Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: PAUL
  • Ford Model: mondeo 2007 2.0 tdci old shape
  • Year: 2007

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hi,

I decided to get myself a tuning box off ebay, CR-box 130bhp - 163 bhp.

Has anyone already tried these? if so what do you think?

I am not really looking for better mpg as stated in the advert etc although that would be good! but I am more interested in a bit of a power gain in the higher gears, the standard Mondi 130bhp seems to stop spinning as wildly when it gets into fourth gear and the torque also seems to drop off a bit, soooo, for £59 english pounds I thought I would give this a go?

I had a 2004 Mondeo Black estate(150 bhp) (full leather etc) a couple of years ago and it did seem to gather much more momentum through the latter gears so I am thinking this tuning box may give me a similar experience?

I will wait for the box and fit it and put my response back on this thread for those that may be interested!

Cheers. 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Avenger1978

Avenger1978

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Name: mark
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Ghia x 130 diesel
  • Year: 2003

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

i have never liked tuning box's,always gone for a remap its better all round... tuning box's just con the ecu...But has i havent had one either for my mondeo (first one ever) as i have just swapped it for my beloved mgzr diesel so love to know how it goes

#3 Huddersfielder

Huddersfielder

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Name: Rich
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I've literally just put one on my focus this evening. Could not recommend it enough! It's a bluespark one. I had a mondeo tddi and fitted a dtuk box which was also very good too. Remaps are great but need to be done properly by a good mapper

#4 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Ive had lotsa remaps. Its the same thing. Dont let anyone tell you different. Both remap and box just increase fuel/air. One does it by fooling the sensor and other does it by changing ecu parameters etc. same thing really. A lot of remap guys wont touch boost etc. Even got my golf done by a guy that said he WOULD increase boost/err impossible on that model (tdi 101bhp pd)

#5 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

....still waiting in anticipation for my delivery of the said box from Germany!

#6 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

let us know how you get on with it.was that box the economy one or performance one? I'm keen to know how much smoke you'll be putting out after ,say 3 months. I put one on my 406hdi,& it spewed out smoke something terrible. I see theres companies that are guaranteeing folk "No Smoke",but dont see how its even possible unless its a bluefin type chip or more expensive box

#7 Huddersfielder

Huddersfielder

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

The dtuk box I used on the mondeo made it smoke a fair bit under load. At the time I put it down to it having 170k miles on the clock ;)

#8 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I dont think its to do so much with the mileage,as it just overfuels the engine. As it doesnt make changes to the turbo boost,there's probabaly just too much fuel,& not enough air. I found that the turbo seems to take a bit of a hammering with them also,whether its with increased temps etc,i dont know.(mind you that was on an HDi engine so....)

#9 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

I dont think its to do so much with the mileage,as it just overfuels the engine. As it doesnt make changes to the turbo boost,there's probabaly just too much fuel,& not enough air. I found that the turbo seems to take a bit of a hammering with them also,whether its with increased temps etc,i dont know.(mind you that was on an HDi engine so....)

Your post seems to contradict itself -  How can "the turbo seems to take a bit of a hammering with them" when you recon "it doesent make changes to the turbo boost" please explain?   

#10 Huddersfielder

Huddersfielder

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

It will be interesting to see what it does on the focus, as its a PSA engine which is more or less the same as a HDi I'm led to believe? It'll be back on eBay if it starts to make it smoke like the mondeo. Its supposed to be a blend of performance and economy, and produce 165hp and 387 nm of torque. We shall see......

#11 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

was down to egr gases/temps going thru turbo. Mind you the hdi engine i had was only a 90bhp,so not enough intercooler/cooling etc. But I AM 100% positive there was not a thing wrong with the turbo before I upped the hp as we put new seals in it etc. Put it this way,the amount of oil in the in the pipe coming from the turbo was unbelieveable,and there wasnt any(when i say any,I mean there was no oily liquid,just a typical sheen,so to speak),just approx 2.5/3 months before.

I see what you mean,after re-reading my post back,& have to say,I'd have asked the same question.

Also,at the time,I thought my hdi ran too hot when booting it,therefore temp increased. Its only recently I learned there was a failure of the cooling fans on some models,but will never know now.

actually now i think back,that 406hdi was thee best car Ive ever owned. Managed to get 138bhp from a 90 lol(maybe a tad on the steep side) :huh:

#12 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

....Hmm as I understand???

my engine was designed to give an output of approximately 150 bhp as fitted/tuned to the titanium X in its finite tune, I thought this tuning box will follow the map for that configuration, it is a digital unit and only alters the fueling and timing etc?

It is apparent to me that some people have fitted these with existing engine problems i.e. blocked egr's, restricted manifolds, bad injectors.....anymore....?

My car is running great right now, no problems what so ever so will give it the go and see what happens, 

#13 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hi all,

Picked my CR tuning box up from the post office earlier and decided to plug it in while I was there, hahaha....big smile all the way home!

There wasnt really that much noticeable difference in first and second gear, maybe that is down to me not really giving it any in those two gears anyway but third fourth and fifth gears are now storming, the pick up is so quick and clean now, it wasnt really a slouch before I fitted the box but when you put your foot down now the power seems to come in instantly and the torque is much stronger,so much it is torque steering in third to fourth!

As above I would say that the 33 bhp gain that they claim is pretty much on the ball, I will not be taking it on a dyno etc to prove anything as it does now feel like a 160 bhp car, it certainly feels much faster than my missis's signum 150bhp elite so thats enough proof for me.

The claimed 20% better economy will take a little longer to suss out and I guess until I stop flooring it with a big grin and calm it down a bit then I will not be able to report on that.....it may take a while ! :D

First impressions are that it is a bargain at the £59 delivered I paid, and the power gain is correct,there does not seem to be any jerkyness or smoke or rough idle,holding revs etc.

I will continue using it for a few weeks and report back here on any changes etc.

cheers.

#14 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Sounds like a bargain at £59

#15 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

have you got a DMF or SMF on your car?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users