get up with a trolley, i used the wishbone. The rear seems to be abit of a pain, only thing i can really see is the axel to try to do anything with.

I haven't looked yet Wayne..  But I would be lifting with the trolley jack with adaptor under the weld where the normal Ford jack would go and put the axle stand under the strongest looking place ..

After all the axle stand is the safety back up and its unlikely that it would be called on but lets be honest here anyone who goes under a car on any jack without said back up would be flaming mad !

#28 SeanW

SeanW

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

That bouncy castle thing can't be serious can it?

Mind you if it is full of exhaust gas imagine putting a match to it when you were done

Absolutely nothing - the stuff coming out of your exhaust has already been combusted.  In fact, oil tankers use exhaust gasses from the engine to inert their cargo tanks.

#29 Philf1

Philf1

Ford until I die!

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,707 posts
  • Name: Phil
  • Year: 2014
Contributor

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Absolutely nothing - the stuff coming out of your exhaust has already been combusted.  In fact, oil tankers use exhaust gasses from the engine to inert their cargo tanks.

Well that's disappointing never mind

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users